E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:05 AM   #301
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
On deads, try to imagine sitting down in a chair for the first actual "movement" which will help keep your back from doing all the pull, but also then try to visualize pushing the earth down...hard to explain, but you want to drive with your feet, not back - thats how injuries can happen (obviously other types of dead and RDL's, this will change)

The slight slowing of the down movement which you already talked about, and DON'T LOOK DOWN with the weight loaded lol. Make sure to look high to keep everything tightened - you're in a corner, you don't need to worry about what crack you're standing on and just get the feel for where your feel should be....mirror might help.

Otherwise, esta bien
there is a mirror right in front of me. Thanks for the tips. On the second paragraph are you talking about squats or deads? I have the mirror in front for deads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
Those DL reps at 260 were way too fast to not even for for the 5th rep. Taking a big breath and holding it before your reps will help you keep a lot tighter. Also, you are almost stiff leg deadlifting the heavier weights. I have that same problem when they get heavy. Try to keep it closer to your body and get a little more knee bend into the movement and push through the ground.

Squats look good though even though you look fat!
haha I do man. i'll take more video on Saturday when I do them again. You think I should deload back to 225?

Last edited by DylloS; 11-30-2011 at 09:10 AM.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:13 AM   #302
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Someone correct me here but wasn't ops knees too fwd in his squat?

I was always trained to not keep your knees past the toes.

Other than that solly keep the work and are u still on paleo?

Maybe it's your shirt but it looks like u have a gut lol

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:25 AM   #303
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
Someone correct me here but wasn't ops knees too fwd in his squat?

I was always trained to not keep your knees past the toes.

Other than that solly keep the work and are u still on paleo?

Maybe it's your shirt but it looks like u have a gut lol
I've never heard of keeping your knees back. I'm not really sure how one can physcially do that without tipping backwards.

Here's a video showing very good form and the cover of the book which the program is based on. Both of which show knees past toes. The bar should be inline with the feet. It wouldn't be possible imo to have bar/knees/feet all in a line.

Here's a link with some info regarding the knees over toes myth
http://www.bodybuilding.net/training...yth-12253.html

and no more paleo right now. I've been eating pretty sh1tty just to get my calories. I may go back to an almost strict paleo diet soon though. And regarding my "gut", I have about a 32inch waist. I guess the combo of the shirt plus the pushing out of the abs makes me look fat lol.

Last edited by DylloS; 11-30-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:55 AM   #304
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Thanks for the link - Hah my xfit instructor always hounds me for my knees over my toes

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:59 AM   #305
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
Thanks for the link - Hah my xfit instructor always hounds me for my knees over my toes
crossfit teacher says that? wow. Like the link said, it really depends on your anatomy. My legs are longish I guess so I really can't help it. Send him the link anonymously lol

I'd just like to add that I am the sorest I've been so far on the program today. upper back, chest, legs are all hurting.

Last edited by DylloS; 11-30-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:05 AM   #306
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Second paragraph was squats. I think one thing about knees in front of toes is that you have a tendency to end up pushing with the front of your feet and shifting the weight instead of staying on the heels and outside of feet.

Glight brought up a good point....for deads, take a deep breath right before you lift and hold it. This will help protect your spine.

Last edited by BMW_Matt; 11-30-2011 at 11:07 AM.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:20 AM   #307
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
Second paragraph was squats. I think one thing about knees in front of toes is that you have a tendency to end up pushing with the front of your feet and shifting the weight instead of staying on the heels and outside of feet.

Glight brought up a good point....for deads, take a deep breath right before you lift and hold it. This will help protect your spine.
Ok got it. From what I've been reading from Mark Rippetoe is that you should be focusing out about 6 feet to the floor. He says to keep the spine and head in a line.

I haven't had that feeling of pushing with the front of my feet at all yet. In the past when I squatted with sneakers I always felt like that would happen. I'm really glad that's not a problem I have to fix. Right now I workout in socks and soon I'll get some vibrams.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:31 AM   #308
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Ok got it. From what I've been reading from Mark Rippetoe is that you should be focusing out about 6 feet to the floor. He says to keep the spine and head in a line.

I haven't had that feeling of pushing with the front of my feet at all yet. In the past when I squatted with sneakers I always felt like that would happen. I'm really glad that's not a problem I have to fix. Right now I workout in socks and soon I'll get some vibrams.
Do you want me to send you a pair that I got on that sale. If so PM me your size and address and I will get you my paypal account. I'll sell them to you for what I paid + shipping + paypal fees.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:39 AM   #309
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
Do you want me to send you a pair that I got on that sale. If so PM me your size and address and I will get you my paypal account. I'll sell them to you for what I paid + shipping + paypal fees.
I'd love that. I'm just worried I'll pick the wrong size. According to this chart http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/siz...sion_chart.htm with a 10.5 inch foot I would be a 42 in the classic style. I forget which ones you had though. You may know what fits best though. Just PM me your paypal and I'll send the money over. Thanks a lot man
Old 11-30-2011, 06:40 PM   #310
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
im not sure about the knees over your toes. i cant really validate it as my knees are over my toes. its more just sitting your butt back and driving through your heels.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #311
DylloS

Awesome workout today. Everything seemed pretty easy but still heavy. Took two scoops of jacked before workout but I'm not sure if it had anything to do with it.

