E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #21
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.
 
Solidjake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 22,375
My Ride: 2002 330i
Take some time and read through EVERY page please and save it for your records.

http://linquist.net/system/files/E462003i_0.pdf
__________________
WTB FACELIFT SEDAN TITANIUM SILVER DRIVERS FENDER

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:34 AM   #22
Kwaz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oregon/Mexico
Posts: 201
My Ride: 323I
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Haha+1
__________________

Soy el pecador y voy a hacer un desmadre
y al que no le guste que chingue su madre
Kwaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #23
Custom3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dirty Jersey
Posts: 5,437
My Ride: HellRot 330CI
yes...your head gasket can crap out and then you might as well consider the car total because thats a big job....aka expensive.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCsFinestE46 View Post
I just put basically 350-400$ into the tints/caliper painting being done.. my dad would kill me if I took it to his shop (he's a mechanic) and asked him to take a look. He would be pissed that within 4 days I paid that much money and now something happened to the car... so my question is, if I ignore the coolant light, could something bad happen? or is it not that big of a deal?

And lets say I do take it to him, how much, estimate, would it be to fix any coolant problems?


BTW I did a search, and found nothing useful.
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:36 AM   #24
EIAlfonso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: McKinney,TX
Posts: 898
My Ride: 2011 535xi M Sport
If you think you're going to get killed after spending $400, then you're a dead man

You're going to need quite a bit more at 100K+, even if you do it yourself.
__________________
EIAlfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:00 PM   #25
lcoleman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: the barnyard
Posts: 2,458
My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCsFinestE46 View Post
I add antifreeze if the coolant level is below, correct?
No, you add coolant, which is a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and distilled water.

For the love of your car, please tell your dad the light is on. he will be more pissed when you fvck something up because you were trying to hide it and didn't know what you were doing.
lcoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #26
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.
 
Solidjake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 22,375
My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
For the love of your car, please tell your dad the light is on. he will be more pissed when you fvck something up because you were trying to hide it and didn't know what you were doing.
Sad to say but I agree (not saying the OP is some teenager, etc), it's just that a lot of members on this forum are teenagers and they think they can let certain maintenance items pass them by. That is the wrong mentality with these cars, you let something slide for too long and it will be a lot worse in the long run.
__________________
WTB FACELIFT SEDAN TITANIUM SILVER DRIVERS FENDER

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #27
NYCsFinestE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 135
My Ride: 2003 325xi
alright, thanks everyone for the links, help and opinions. apprecaite it.. ill let you guys know how it ends up.
NYCsFinestE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #28
TX78666
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 78666
Posts: 776
My Ride: 330i ZHP, N55 135i
Frankly, I am shocked. Tints and caliper paint are usually the first things to fail on these cars.

+1 to the adding coolant. I had that light come on, 6 months ago. Topped it off and haven't had another issue.
__________________
Because... Grocery Getter.



Last edited by TX78666; 12-22-2011 at 12:22 PM.
TX78666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:49 PM   #29
Geo31
Ironman
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Houston, TX, USA
Posts: 1,175
My Ride: 00 328i, 98 M Roadie
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX78666 View Post
Frankly, I am shocked. Tints and caliper paint are usually the first things to fail on these cars.
Oh man, yer killing me! That's great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX78666 View Post
+1 to the adding coolant. I had that light come on, 6 months ago. Topped it off and haven't had another issue.
Yep. No need to over blow this whole thing. Topping off the coolant might take care of everything and then the OP can step back and prioritize things that may need to be done to his car.

Sheesh, sometimes people seem to just have to go overboard.
__________________
George Roffe

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life


Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:52 PM   #30
SPDSKTR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
Posts: 2,143
My Ride: E30 with an S52
Serious question, OP. How old are you? We need to know so we can better explain things about these cars to you. I've learned a great deal about the E46 in the year I've owned it, but even since I was 12, I knew what a "low coolant" light was.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer325 View Post
I know I suck as an OT poster, but at least I have Edken to make me look good.
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #31
NYCsFinestE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 135
My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
Serious question, OP. How old are you? We need to know so we can better explain things about these cars to you. I've learned a great deal about the E46 in the year I've owned it, but even since I was 12, I knew what a "low coolant" light was.
i'm a college student.
NYCsFinestE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #32
Mark M
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 420
My Ride: e30 M3 / e90 335d
To the OP, I feel your concern.....we've all been there and had news we did not want to share. At the end of the day he is your dad and will get over it.

My advice, DON'T keep driving and DON'T ignore the light. The engine in your car has an aluminum block and head. Even a little bit overheated will warp the two and make your engine one very expensive boat anchor.

I'd rather tell my dad I need help on a ~$300 issue (coolant leak) than a ~$4000 issue (new motor due to ignoring this issue)

Old cars use to run for a while when there were problems. New cars, not so much. They are very sensitive.
__________________
Mark M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:55 PM   #33
golf_234
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Orange County
Posts: 1,676
My Ride: E90
Is this real......
Low coolant light... hmmmmmmm... ADD COOLANT.
novel concept.

Add a 50/50 mix of bmw coolant ($20) and distilled water until the float is at its proper level, cold.
The fill cap is in the front of the engine bay by the grille.

After this just keep an eye on your cooling system and if your car ever goes into the red pull over immediately
Also, keep an eye on the level as there could be a leak which may have led to this in the first place.
__________________

2008 135i | Year 1 of the 1 | AW/Black Boston Leather | N54 | JB4 | Map 5 | 19" Matte Black CSLs | Comfort Access
Adaptive Xenons | Premium/Sport | Cold Weather | Brembos | Clear Bra | Auto Dim | Rain Sensor | 350 WHP
golf_234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #34
Geo31
Ironman
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Houston, TX, USA
Posts: 1,175
My Ride: 00 328i, 98 M Roadie
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
Is this real......
Low coolant light... hmmmmmmm... ADD COOLANT.
novel concept.

