E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-24-2010, 02:16 AM   #1
sellsellsell2000

My Ride: E46 seden
Send a message via AIM to sellsellsell2000
DIY e46 Side Mirrors Cover Repair (with pic)

My first DIY, so here goes.....

I have broken off my driver side mirror cover. For the repair, I use electrical ties.

Please see pic below.

Luckily the FOUR tab are still there, just the hook/clip got broken off.

Now comes the repair: I've drilled small holes first to each tab, then expend them with bigger drill bits.

Here is the tricky part, get the longest electrical tie you can fine but small enough to get it through the holes you drill on the tab. I use these:

Added as of 24-DEC-2010:

Here is the image where the electrical ties goes. Make sure you put back the installation foam.

This is how I put it back together. DO NOT TIE IT TOO TIGHT, there might be chance where you can snap off the tab.

NOTE: you will only need TWO electrical ties. In the first image you see FOUR square where the clip use to latches on. Place the electrical tie through it and through the holes you drilled; do it vertically.

Edited as of 24-DEC-2010:

The added picture above should provided a clearer picture of how to repair the 'Side View Mirror Cover', and how the electrical tie should go.

EXTRA - for those who wanted 'Carbon Fiber' on their side mirrors, just remove the side cover without the worries breaking off the latches. With the electrical ties, they are much more sturdy.

/// ( @ )( @ )

BMW /// 323i /// Sedan

OEM M-Tech II front & rear bumper /// Cluster Ring /// Grimace Fog Lights /// DEPO corners /// CCFL angel eye

330i Diff /// REMUS Exhaust /// Heat Shield Cold Air Intake

Last edited by sellsellsell2000; 12-25-2010 at 01:16 AM.
sellsellsell2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
Mannydog

My Ride: '02 330Xi 5spd
Good DIY and great timing (for me). I was washing the winter crud off the car at the car wash today, and my left mirror cover blew off. The good news is, it happened in the car wash, so I was able to retrieve it, and its not very scratched.

Suggestion to improve this as a DIY: show a picture from the rear (the glass side) of the zip ties in place. Also a link to a good mirror glass removal thread (I'm still looking at them for a good one, but I have the idea now).

I really like this type of fix: works well, relatively easy, cheap but doesn't look cheesy.

Thanks for talking the time and effort to post!

Last edited by Mannydog; 12-24-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Mannydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:17 AM   #3
sellsellsell2000

My Ride: E46 seden
Send a message via AIM to sellsellsell2000
As you requested.

/// ( @ )( @ )

BMW /// 323i /// Sedan

OEM M-Tech II front & rear bumper /// Cluster Ring /// Grimace Fog Lights /// DEPO corners /// CCFL angel eye

330i Diff /// REMUS Exhaust /// Heat Shield Cold Air Intake

sellsellsell2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:06 PM   #4
Mannydog

My Ride: '02 330Xi 5spd
So, I performed this fix today. Successfully, I think.

A few observations:
1) I put the zip ties between the mirror cover and the foam, not the foam and the mirror assembly as the OP did. I didn't realize the difference until afterward, and I'm not sure which is better. I make disassemble and check it out.

2) Don't forget your mirror folds forward, which helps for some of the steps (I didn't think of it until half way thru).

3) The ties I had were 3mm wide and 8" long like the OP's. I would say that's the widest I would try to go, and the shortest. If you can find longer ones they would make life easier.

4) The riskiest step is drilling the holes, you could ruin the cover if you're not careful The trickiest step is reassembling the cover and threading the zip ties thru the holes.

5) I read a bunch of posts on removing the mirror glass. Some mentioned a tab you have to slide for unlocking, some showed adhesive/double sided tape. My car had neither. I just (nervously) tilted the mirror as far as I could inboard (so the gap was at its max on the outboard side) and pried,and it popped out. YMMV.

And the best part, I had red zip ties to match my paint color!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	387746  

Last edited by Mannydog; 12-25-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Mannydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:55 PM   #5
alwaysbored786

My Ride: Noble|M3|XJ
genius!

Also, to create a signature go to the User CP (just click private messages on top), then go to edit signature, then put w/e you want in there and it will show up every time you post. No need to having to keep post it everytime

*NO F-BOMBS IN SIGS*
How to refinish rims
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
I am proposing opening up a Paypal fund for OP. The funds will directly be used in purchasing a farm so that OP can grow some balls.
alwaysbored786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:14 AM   #6
fsfikke

My Ride: '03 320Ci
Great DIY, wish I had done this when I broke one of my tabs off. I just put the cover back on and it stayed there for a few weeks. Until one of my friends closed the door with a bit to much force and it fell off. Of course I didn't notice it had fallen off and left it there to be run over by someone

Luckily I found a used one on Ebay for 20
fsfikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #7
LSUTiger03325i

My Ride: 2003 325i Sedan
Nice DIY! Any idea where to purchase just the backside of the mirror and/or just the mirror itself? Everywhere I look seems to only have complete mirror replacements.
LSUTiger03325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
ThatGuy_JZ

My Ride: '02 Steel Blue 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to ThatGuy_JZ
Genius!

ThatGuy_JZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:25 AM   #9
socalbusdev

My Ride: 2001 325ci
I'd like to see you post how to remove the mirror itself as part of your post. Would be helpful to have beginning to end...thanks for the post and creativity.
socalbusdev is offline   Reply With Quote