Barbell Squat:
45 lb x 20 reps
95 lb x 5 reps
135 lb x 5 reps
155 lb x 5 reps
195 lb x 5 reps
195 lb x 5 reps
195 lb x 5 reps
On the last rep I went way very deep and paused for some dumb reason and almost got stuck. A little bit of grunting helped me push back up though.

Standing Barbell Shoulder Press:
45 lb x 10 reps
70 lb x 5 reps
85 lb x 5 reps
95 lb x 5 reps
95 lb x 5 reps
95 lb x 5 reps
95 felt easy today. Maybe the fact that it was one (25lb) plate on each side instead of a bunch of small plates made a difference psychologically.

Power Clean:
95 lb x 5 reps
140 lb x 5 reps
140 lb x 5 reps
140 lb x 5 reps
140 lb x 5 reps
140 lb x 5 reps
felt really good and not too difficult. One concern of mine is that If I have to get low to get under the far I may not be able to front squat it back up. As of right now I have no problems shrugging the bar high though.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:51 AM   #312
DylloS

Mark Rippetoe AMA on reddit. He hasn't answered anything at this point lol

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comm...ting_strength/
Old 12-05-2011, 11:47 AM   #313
coco savage

My Ride: 325i
solly can i come over and work out?!

Random Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post
he's just the resident off-topic ball breaker. Dont take it personally.
coco savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:01 PM   #314
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco savage View Post
solly can i come over and work out?!
yes
Old 12-05-2011, 09:33 PM   #315
DylloS

Barbell Squat:
45 lb x 20 reps
95 lb x 5 reps
115 lb x 5 reps
135 lb x 5 reps
155 lb x 5 reps
195 lb x 5 reps
195 lb x 5 reps
195 lb x 5 reps
Very tough today. The weight is getting really heavy

Barbell Bench Press:
45 lb x 25 reps
85 lb x 5 reps
115 lb x 8 reps
140 lb x 5 reps
140 lb x 5 reps
140 lb x 5 reps

Barbell Deadlift:
135 lb x 8 reps
185 lb x 5 reps
205 lb x 3 reps
240 lb x 5 reps
Old 12-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #316
DylloS

Barbell Squat:
45 lb x 20 reps
95 lb x 5 reps
135 lb x 5 reps
175 lb x 3 reps
200 lb x 5 reps
200 lb x 5 reps
200 lb x 5 reps

Heavy as ****. Best way I can describe it. Good music and grunting help a lot.

Standing Barbell Shoulder Press:
45 lb x 15 reps
75 lb x 5 reps
85 lb x 5 reps
97.5 lb x 5 reps
97.5 lb x 5 reps
97.5 lb x 5 reps
Progressing steadily. Should be increasing for a while hopefully.

Power Clean:
95 lb x 5 reps
95 lb x 5 reps
145 lb x 3 reps
145 lb x 3 reps
145 lb x 3 reps
145 lb x 3 reps
145 lb x 3 reps
getting heavy. I have to make sure I'm exploding through the movements.

Glight, I got the vibrams right after working out. I have them on now to try and get the feel for them. They fit well but feel really weird. My oddly curved pinky toe is a little uncomfortable so hopefully I get used to them.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:59 PM   #317
Hockeyman17

My Ride: 2005 E46 M3 SMG
Do you have a good spot behind you to drop the bar if you fail?
Hockeyman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:46 AM   #318
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
it will all be worth it in a couple months when you see how much your body and strength have changed.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:27 AM   #319
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyman17 View Post
Do you have a good spot behind you to drop the bar if you fail?
My bench has safety bars that I just started putting up the other day. Until now I wasn't concerned with failing but I will probably fail soon so if I do I can just dump the bar on there. Today is 205. 200 was really heavy for me the other day so with a full day of food and last nights good sleep I'm hoping I can get through it easily. Tonight I'll update with my two month progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
it will all be worth it in a couple months when you see how much your body and strength have changed.
I hope so man. I'm more strong than I ever was so this is good for me so far. I don't look too different but I'm not too concerned with that right now. I want to get a decent strength base for when I finally go into the strength and conditioning workouts. I'm just glad I snapped out of the "leg press is just as good as squat" and "ahh I don't need to deadlift" phase. Like I said before, I was just lying to myself lol.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #320
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I'm just glad I snapped out of the "leg press is just as good as squat"
It depends on what your goals are....It can be argued either way.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote