E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 09:00 AM   #1
Jerry Murk

My Ride: 03 325i
Unhappy 03 325i 152,xxx mi wont start. Need help!! URGENT!!

My 03 325i engine has stopped while driving while everything in the car stays on without power interruption. It doesnt happen while im driving at high speeds but always happen at low speeds while im taking off from a stop at a stop sign or shifting to drive from reverse. The last time I drove my BMW it stalled a couple times after making a right turn from a stop sign. Luckily, i made it home and left my car parked in my driveway. The next morning when i went to drive my car it wouldnt start at all ( it did start once but stoppped 2 seconds later). All the instrument panels in the car are working fine and are seemingly recieving normal power. I dont think the problem is with the battery because i charged it yesterday. hat could possibly be the problem with my car? I really need help beacuse this car is my way to work and school and i didnt want to go to some mechanic whose gonna tell me bogus stuff about my bmw. Can anyone help?
Jerry Murk is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
moiz21

My Ride: 1999 323i 5-SPD
If you are certain it is not an electrical issue, it could be fuel related. The car cranks and won't start sometimes? Have you changed your fuel filter? Your fuel pump could be on its way out. What maintenance have you done to your car so far? Do you have a check engine light? Checked for codes?

MODS
P46 Projectors + FX-R Retrofit + 6k D2S / 60 LED AE's / Smoked LED Tails / Smoked Turn and Side Markers / BSW 10" Sub /ZHP Knob / Matte Black Grills / DICE / Parrot + Connects2 / OEM Alternative Alarm Mod / Clutch Switch Delay Mod / M3 Rep Front Bumper / 3M Black CF Di-Noc Wrap / K&N Intake / 35% Tint All Around / Black Short Eurotray / 545i Shifter
moiz21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:14 AM   #3
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
me thinking fuel pump.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
Jerry Murk

I was thinking about getting the fuel filter and fuel pump checked. It does crank but the engine isnt turning over. I haven't done any maintenance on it yet because i just purchased it 2 months ago. how much do you think a new fuel pump and/or filter would cost?
Old 12-12-2011, 09:20 AM   #5
moiz21

Filter is like $20 through our vendors. I believe the cheapest you will find a fuel pump is like $150. Just do both, since a clogged filter will cause premature death of your fuel pump. Since it is relatively inexpensive, might as well do both.

MODS
P46 Projectors + FX-R Retrofit + 6k D2S / 60 LED AE's / Smoked LED Tails / Smoked Turn and Side Markers / BSW 10" Sub /ZHP Knob / Matte Black Grills / DICE / Parrot + Connects2 / OEM Alternative Alarm Mod / Clutch Switch Delay Mod / M3 Rep Front Bumper / 3M Black CF Di-Noc Wrap / K&N Intake / 35% Tint All Around / Black Short Eurotray / 545i Shifter
Old 12-12-2011, 09:23 AM   #6
Jerry Murk

Thanks man, I'll try to find a good fuel pump and filter. How much did your mods cost?
Old 12-12-2011, 09:31 AM   #7
moiz21

A lot lol. Been over the course of a year and a half. Probably 2-3k total. Rims aren't in the sig cause of winter haven't mounted them. But yea, and that isn't including maintenance. Going back I've done quite a lot, but since it has taken so long, feels like I haven't done anything.

MODS
Old 12-12-2011, 09:39 AM   #8
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Three Magic Ingredients

Fuel, Air & Spark

If you head in the direction of fuel, use this resource for the best prices: http://www.bmaparts.com/ShopByVehicl...0Pumps&mode=PS
But you can check out the fuel pressure at the fuel rail Schrader valve first.
I'd also not overlook your crankshaft position sensor. And your fuel pump relay could be suspect too. And read the DIY section if you decide to replace.
You need to spend some time here searching for these different topics and bringing yourself up to speed. All your questions have been dealt with many times before. Just needed to be pointed in the right direction.
Sorry you're getting whammed so soon after becoming a new owner. Don't let this sour your attitude toward your car.
Come back here when you get new info and we'll do our best to give you more clues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Murk View Post
I was thinking about getting the fuel filter and fuel pump checked. It does crank but the engine isnt turning over. I haven't done any maintenance on it yet because i just purchased it 2 months ago. how much do you think a new fuel pump and/or filter would cost?
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #9
Jerry Murk

where did you purchase your headlight lens? Im looking to purchase some angel eyes for my car but i dont know if i should purchase the whole headlight or the the lights themselves and buy new lens
Old 12-12-2011, 09:45 AM   #10
Jerry Murk

@ Stinger9. Thanks for the help. I really like my car and i want it to last so I might just do a full maintenance on it and save some bucks in the future. I also want to do some mods on it like new headlights, and i want to put 18' or 19' black rims on it.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #11
moiz21

You don't have to buy the entire headlight. This: http://www.khoalty.com/bmw-e46/light...placement.html will allow you to replace the headlight lens. And just go to umnitza.com for the angel eyes. And you're done.

MODS
Old 12-12-2011, 10:05 AM   #12
Jerry Murk

thanks. Do you think black 19 in rims would look good on this?
Old 12-12-2011, 10:07 AM   #13
moiz21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Murk View Post
thanks. Do you think black 19 in rims would look good on this?
Post a pic of your car. Typically black rims don't look great on our cars. There are some mixed reviews though. If you don't want silver, try gunmetal, more of a grayish look and doesn't look too bad either.

MODS

Last edited by moiz21; 12-12-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:10 AM   #14
Jerry Murk

This is it.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #15
moiz21

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ght=csl&page=2 Check out post #33. and look in that thread at more of his pics. He has one in the snow that looks amazing. I think yours would look great with his color set up with rims. But completely up to you.

MODS
Old 12-12-2011, 10:19 AM   #16
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
Jerry... Did you happen to take this by an Auto Zone (or similar) to have codes read? I had stalling issues very similar as you describe and it was the Camshaft Position Sensors. A fuel filter or pump sounds like a possibility also but I'd try to get codes read first.. It's free at most stores. They can tell you in a few seconds if there are any codes... Then either they can tell you what they mean or you can Google them (Or look here)...

Edit: By the way... I just bought and installed the Unmitza Angel Eyes (6300k) Orion V2 and they look awesome! (And BRIGHT!) The black kidney grills just showed up this morning and are already installed. Just waiting on my tinted lenses now...

Last edited by Big Rick; 12-12-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Big Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:21 AM   #17
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Let us know what ends up fixing your problem. Thanks.
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:22 AM   #18
Jerry Murk

I love the car and it looked gorgeous in the snow. The only reason i was thinkin black for my car is because the black trim and my tail lights are already blacked out
Old 12-12-2011, 10:34 AM   #19
Jerry Murk

@ BigRick. how much did the headlight cost you and did you install them yourself?
Old 12-13-2011, 11:11 AM   #20
Jerry Murk

I guess my gas meter and computer isnt functioning properly cause all i did was put some gas in it and it started right up

Tags
battery, bmw, engine, power, stall