E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 12:31 PM   #121
02black330ci

My Ride: spaceship
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PTGSC View Post
Cant wait for new bigger turbo

You were making 720hp on the engine right? Not on the wheels?

HPF is making similar numbers on stage 1 and 2 cars on race fuel/meth and they hold together for a while....not sure on how many PSI tho. Are their tunes 'safer' or is it the difference in PSI or is it race fuel "safer" than E85 or something else?

Im not trying to start any sh!t so please no bashing one tuner/ecu or another i just want to learn some more about it
Definitely whp....

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...3&postcount=21

02black330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #122
Bugermass

My Ride: ZX10R
Yes definatly wheel HP, and the TQ was just over 600FT/Lbs.. Thats a large chunk of TQ.. We probably put about 30 passes between the track and the street at this power level. And the motor has alot of miles on it. But either way, looking at the stock rods, they are a little thin.. we compared the stock rods and pistons to stock 2J rods and pistons.. The pistons are not hugely different but the S54 rods are significanty thinner.

The next step we are taking, is to build the motor with no sleeves and see what the stock block will handle reliably without sleeving. Bossman says he wants to have it built and in the car before end of this year ..

We're probably gonna go with the lower compression pistons on this build since they are around 30grams lighter. Then next motor after this one will be full out race motor and we'll go nuts with it. Right now we just want to see what the stock block will handle without sleeves.

Last edited by Bugermass; 12-12-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Bugermass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:21 PM   #123
basar13

My Ride: Z4M, R8, 525xd, STI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugermass View Post
Yes definatly wheel HP, and the TQ was just over 600FT/Lbs.. Thats a large chunk of TQ.. We probably put about 30 passes between the track and the street at this power level. And the motor has alot of miles on it. But either way, looking at the stock rods, they are a little thin.. we compared the stock rods and pistons to stock 2J rods and pistons.. The pistons are not hugely different but the S54 rods are significanty thinner.

The next step we are taking, is to build the motor with no sleeves and see what the stock block will handle reliably without sleeving. Bossman says he wants to have it built and in the car before end of this year ..

We're probably gonna go with the lower compression pistons on this build since they are around 30grams lighter. Then next motor after this one will be full out race motor and we'll go nuts with it. Right now we just want to see what the stock block will handle without sleeves.

Sounds great, thanks for the R&D and also sharing them with us.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:25 PM   #124
M3PTGSC

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@proefi View Post
The indicator here is that three rods broke...the tune won't do that. A 5th gear pull is about as much strain as your going to place on that engine. Who knows how the engines have been treated, but in the end...same components. Your living on borrowed time at those power levels.
Yeah i was thinking about that i just thought it was 720HP not WHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Performance View Post
How do the torque numbers compare?? Torque would have a larger impact on the rods over RWHP. E85 makes more torque than pump+meth therefore even though E85 is safer for the engine and you make more HP and TQ, if the rods cannot handle the TQ then well.... you know!
Great info that's exactly what i was looking for!

Quote:

Got it! Im not familiar with mustang dynos that much and when i was looking at the dyno slip it said Engine HP and Engine TQ so thats why i was surprised

Thanks everyone for the explanation and staying professional without bs i appreciate it
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02black330ci View Post

09 SL63 AMG Designo,pano and whole nine yards lol
07 S550 P2 4matic-gone
03-M3-6766 DBB..Tubular manifold...
97-M3-
95-M3 SC stage 2-Widebody...
08 Gix 1k 08 ZX10R
M3PTGSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #125
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Quote:

Liking these posts more and more...keep it up!
Old 12-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #126
pianoprodigy

My Ride: 13 GTR, 11 CTT, BMW
Subscribed for updates
pianoprodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:24 AM   #127
jeff_smg

My Ride: //HPF M3 E46 Vert'
Send a message via MSN to jeff_smg
Can you post some pics Engine, Turbo and Rods broken ... ?

Last edited by jeff_smg; 01-11-2012 at 06:04 AM.
jeff_smg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:38 PM   #128
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Nice nice. But we did something a little different with our fuel system:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=896686
Old 01-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #129
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3

Bump for updates!
Old 01-19-2012, 05:30 AM   #130
jeff_smg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post

Bump for updates!
+1

Old 02-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #131
jeff_smg

Update the post please ...

Old 02-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #132
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Performance View Post
I have a M3 now at the shop where the customer wants to hit 1K with a billet 76. I am now slightly afraid of the HPF log type manifold as being a restriction that will prevent us from hitting our goal. After seeing the results of Chris's car with a 82mm turbo, I think that we may need to explore the realms of a custom tubular manifold.
SAAD racing has a jig for a tubular manifold for the E46. Jason has one.
The other alternative is to split the Steed on the weld, and port the heck out of it. There is ample metal available that can be removed and or shaped. Then add a larger waste gate. That is the route we are taking. I will let you all know if was worth the effort and expense.
My shop's owner thinks this is a more viable alternative to a very expensive tubular mani. Only if you have a Steed to begin with. We shall see... Otherwise, especially if the turbo is larger than 71mm, do the tubular.

The intake tube and filter need to be changed and modified too. It can be done and still retain the AC. Ours is a stock HPF 4" shortened and a much larger airfilter from AFS added. For really large turbos, removal of the AC and a custom set up is most likely the best bet.

@ Burgermass. Those 2150FIC are pretty big even for a 67mm turbo. Seems like they did the trick, however. We have the same for our 71mm. Did you find you had to set the idle at around 1000rpm or higher to get it smooth? Static fuel pressure at around 45psi?
Also, did you ever consider the Southbend feramic single disk Stage 3 clutch? Just curious.

Last edited by Bdave; 02-12-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #133
Bugermass

My Ride: ZX10R
The ID2000s and FIC2150s while great injectors can still have idle issues in certain situations. I think a large part of injector stability is the driver/ecu itself. I resigned from SSA a few weeks ago and am currently in freelance limbo while I prepare for my move to NY.. I had a job offer in NY about a year ago and just sat on it and sat on it, then finally I grew a pair and decided it was what I wanted to do so I'm going for it . I will still be a ProEFI dealer up in NY..

I think getting a smooth idle on the E46 has a little more to do with the cam.. The factory idle target is 950 if I remember correctly from looking at the factory ROM.. I targeted 950 for idle control on the shop M3.. I didn't spend alot of timing getting it to idle smooth since we were always rushing to get stuff done when we worked on the car to get it to the track.

Last edited by Bugermass; 02-12-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Bugermass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:31 AM   #134
jeff_smg

Bump