Add a 50/50 mix of bmw coolant ($20) and distilled water until the float is at its proper level, cold.
The fill cap is in the front of the engine bay by the grille.

After this just keep an eye on your cooling system and if your car ever goes into the red pull over immediately
Also, keep an eye on the level as there could be a leak which may have led to this in the first place.
^^^^^ This.

The sky is NOT falling.
__________________
George Roffe

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life


Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:34 PM   #35
aleksk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 16
My Ride: 2004 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
That is the wrong mentality with these cars, you let something slide for too long and it will be a lot worse in the long run.
Correct. Contrary to my better knowledge, I ignored my OFHG far too long, and got to a point where I couldn't drive the car for more than 50mi without needing to add oil. And an equivalent of BP oil spill part 2 in my driveway.

At least the pressure washer will get some exercise....
aleksk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:46 PM   #36
SPDSKTR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
Posts: 2,143
My Ride: E30 with an S52
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCsFinestE46 View Post
i'm a college student.
I don't even...

But seriously... order the coolant system overhaul kit from Tischer (http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462) so you can have everything fixed at once. You only need the transmission thermostat if you have an automatic. If you drive a manual, don't worry about it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer325 View Post
I know I suck as an OT poster, but at least I have Edken to make me look good.

Last edited by SPDSKTR; 12-22-2011 at 02:48 PM.
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #37
NYCsFinestE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 135
My Ride: 2003 325xi
Thanks everyone, I went to BMW Service today and they topped up the Coolant for me, free of charge.
They told me if I want to bring it in tomorrow for a fee of $140 they will check if theirs any leaks, thermo problems, etc.

I'm just going to bring it to my dads shop and ask him to have a look at the coolant, if theirs any leaks or if it was just low on antifreeze.

Thank you everyone, btw when I left the BMW Service center the car started to run better after they filled the car with coolant, it was a smoother ride and the rpm increase felt right with my force on the pedal (not that i pressed hard or anything)
NYCsFinestE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #38
dmax
Registered User
 
dmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 22,834
My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCsFinestE46 View Post
Thanks everyone, I went to BMW Service today and they topped up the Coolant for me, free of charge.
They told me if I want to bring it in tomorrow for a fee of $140 they will check if theirs any leaks, thermo problems, etc.

I'm just going to bring it to my dads shop and ask him to have a look at the coolant, if theirs any leaks or if it was just low on antifreeze.

Thank you everyone, btw when I left the BMW Service center the car started to run better after they filled the car with coolant, it was a smoother ride and the rpm increase felt right with my force on the pedal (not that i pressed hard or anything)
I've been saying what your Dad has evidently said to you a lot here. Since you went to BMW and not your Dad, I think you were trying to avoid facing him to tell him something is wrong with your car.

No one has said that the cost of overlooking this system has been a new engine for a number here...head gasket only for others. It's expensive.

All we know is you had low coolant. It might be natural seeping because you haven't looked at the coolant level, though if you've only had it four days and it's low now, I'm sure you or your Dad checked the coolant level when you bought it, right?

You need to monitor the level closely in the a.m. when it's cold and on level ground. You need to look for leaks; some are fine to live with, others not at all.

You could be fine; you could be an accident waiting to happen. See your Dad tomorrow; don't drive unless you absolutely have to until you know what's going on. BMW may have 'fixed' it by adding coolant, but maybe it didn't.

Spend the night searching thread titles with 'cooling' in them...read DIYs, so you can impress your Dad with what you've learned. Don't stop reading until you don't have a clue!

See Bimmersgarage's diy vids...if you're in college, you're old enough for them. He has an odd way of using naked women to illustrate common cooling system issues. Quite the show!
__________________


Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:05 PM   #39
NYCsFinestE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 135
My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
I've been saying what your Dad has evidently said to you a lot here. Since you went to BMW and not your Dad, I think you were trying to avoid facing him to tell him something is wrong with your car.

No one has said that the cost of overlooking this system has been a new engine for a number here...head gasket only for others. It's expensive.

All we know is you had low coolant. It might be natural seeping because you haven't looked at the coolant level, though if you've only had it four days and it's low now, I'm sure you or your Dad checked the coolant level when you bought it, right?

You need to monitor the level closely in the a.m. when it's cold and on level ground. You need to look for leaks; some are fine to live with, others not at all.

You could be fine; you could be an accident waiting to happen. See your Dad tomorrow; don't drive unless you absolutely have to until you know what's going on. BMW may have 'fixed' it by adding coolant, but maybe it didn't.

Spend the night searching thread titles with 'cooling' in them...read DIYs, so you can impress your Dad with what you've learned. Don't stop reading until you don't have a clue!

See Bimmersgarage's diy vids...if you're in college, you're old enough for them. He has an odd way of using naked women to illustrate common cooling system issues. Quite the show!

Thank you ! =) good advice and will do
NYCsFinestE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:55 PM   #40
dmax
Registered User
 
dmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 22,834
My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
...and I'm serious about the driving. Although you could be fine doing that, you could be very unfine. It's not worth the risk. Pay attention to the temp gauge...

If it ever does begin to overheat, pull over, turn key to pos 2, heater on highest temp, fan on max speed, three red dots...to help pull some of the heat out of the engine...the heater core is a second radiator...it'll help a little bit to mitigate any damage that might otherwise be caused from overheating.

You're far safer thinking it's more risky to drive than thinking it's fine because some here have said it's fine. I don't know that we know enough to guess; thus, if you're going to err, do so on the side of caution--which side doesn't have a $1000+ repair ticket!
__________________


Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
e46, lol, oil, problem, warning, water

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use