E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #1
Marconi1982

My Ride: 2001 330Ci Sport
Anyone got a clue why i have water pouring from this hole?

I just changed the radiator and thermostat on my 2001 330ci and no i have coolant leaking from this hole at the bottom of the bracket thing that mounts to the rad with two torx screws. Any ideas? Its really annoying me
Attached Images

Marconi1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
Diazz

My Ride: Bmw 325Ci -01
Pic fail :/ Its way to small to see what it is
Old 12-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #3
druggrepp

My Ride: 325ci 2001
try this,
Put car up on jack stands, chock the wheels. get up under front with lower splash tray removed.
have someone start it and wait for it to warm up. The expansion tank is known to leak at the seams once tstat opens up.
That was only way I found my leak.
druggrepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
I'm going to guess that you have a manual car but maybe got a radiator for the automatic...maybe vice versa.

Double check the PN you should have; confirm with supplier that they sent you correct radiator. If OE radiator, you just need to install a different leveling plug I believe. Hope it's that easy for you.

I've seen the same post as yours before a few times. It won't be an easy search, I'm afraid. Try 'radiator' 'leveling plug' see if that helps. Maybe "leaking radiator'?

GL, OP...hth

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:32 AM   #5
Marconi1982

My Ride: 2001 330Ci Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
I'm going to guess that you have a manual car but maybe got a radiator for the automatic...maybe vice versa.

Double check the PN you should have; confirm with supplier that they sent you correct radiator. If OE radiator, you just need to install a different leveling plug I believe. Hope it's that easy for you.

I've seen the same post as yours before a few times. It won't be an easy search, I'm afraid. Try 'radiator' 'leveling plug' see if that helps. Maybe "leaking radiator'?

GL, OP...hth
This was the exact problem. I came to this conclusion after noticing that most other rads for sale have a choice of drain plug housings.
The difference between the two is that the automatic cars have a 70mm long housing that isn't hollow. The manual cars have a 50mm one.

Anyway it's sorted now after much moneys and petrol. A very difficult answer to find on any forum. I ended up being given the OE part for no extra cost and a gallon of coolant too.

I hope this post comes in handy for someone else one day. Ball ache.
Marconi1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:31 PM   #6
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi1982 View Post
This was the exact problem. I came to this conclusion after noticing that most other rads for sale have a choice of drain plug housings.
The difference between the two is that the automatic cars have a 70mm long housing that isn't hollow. The manual cars have a 50mm one.

Anyway it's sorted now after much moneys and petrol. A very difficult answer to find on any forum. I ended up being given the OE part for no extra cost and a gallon of coolant too.

I hope this post comes in handy for someone else one day. Ball ache.
Difficult answer? I found it reading one of only about 10,000 cooling threads...I'm glad I remembered it. My radiator didn't come with a bleed screw, so maybe that's why I was searching around for that info.

Hope you read 10,000 threads on bleeding!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote