E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 11:27 AM   #21
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Location: Well, Dick, here's the deal: I'm the best there is, plain and simple. I mean, I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. You know, nobody can hang with my stuff.
My Ride: Is very FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@maximumpsi View Post
My e46 made almost the same numbers on Technique Tuning's mustang dyno. His is known to read low. Not sure about your dyno.

Keep the pics/info coming if the customer is ok with it! I can't wait to see the results with the 76 and QSV.
I have recently had two customers pick up their cars from us and take them to a dynojet where they both read approx 5% higher. One made 960 here and made 1017 on the dynojet (Billet 7175 turbo). One made 720 here and made 768 on a dynojet (Billet 6766). That would put Tom's 405 @ 425ish on a dynojet.

Thanks Mike, we will be starting a picture/progress thread here shortly!
Sound Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:58 PM   #22
323tom

My Ride: Turbo 323 ;)
well thats a bit more comforting lol, you can never be down on horsepower haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Performance View Post
I have recently had two customers pick up their cars from us and take them to a dynojet where they both read approx 5% higher. One made 960 here and made 1017 on the dynojet (Billet 7175 turbo). One made 720 here and made 768 on a dynojet (Billet 6766). That would put Tom's 405 @ 425ish on a dynojet.

Thanks Mike, we will be starting a picture/progress thread here shortly!
Old 12-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #23
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
[QUOTE=323tom;13870727]well thats a bit more comforting lol, you can never be down on horsepower haha[/QUOTE

AA has a Mustang Dyno and it reads a enough lower than a dyno jet to upset some guys at first.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #24
323tom

My Ride: Turbo 323 ;)
Haha ya at first im like wtf mate I dynod it when I first got the kit installed it was 450 and 320 for pump and pump and meth it was 580 and 450 on a dynapack... never got a chance to dyno with race gas... the dyno guy said his dynapack was calibrated with load on it so it reads like a mustang but apparently not lol....

Edit: heres my car making 577 whp

Here is a video of the shops dynapack vs dynojet comparison they did on a supra...

Last edited by 323tom; 12-07-2011 at 06:40 PM.
323tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:40 PM   #25
Bugermass

My Ride: ZX10R
Mustang Dynos don't read low.. Every other dyno just reads too HIGH!!!!! we also have a mustang dyno and its got the factory cal in it so it reads on the low side as well, but I wouldn't trade it for anything else!!
Bugermass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #26
MSpired

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 e46 M3
Send a message via AIM to MSpired Send a message via MSN to MSpired Send a message via Yahoo to MSpired
DynaPaks always rad extremely high from what I have seen
Old 12-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #27
Bdave

Mistaken Double post. I wish we could erase the whole thing. Sorry.

Last edited by Bdave; 12-07-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:35 PM   #28
Bdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugermass View Post
Mustang Dynos don't read low.. Every other dyno just reads too HIGH!!!!! we also have a mustang dyno and its got the factory cal in it so it reads on the low side as well, but I wouldn't trade it for anything else!!
Poeple who tune with them love them but car owners hate them because they have squashed MANY bragging rights in the past. Some guys go crazy until they take their car out to a Dyno Jet just for the print out.

You know, when a guy spends a TON of money and his buddy is still showing more HP on a Dyno jet VS the guy's Mustang results, it can be worrisome. And it varies. Sometimes its a small difference, other times it can be quite a lot, enough for a car owner to complain about his power output.

Dyno's and their graphs are and always WILL be important to men for so many different reasons and on so many levels. I do wish that every one had the same type. Maybe ban Dyno Jets? From now on on Mustang graphs are legit. LOL.
The thing is, it seems a HUGE majority has a dyno jet. Am I correct on this?
Granted you can get variance from Dyno Jet machines but its MUCh smaller than from other types like the Mustang.
I think someone once came up with a percentage figure or an equation that CONVERTED Mustang results to Dyno jet results. I dont think they were really valid and it never flew.

