E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
DualZ

My Ride: E46 330ci
Send a message via AIM to DualZ
Exclamation Super Bright LED Angel Eyes Install with "Remote On" Feature

YOU CAN CLICK ON THE IMAGES TO MAKE THEM POP UP IN A BIGGER SIZE
I just installed a bunch of these kits on my friends cars and thought i would share with everyone else.
I have some kits left over for sale here http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=854174 or you can pm me about it.

Here we go !

1. Open the box an lay out all your angel eyes supplies. You should have 1-Harness 4-Rings, 4-8 clips, some zip ties.

2.Get your tools out. You need:
- 10mm,13mm, 19mm sockets
- 5mm Hex socket
- Standard and Phillips Screwdrivers
- Side Cutters ( To cut zip ties)
- Rag (To clean inside the headlight and lens)

3.First thing I like to do is connect the wiring harness, that way I can test out the angel eyes before I close up the headlight incase they are damaged or defective.
Start off by laying out the wire harness.

1 Wire Route

4. Then connect the Harness.
Loosen the negative terminal using the 19MM socket and then slide the black wire and ring terminal on top and tighten it
Slide off the cover covering the +12 Connection and loosen the nut, remove the nut and place the red wire and ring terminal below it and then tighten it again.

Secure the relay to something, I chose to zip tie it to the main power wire.

4. Now tie up all the wires and route the wires to the head lights. I managed to squeeze the wire going to the passenger side headlight through one of the rubber grommets.

5. For the drivers side you can run the wire through the wire tunnel, you just pry open the clips and squeeze the wire through.

6. Now open the DME cover, there are 4 5mm Hex bolts.

7. Locate the accessory wire and use a tap to connect the white wire to it.

8. Continue running the wires down to the driver head light, make sure to tie them up.

9. Now loosen the screw holding your turn signal

10. Remove the headlight gasket by pressing down on the clips

11. Carefully remove the lower headlight trim by pressing in the tabs/clips, there is one on each end.

12. Now pop open the head light lens, there are 7 tabs, you can use a screwdriver to make thing easier.

13. Now pull out the headlight trim, it should pull straight out

14. Prepare the angel eyes by sliding 2 clips on each of the rings at the top flat part. You need to pry them open slightly by using your fingers

15. Remove the high beam bulb and rubber cap. Route the wire in and make sure it comes out behind the high beam, Cut a small slit and squeeze the wires through.

16. Now install the rings, the clips slide on above the headlight, adjust them until they look like they are correctly in place. Make sure you dont push the ring on the headlight too close to the projector housing, being that it is auto leveling it will move around, so leave a little wiggle room.

17. Now connect the angel eyes to the harness, red to red black to black. Turn on your car and check if they are working properly. If they are working fine just put everything back together and your done... Unless you want the "remote on" feature, then you have a few more steps.

IMG_2887

----- REMOTE ON FEATURE

1. Start off by removing the glove box, there are 5 screws.

IMG_2860 (Large)

2. Poke or cut a small hole in the extra ports on the firewall boot. Then feed the yellow wire through it.

IMG_2865 (Large)

3.Remove the plug from the footwell light then pull the wire through and tap it into the passenger footwell light wire which is red or red and something, brown is usually always ground on German cars.

IMG_2872 (Large)

4. Put everything back together.
DualZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:47 AM   #2
crazyafghanguy

My Ride: E46 M3
Good DIY

01 M3
Black/Black 6 Speed
Style 95
Amber All Around
Ac Schnitzer Muffler
ZCP Brake Upgrade
crazyafghanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:52 AM   #3
DualZ

My Ride: E46 330ci
Send a message via AIM to DualZ
Thanks !
DualZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:44 PM   #4
AMCINK

My Ride: 2000 323CI
Just did it this past weekend; good write up
AMCINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:24 AM   #5
King Kashi

