E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 166 votes, 4.91 average.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:51 AM   #1
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
*OFFICIAL* BMW Diagnostic Scanner PA Soft 1.4 Thread

I just received my BMW Scanner 1.4 (PA Soft) and love it! It installed easily and the scanner had no issues connecting and reading codes. I was also able to code the car to automatically roll the windows up by pressing and holding the lock button. Everything else was set the way I wanted, though I still might play around with the various features I can change.

I was disappointed that there is no manual ANYWHERE to explain how to use all the functions. This doesn't seem like something you want to play around with by trial and error. But it IS cool looking into the system to see what is going on.

I did the scan function when I hooked it up. It took a few minutes to go through and test every system and to identify what I had on the car, what wasn't on the car, what had a code and what didn't. Up til now I was reliant on AutoZone to read a code when I had issues. The only codes that were ever read were one for the CPS and another for the thermostat. Both were replaced and the engine light has never come back on. So I was a little puzzled when I saw all the codes below come up. The engine was cold. (Been turned off for at least 3 hours.) These codes came out of the log it created.

DME -> Shadow-memory:
5A/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
5B/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
5D/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative

SRS -> 50/A0 - Power supply, undervoltage

LCM -> Shadow-memory:
34/01 - Brake light, left
3E/01 - Rear fog light faulty
3F/01 - Turn indicator, rear left
40/01 - Turn indicator, rear right
46/01 - Sidelight 3, rear left

ZKE -> Shadow-memory:
8F/21 - Alarm memory: Panic modus was activated

BMBT -> 01/01 - Watchdog reset

XENL -> 2A/01 - Terminal 15 < 7,5 Volt

XENR -> 2A/01 - Terminal 15 < 7,5 Volt

Okay... I know that the alarm code came from either the dealer activating it for me after I installed the OEM system (Before I bought the scanner!) or from me activating the panic feature to test it when I picked it up. I figure the brake light faults were there either when I used to have issues with the ground before I fixed it or when I tested the new bulbs and lenses I installed a few weeks ago. I am assuming that the undervolt issues were caused when the battery died and I swapped in a new one. Anyway... I tried deleting all codes. They all went away except the ones below...

DME -> Shadow-memory:
5A/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
5B/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
5D/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative

SRS -> Shadow-memory:
50/20 - Power supply, undervoltage

I am wondering if the DME codes were thrown because I did this when the engine was cold. I have no idea why the SRS code keeps coimg back. I know that some cars will throw codes just because or at least have a tendency to throw them easily and are nothing to worry about overall. But I do have a few questions...

The CEL doesn't come on to tell me I have thrown a code and the car runs great. But I am curious to learn more about;

1. What the *%#! do these codes actually mean?

2. Is there a PDF manual somewhere to explain the full functionality of the scanner?

Any help would be appreciated... And Merry X-Mas!

Last edited by Solidjake; 05-02-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Big Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
Big Rick

Okay... It looks like, after a little reading, that the codes really aren't even meant to be seen. I still don't know how to erase them but as long as they aren't an issue... I don't care.

I would still love to find a PDF manual for the software though... Or at least a very thorough thread... None found yet.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Hey where did you buy the scanner and software? Also, what computer operating system are you running this on? I heard it won't tun on anything newer than XP (without a lot of tweaking) Thx.
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
Big Rick

I got mine HERE. Though I think you can find them cheaper elsewhere. I am running XP Pro on my CF-30 Panasonic Toughbook. But if you read a little around the web... You can run with Vista or W7. But you do need to make some adjustments.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:49 PM   #5
Bostonbeast

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZen330 View Post
Hey where did you buy the scanner and software? Also, what computer operating system are you running this on? I heard it won't tun on anything newer than XP (without a lot of tweaking) Thx.
Buy it here : http://www.xcar360.com/bmw-scanner-1...scan-tool.html

and I am also running it on windows XP.

Hope that helps
Bostonbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:03 PM   #6
Big Rick

Yup! THAT is the place I saw it for less than half the price I paid. Both are cheaper Chinese made knock-offs... The hardware is easy to make and I really don't worry about that being cheap... It is the software (hacked I'm sure) that does all the work. Mine loaded right up, connected, read codes and recoded the "windows up" feature for me.

Tres cool!
Old 12-25-2011, 09:45 PM   #7
mojako

My Ride: bmw
What else can this software do?

Can it read ABS light errors? Can it program the car to lock the doors automatically or unlock when i take out the key?
mojako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:47 PM   #8
eu teo

My Ride: 330xi
Is it worth buying one of these?

Sent from my EVO 3D
eu teo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:10 PM   #9
Vic328CSi

My Ride: depends on the mood
Quote:
Originally Posted by eu teo View Post
Is it worth buying one of these?

Sent from my EVO 3D

seriously?

e46 328Ci 9psi SC
Vic328CSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:39 PM   #10
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Use the software from the official PA Soft developer's website. Does nobody bother to check that its available for free?

There is no pirated version. It doesn't need to be pirated if it's free. Go ahead try it out, there is NO difference between the two.

Good luck on finding a manual. There isn't one. Just lurk bimmerforums coding section, there are a couple of write ups on the software. It is pretty straightforward to understand. An OP, those first sets of shadow codes you provided are engineering codes, they don't apply to your car, disregard.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:24 PM   #11
eu teo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonbeast View Post
Buy it here : http://www.xcar360.com/bmw-scanner-1...scan-tool.html

and I am also running it on windows XP.

Hope that helps
i just ordered mine from here $28
Old 12-27-2011, 03:33 PM   #12
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
wasn't there a post from Tim the owner of the site saying anyone posting links to bmw's pirated software would be instantly banned? This being as BMW themselves said they would prosecute anyone involved in the theft of their I.P. and subpoena E46Fanatics for their records or something like that?? I may be wrong.