I have to admit that I was definitely one who had a good idea what my DynoJet reading was going to be my AA car but did not rest until I tracked one down and had a graph printed out. To know for SURE. I think it was like 30 HP higher. A lot for a car in the 400HP range, 410(M)vs 440+HP(DJ). I dont remember exactly.

But it was worth the 75 bucks just for the silly(or not so silly) piece of paper.
At the time. It was still "slow" IMO. I so longed for the HPF rush. Soon. To me its one of the best sensations in the world. I do love it(on occasions LOL)

I think I speak for most (not all) of us when I say its much nicer to see that graph posted with the BIGGER numbers rather than the smaller ones...even though its the same car making the same power. Funny, huh?

Have to stay in practice. Its been a while. I dedicate this overly long, rambling, basically unimportant post to Marcus.
Cliffnotes: Erase this post, forget it, and read what i already said about this subject in the last post.

Last edited by Bdave; 12-07-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:40 PM   #29
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Location: Well, Dick, here's the deal: I'm the best there is, plain and simple. I mean, I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. You know, nobody can hang with my stuff.
So then if this car makes 1000 RWHP on our Mustang dyno, you will be impressed ?? LOL..... I think the bolt together ex manifold will hold us back though.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:52 PM   #30
faelar
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: M3
Quote:
So then if this car makes 1000 RWHP on our Mustang dyno, you will be impressed ?? LOL..... I think the bolt together ex manifold will hold us back though.
Sounds like someone needs to make a tubular jig and start offering an alternative.
faelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #31

My Ride: 2006 BMW M3
Quote:
yeah, that is impressive.. if you were to make one for me, how would u make that much horsepower reliable? maybe 50000 miles or so?!?
68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:06 PM   #32
Bdave

Quote:
Are you referring to the bolt together Steed Speed CNC?
Old 12-07-2011, 08:35 PM   #33
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdave View Post
Are you referring to the bolt together Steed Speed CNC?
Yes I believe so.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:52 PM   #34
6spd_legend

My Ride: acura legend 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by faelar View Post
Sounds like someone needs to make a tubular jig and start offering an alternative.
this- please.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:09 PM   #35
Bdave

Quote:
Yes I believe so.
IYO, is it adequate to flow a 71mm precison turbo making approx 800rwhp?
its all i got and I cant get a new one just right now. Would like to hear your opinion.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:40 PM   #36
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdave View Post
IYO, is it adequate to flow a 71mm precison turbo making approx 800rwhp?
its all i got and I cant get a new one just right now. Would like to hear your opinion.

At 800 the turbo is only moderately working!!

Here is the last 71 car that we built:

Old 12-07-2011, 11:49 PM   #37
zcchen

My Ride: Z3M/E90M3
Haha.. From what I have learned, most dynojet will read the same comparing to other DJs with the same model and settings, while every mustang reads very differently cuz they are not inertia type and the user sets the load.. On DJs U r spinning barrels that are weighted perfectly, while on a mustang you can adjust how much load u put on.. hell.. if you want ur turbo to seem to be spooling sooner, just put more load on a mustang dyno or extend the run time just like it creeping when u go uphill.. Both dynos have their ups and downs.. In my dream shop, it must have both!
zcchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:48 PM   #38
Bdave

Quote:
At 800 the turbo is only moderately working!!

Here is the last 71 car that we built:

We feel the same way. 800hp is a minimum figure. My question is about your opinion on the Steed Speed CNC manifold and if it will evacuate enough gas to not be some major plug in making 800 to 900HP. You mentioned it looked dicey to make 1000rwhp. I was wondering about lesser figures.
We are not about to run out at THIS point to make a custom Tubular manifold. We are hoping that the Steed Speed will work for our reasonably attainable figures. Not a 1000 or any where close. We are not looking at that.
In this case are EGT's telling if there is or is not a bottle neck in the exhaust side?
Old 12-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #39
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Get a back pressure sensor on the manifold! That would tell you for sure!
Old 12-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #40
gringotegra

My Ride: Turbo
Runner diameter on the manifold's has a big factor on the power they can make. I think most higher hp manifolds are normally 1.5" runners. I am willing to bet the SS mani is 1.25" or smaller