My Ride: 06 BMW 330Ci M54 Eur
Question, i installed my angel eyes last night, but my kit only came with 4 rings and 2 ballast's. I noticed i didnt have a harness. but i still managed to make them work, from the ballast i grounded the ground wire, and the positive, i tapped into the accessory wire as shown in the pic above. I was wondering should i FUSE the angel Eyes ?? with maybe a 5Amp fuse box or something ??
King Kashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:47 AM   #6
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kashi View Post
Question, i installed my angel eyes last night, but my kit only came with 4 rings and 2 ballast's. I noticed i didnt have a harness. but i still managed to make them work, from the ballast i grounded the ground wire, and the positive, i tapped into the accessory wire as shown in the pic above. I was wondering should i FUSE the angel Eyes ?? with maybe a 5Amp fuse box or something ??
I don't think a fuse is necessary. I checked my Orion v2 opaques with a multimeter, and each side draws only 0.4A (0.8A total). If you're concerned about your wiring, a fuse would be good in the event of a short. But you shouldn't have to worry about drawing too much current.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:47 PM   #7
ianeatsdonuts

My Ride: 330Ci
great write up, this post made more confident of my project. im about to order some
ianeatsdonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:01 PM   #8
DutchE46

My Ride: E46,V12 E30
Bump for a great tutorial

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
DutchE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:03 AM   #9
Gwood 86

My Ride: 02 BMW 325i
So with the remote feature the angel eyes are on when the interior lights are on AND when the car is running?
Old 08-01-2011, 11:06 AM   #10
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
finally! this info is on here already but not in such great detail. Good job...this should eliminate alot of the questions that are frequently asked.
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #11
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
I don't think a fuse is necessary. I checked my Orion v2 opaques with a multimeter, and each side draws only 0.4A (0.8A total). If you're concerned about your wiring, a fuse would be good in the event of a short. But you shouldn't have to worry about drawing too much current.
so we should actually include 1A fuse, not 5A fuse
good to know. will let the guys know
brandon -

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchE46 View Post
Bump for a great tutorial
same as the one on www.fastm.com that one is more detailed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwood 86 View Post
So with the remote feature the angel eyes are on when the interior lights are on AND when the car is running?
yes this is the same as the Orion Lite harness and the Orion V2 harness
brandon.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:48 PM   #12
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Here are some real-world photos of these angel eyes installed on my '04 330i sport package.

Considering the price & the one year guarantee, I am very happy with these angel eyes. The remote fade on/off feature works great and the installation was very clear, simple and straightforward. In addition, they are nice a noticeable during the day and extremely bright at night.

The only comment I have is a suggestion to whoever purchases these to also consider picking up new headlight lenses from Khoalty or another supplier as the angel eyes will draw attention to your old etched lenses.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Last edited by tock172; 10-04-2011 at 06:46 PM.
tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #13
MadChemist

My Ride: None
I looked online at superbrightleds.com and saw they did have angels eyes but they are quite different than the ones in the photo. Could you post some part numbers for the AA along with the harness and clips? Thanks. Awesome DIY.
MadChemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:30 PM   #14
shahbaz99

My Ride: Clean 330ci
oh man i soooo wanna do this. but i hate all the wiring and hardware. it just seems like more electronics on this car to go wrong.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:56 PM   #15
tanik

My Ride: 02 e46 bmw 325i
Send a message via AIM to tanik Send a message via MSN to tanik
which wire is the accessory wire? it looks like the red white with yellow around it?
tanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:48 PM   #16
johnca
Modded ///Member

My Ride: E46 Slow CSL
Nice DIY thanks for sharing
Old 12-17-2011, 09:17 PM   #17
tanik

Ok so I found out which wire is which. But does this happen to anyone else? Is this normal?

ae turns on perfect that works. But when the car turn off. I hear buzzing noise then a click then the ae turns off. is this how it should work?

Sent from my best phone on earth using Bimmer
Old 12-17-2011, 10:25 PM   #18
Dannyboy223

My Ride: 2002 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanik View Post
Ok so I found out which wire is which. But does this happen to anyone else? Is this normal?

ae turns on perfect that works. But when the car turn off. I hear buzzing noise then a click then the ae turns off. is this how it should work?

yup. thats exactly what mine do too.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #19
tanik

Ok BC I thought I did something wrong