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 12-27-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:43 PM   #13
Bostonbeast

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
wasn't there a post from Tim the owner of the site saying anyone posting links to bmw's pirated software would be instantly banned? This being as BMW themselves said they would prosecute anyone involved in the theft of their I.P. and subpoena E46Fanatics for their records or something like that?? I may be wrong.
1. This isn't BMW's software.
2. PA Soft has the software available for FREE DOWNLOAD on their own website.
3. We are essentially just buying hardware. That's not illegal.
Bostonbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:57 PM   #14
Big Rick

I don't recall boasting about anything.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:06 PM   #15
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonbeast View Post
1. This isn't BMW's software.
2. PA Soft has the software available for FREE DOWNLOAD on their own website.
3. We are essentially just buying hardware. That's not illegal.
Ok I see.

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 12-27-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:26 PM   #16
eu teo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-North View Post
What's the above then??

The title of this thread shouldn't be BMW Scanner 1.4 - PA Soft Purchase as that is the name of the legitimate author and - it should be:
Paid some anonymous Vendor(1) for someone else's Intellectual Property and I'm really happy that I saved money.

(1) The owner of RESETTOOLS.COM has enlisted a domain registration privacy protection agent in order to maintain anonymity since they are selling illegal products.

In regard to the owner's of this forum - they attempt to diminish any liability for perpetuating the proliferation of counterfeit products:
Read here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...8#post13320783

and here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...53&postcount=9
what illegal products are they selling? they all look ok to me.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:14 AM   #17
Pedi

My Ride: 330ci
Its P.A soft's fault. if they made the software more affordable this will not happen (300 or less) . they don't know how to do smart marketing. they could stop this and make a lot more money. don't get me wrong ... people who pirate anything should be punished big time. but i have to agree with ac_2007 tho. why would day put the software for free download on their site if they don't want people "Stealing it" ?
Old 12-28-2011, 06:37 AM   #18
Big Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-North View Post
What's the above then??

The title of this thread shouldn't be BMW Scanner 1.4 - PA Soft Purchase as that is the name of the legitimate author and - it should be:
Paid some anonymous Vendor(1) for someone else's Intellectual Property and I'm really happy that I saved money.

(1) The owner of RESETTOOLS.COM has enlisted a domain registration privacy protection agent in order to maintain anonymity since they are selling illegal products.

In regard to the owner's of this forum - they attempt to diminish any liability for perpetuating the proliferation of counterfeit products:
Read here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...8#post13320783

and here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...53&postcount=9

1. That is not boasting. Perhaps you should look up the definition.

2. At the time I purchased this I was unaware that there were others on the market. Since there are a minimum of 3-4 sites now selling what looks like the same thing... How would a purchaser know unless someone would tell them BEFORE they purchased. This is not the only site that I surf. Other forums openly discuss this and that is where I got the information. As it turns out I could have bought one for half the price I paid!

3. I've found that usually the people who object the most about something are usually the ones who have done or are doing it themselves. Perhaps MP3s? DVD movies? Something... Kind of like a Sunday baptist who drinks and swears all week... But on Sunday... He's a man of the church. Yeah...

4. If I have done anything wrong then I would imagine that I would get a PM from a moderator or the owner... I have not yet. This software and equipment is mentioned all over this site and others.

I am the moderator of a PC tech forum where discussing how to bypass BIOS passwords is strictly forbidden. The forum owner laid down that law as he doesn't want thieves coming on the forum trying to figure out how to bypass or break into the BIOS to change passwords. They do this to show manufacturers that, in good faith, they are doing their part. Yet car forums routinely discuss (and in some cases promote) illegal and unsafe mods, products and customizations. How far do we want to take this? Tinted lenses are illegal in most states yet there are sponsors here who sell them. Many people have hacked into their DME to make their cars do things that are not supposed to be available on the US models... Or for more power. Removal of exhaust parts, etc. There are a bunch more. So what?

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:14 AM   #19
eu teo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick View Post
1. That is not boasting. Perhaps you should look up the definition.

2. At the time I purchased this I was unaware that there were others on the market. Since there are a minimum of 3-4 sites now selling what looks like the same thing... How would a purchaser know unless someone would tell them BEFORE they purchased. This is not the only site that I surf. Other forums openly discuss this and that is where I got the information. As it turns out I could have bought one for half the price I paid!

3. I've found that usually the people who object the most about something are usually the ones who have done or are doing it themselves. Perhaps MP3s? DVD movies? Something... Kind of like a Sunday baptist who drinks and swears all week... But on Sunday... He's a man of the church. Yeah...

4. If I have done anything wrong then I would imagine that I would get a PM from a moderator or the owner... I have not yet. This software and equipment is mentioned all over this site and others.

I am the moderator of a PC tech forum where discussing how to bypass BIOS passwords is strictly forbidden. The forum owner laid down that law as he doesn't want thieves coming on the forum trying to figure out how to bypass or break into the BIOS to change passwords. They do this to show manufacturers that, in good faith, they are doing their part. Yet car forums routinely discuss (and in some cases promote) illegal and unsafe mods, products and customizations. How far do we want to take this? Tinted lenses are illegal in most states yet there are sponsors here who sell them. Many people have hacked into their DME to make their cars do things that are not supposed to be available on the US models... Or for more power. Removal of exhaust parts, etc. There are a bunch more. So what?

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:20 AM   #20
SpoonerDee

My Ride: 2005 E46
Here is my write up on it. I posted it on here too but it disappeared

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1726627

You can use it to read and clear errors as well as code dealer features on or off, on your car
SpoonerDee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bmw scanner, diagnostic tool, error message, pa soft