E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 06:46 AM   #21
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMikeE46 View Post
So far no problems without the harness, umm about removing the headlight...I couldn't get the sucker off..Does anyone know how to take it off, i looked for all the bolts and scews, i can't seem to take it out. You prob need to do it this way, by removing the tires to actually be able to see and strap everything correctly. As far as water tight, its pretty water tight. It comes the right wires. I duct taped everything just incase. Thanks for the feedback
Just be careful with duct tape. It is metallic and therefore electrically conductive.

2001 BMW 330xi
2009 Lexus IS-F
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:30 PM   #22
BigMikeE46

My Ride: 02 325i, 03 SC COBRA
Send a message via AIM to BigMikeE46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramtin325i View Post
Mike I got them!!!! It drops my jaw every night. And thank god no cluster problems (knock on wood)
One of my ballasts died on me..I think it was defective, I submitted a ticket at DDM. Gluck with yours

Below is a pic taken on 1/16/10
Photobucket
BigMikeE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:21 PM   #23
Rickna

Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
I ordered the H11-5000K kit from DDM Tuning with the relay harness. In addition I got an adapter from ebay that allows you to plug the harness (car end) into the ballast (H11 to 9006). This will make the wiring plug and play with no splicing.

2001 BMW 330xi
2009 Lexus IS-F
Old 02-23-2010, 05:14 PM   #24
e46bonestock

My Ride: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickna View Post
I ordered the H11-5000K kit from DDM Tuning with the relay harness. In addition I got an adapter from ebay that allows you to plug the harness (car end) into the ballast (H11 to 9006). This will make the wiring plug and play with no splicing.

can you point me in the right direction? I tried searching ebay couldn't find adapter from h11 to 9006.
e46bonestock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:30 PM   #25
Rickna

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46bonestock View Post
can you point me in the right direction? I tried searching ebay couldn't find adapter from h11 to 9006.
Sure can-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Xenon-HID-Wire-Harness-H8-H9-H11-Plug-Ballast-Connector_W0QQitemZ140383162532QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car _Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item20af7d10a4

or just search for "H11 connector".

2001 BMW 330xi
2009 Lexus IS-F
Old 02-24-2010, 06:49 AM   #26
e46bonestock

My Ride: 325
thx Rickna
e46bonestock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:57 AM   #27
Rickna

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46bonestock View Post
thx Rickna
No problem, anytime!

2001 BMW 330xi
2009 Lexus IS-F
Old 03-22-2010, 04:20 PM   #28
Rickna

I did the fog light HID's last night on my '02 330xi. No need to remove the front wheels. Just simply remove the headlights. There's plenty of room below. Push back on the wheel well liner to insert the HID bulb into the socket. Saved alot of time and my back.

2001 BMW 330xi
2009 Lexus IS-F
Old 04-04-2010, 06:05 PM   #29
Rickna

Thought I'd share a few installation notes. In no way is this meant to be taken as a thread hijack. I give all due respect and credit to the OP.

I have read posts concerning the instrument cluster going "haywire" when turning on the HID fogs. I am using a relay harness to isolate the HID system, and have had no such problem or any other problems since the install.

No need to remove the front wheels. Remove the HL's, and all the room you need is there underneath. You can push the fender liner back enough to change out the foglight bulbs-

A good place for the ballasts-

I didn't like the relay harness from DDM at all. It required a total rework. So there were parts leftover. Since you only need one trigger to the relay, I used one of the H11 plugs to plug the stock harness on the driver's side. Makes an excellent water tight seal.

I used the "drug bin" for my relays and fuse block. It also houses items for audio & angel eyes.

A close-up-

A night & day pic. They are 5000K. They really don't qualify as fog lights at that color. I have 3000K's on order. I'll see how I like those.

2001 BMW 330xi
2009 Lexus IS-F
Old 06-20-2010, 05:17 PM   #30
tnhl1989

My Ride: 02 330xi(RIP),03 ZHP
Send a message via Skype™ to tnhl1989
Thanks Rickna, What other mods did you do on your 323xi?
tnhl1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:25 PM   #31
Rickna

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnhl1989 View Post
Thanks Rickna, What other mods did you do on your 323xi?
No problem, other than it's a 330xi (LOL). I did a complete audio install, angel eyes, blackout theme, wheels & tires.
In the works are Eibach Pro springs, Koni Adjustable Sport shocks & stainless steel brake lines. LED tails are waiting for blackout film, LED front turn signal, & LED sidemarkers.

2001 BMW 330xi
2009 Lexus IS-F
Old 06-20-2010, 08:06 PM   #32
tnhl1989

My bad about thinking you were driving a 323xi . I think I am due for tires, and springs and shocks in the near future. I am also working on a alpine audio system with a kenwood double din head unit.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:17 PM   #33
Rickna

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnhl1989 View Post
My bad about thinking you were driving a 323xi . I think I am due for tires, and springs and shocks in the near future. I am also working on a alpine audio system with a kenwood double din head unit.
No biggie, I was just having fun? I dunno.
The double din is not an easy install. You will need a kit that modifies the heater box and one of the air direction flaps (and linkage), it should also include a bezel. It involves some cutting and its tedious work. Done properly, it's great & worth it, IMO. Search around there are some good write-ups around here somewhere.

2001 BMW 330xi
2009 Lexus IS-F
Old 06-20-2010, 08:21 PM   #34
tnhl1989

Yea, I have already tore up the heater box, the only main problem I am having is modding the dampers and connecting them together. Will give it another try though in the future. As for now I'm just waiting to do some other projects. Also I did install some AE's and HID's recently. Only problem is that the align of which the light is shooting is only a few feet in front of the car. I am thinking about getting FX-R projectors to fix that and the way it shines.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:26 PM   #35
Rickna

This is what I used, but I got it a little cheaper-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...Q5fAccessories

2001 BMW 330xi
2009 Lexus IS-F
Old 06-21-2010, 12:52 PM   #36
Rickna

If anyone's interested, I have a pair of H11 5000K bulbs for sale.

2001 BMW 330xi
2009 Lexus IS-F
Old 12-17-2011, 09:39 PM   #37
BigMikeE46

My Ride: 02 325i, 03 SC COBRA
Send a message via AIM to BigMikeE46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickna View Post
Thought I'd share a few installation notes. In no way is this meant to be taken as a thread hijack. I give all due respect and credit to the OP.

I have read posts concerning the instrument cluster going "haywire" when turning on the HID fogs. I am using a relay harness to isolate the HID system, and have had no such problem or any other problems since the install.

No need to remove the front wheels. Remove the HL's, and all the room you need is there underneath. You can push the fender liner back enough to change out the foglight bulbs-

A good place for the ballasts-

I didn't like the relay harness from DDM at all. It required a total rework. So there were parts leftover. Since you only need one trigger to the relay, I used one of the H11 plugs to plug the stock harness on the driver's side. Makes an excellent water tight seal.

I used the "drug bin" for my relays and fuse block. It also houses items for audio & angel eyes.

A close-up-

A night & day pic. They are 5000K. They really don't qualify as fog lights at that color. I have 3000K's on order. I'll see how I like those.

Dang, how didn't I see this? lol. Thanks for adding to it. For some reason I can't get my AE relay working right from day 1. It just doesn't work lol

Below is a pic taken on 1/16/10
Photobucket
BigMikeE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:18 PM   #38
Rickna

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMikeE46 View Post
Dang, how didn't I see this? lol. Thanks for adding to it. For some reason I can't get my AE relay working right from day 1. It just doesn't work lol
Thanks. Test the relay. If you test it correctly, you will hear it "click".

2001 BMW 330xi
2009 Lexus IS-F