E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 06-15-2009, 05:19 PM   #21
myster325

My Ride: '01 325I
hey I've been trying to find the wiring harness but none of the dealers here have them in stock...none of the online shops seem to carry it either. anyway if you can show me how you fixed your problem I would appreciate that alot!
myster325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:25 PM   #22
patdosa

My Ride: 2002 330i SportPackg
Quote:
Originally Posted by myster325 View Post
hey I've been trying to find the wiring harness but none of the dealers here have them in stock...none of the online shops seem to carry it either. anyway if you can show me how you fixed your problem I would appreciate that alot!
I took an old plastic credit card (actually a rewards card), and using a single-blade razor (X-acto knife would be handier) I cut out the the shape of two prongs (connected at one end) with dimensions the same as the two broken stubs. Then glued it the front face of the two stubs. Next I enlarged a part of the hole in the main body of the connecter where you insert the teeth of the locking tab, in order to accomodate the new plastic piece. finally i inserted the fixed locking tab, and voila!, the new prongs operate to remove the short circuit when the connector is seated in the airbag socket.

I was then able to reset the SRS light.. Finally! I haven't had time to post the picture of the modified locking tab, but will do so soon.

Again, this is a solution that worked for me. If you're not sure about what you're doing, I suggest you get the door harness from the dealership.
patdosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:06 AM   #23
patdosa

photos of how I fixed the broken prongs/teeth

Here are some pics of how I fixed the broken prongs/teeth by cutting a piece of plastic from an old Vons rewards card.

I glued it to the front side of the broken stubs, i.e. the side facing the short circuit bar (found in the airbag connector socket).

it's amazing how such a simple, no-cost solution is so effective in properly controlling airbag deployment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3003.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	319793

Name:	IMG_3004.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	319794

Name:	IMG_3007.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	319795

Name:	IMG_3008.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	319796
Old 06-18-2009, 11:32 AM   #24
myster325

Wow that does look very simple. Can't wait to try it tonight. Thanks for the pix and kudos for the ingenuity!!
Old 06-21-2009, 08:56 PM   #25
myster325

Worked like a charm!! Can't thank you enough patdosa!!
Old 06-22-2009, 11:28 AM   #26
patdosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by myster325 View Post
Worked like a charm!! Can't thank you enough patdosa!!

That's great bro! glad to hear everything worked out
Old 11-21-2009, 02:24 PM   #27
caseblue

My Ride: 2002 330i
I took a slightly different approach but this worked for me as well. Outstanding investigative problem solving patdosa, I love no-parts workarounds!
caseblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:51 PM   #28
peddlerp

My Ride: 330i
Side Airbag Connector - DON'T BREAK IT!

A lot of us have broken this Connector. As others have illustrated, the design is a safety feature... but when you have an Airbag tied with a rope while you change a regulator, its hard to figure out the clasping mechanism.

Attached is a pdf from BMW that demonstrates the latching mechanism.

I still have not found a part number for the connector, pigtail, or wire harness.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW_SRS_Connector.pdf (1.45 MB, 282 views)
peddlerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:58 PM   #29
peddlerp

Rear Airbag Connector - E46 2001 330i

I still have not found a part number for the connector, pigtail, or wire harness.[/QUOTE]

Hello:

Another lesson for me from BMW. I went to 2 different stores today. The first store continued my research and found the attached illustration of possible pigtails for Airbag connectivity.

However, the illustrations are so elementary that it is truly a pain to identify the correct one. I guessed that #8 was the right one by its general appearance. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/images/smilies/cursin.gif BUT (unbelievable) the guy wouldn't get it for me because it was not referenced against my VIN number!!!!

I went to a second BMW store, went through the same exercise, then the guy was so curious that he pulled the part and low and behold it's the right one. The part number is: 61 12 9 118 135
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BMW_Airbag_Cable.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	373801  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SRS_Cable.pdf (524.7 KB, 186 views)
Old 09-05-2010, 04:54 PM   #30
peddlerp

Still have the same Error Code 08

UPDATE:

I took the door apart one more time... with the express intent to change the connector on the airbag. After I disconnected the connector I decided to perform a good visual and electrical inspection. The connector is rock solid, all indents and locks are in place and all electrical connectors are clean. As a result, I chickened-out from splicing in the new pigtail, not trying to save the $38, but rather trying to save the splice.

Anybody have other ideas as to what can cause the Code 08 failure?

I just had a thought, when the error page displays in the P.A.Soft software, it always shows a Date of 8/1. Which I do believe is the date that I changed my window regulator and caused the error. The thought I am having is that the P.A. Soft device is not resetting the controller, only clearing the error bit. Thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited by peddlerp; 09-05-2010 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Additional Information:
Old 12-20-2011, 04:55 PM   #31
GreatFrog

My Ride: 2005 325i w/spt pkg
That's the PART!!

Thanks to peddlerp, I ordered this replacement wiring from ecstuning and they arrived exactly the same as the one broken on my car. Except that the color of the wiring is different. I was able to pull off the plastic connector head from the new set of wiring and put it on my old wiring, with the experience provided by guys above and some patience. No splice, no glue, everything just went together perfectly as new! Before this I got a "resistance too small" error message from the airbag system through INPA, which means that the short-circuit clip was not in place (it was blown away during the deployment, I think). Now everything is in place, but I haven't got time to actually put the airbag back online yet. Will test it tomorrow and report the final results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peddlerp View Post
I still have not found a part number for the connector, pigtail, or wire harness.
Hello:

Another lesson for me from BMW. I went to 2 different stores today. The first store continued my research and found the attached illustration of possible pigtails for Airbag connectivity.

However, the illustrations are so elementary that it is truly a pain to identify the correct one. I guessed that #8 was the right one by its general appearance. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/images/smilies/cursin.gif BUT (unbelievable) the guy wouldn't get it for me because it was not referenced against my VIN number!!!!

I went to a second BMW store, went through the same exercise, then the guy was so curious that he pulled the part and low and behold it's the right one. The part number is: 61 12 9 118 135[/QUOTE]
GreatFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:03 PM   #32
peddlerp

Glad to hear...

I'm glad to hear you were successful in replacing the connector. I'm anxious to learn if the Airbag comes online properly!

Good luck!

[QUOTE=GreatFrog;13908579]Thanks to peddlerp, I ordered this replacement wiring from ecstuning and they arrived exactly the same as the one broken on my car. Except that the color of the wiring is different. I was able to pull off the plastic connector head from the new set of wiring and put it on my old wiring, with the experience provided by guys above and some patience. No splice, no glue, everything just went together perfectly as new! Before this I got a "resistance too small" error message from the airbag system through INPA, which means that the short-circuit clip was not in place (it was blown away during the deployment, I think). Now everything is in place, but I haven't got time to actually put the airbag back online yet. Will test it tomorrow and report the final results.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:45 PM   #33
GreatFrog

My Ride: 2005 325i w/spt pkg
Hello everyone, especially peddlerp, I successfully put the side airbag online today. After clearing the fault memory in the airbag module using INPA, the airbag light on the dash started to flash, then I re-read the faulty memory and it showed empty. Then I just started the engine and in a few seconds the flashing airbag light went away. Hooray!! That's it!
GreatFrog is offline   Reply With Quote