E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #1
phamine

My Ride: 01 Orient Blue 330i
Send a message via AIM to phamine Send a message via Yahoo to phamine
FIXED: Aftermarket LED tail light is out or flickers intermittently

This is a fix if you have Eagle Eye LED tail lights.

I'm not sure if this fix would work for everyone since these lights are chinese made so there can be multiple points of failure.
Also, you can't get the resistors or voltage regulator separately from the vendors.

The part below is what we fixed. We noticed when we applied pressure to certain point on the box, the lights would come on. You have to pry the box open to get to the circuit board.
On the circuit board, we bridged 2 of the soldering points with graphite/pencil (if you've modded a Wii you'd know what I'm talking about).

Unfortunately, I don't have a pic of the circuit board. If anyone has spares or the same issue - Can you take a pic of the circuit board? I can detail what we bridged.

Not sure what happened but it worked. Maybe someone could chime in.

Last edited by phamine; 09-06-2011 at 09:45 AM.
phamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:16 AM   #2
phamine

Here's the pic of the circuit board.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
What exactly was wrong with yours? Just multiple leds out? I have about 5 or 6 out in my left blinker.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:24 PM   #4
phamine

No.

The entire LED was out for the brake light. All of the LEDs would flicker and go out.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:05 PM   #5
eric_waltrip

My Ride: 2000 blk 323ci 5spd
need a DIY for this
I road in my buddies with 350hp and he switched highways at wot scared tge piss out of me felt as fast other bodies 500hp supra awesome car they are rare hopefully they will bring them back rx8s r ok but I don't like tge rear doors and odd shape and lackbof turbos
eric_waltrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:29 PM   #6
beingdevious
Apple Jews

Location: Drunk onthe Beach.. Official 4ngiefest.com Techie Go to: 4ngiefest.com/donate Needs: to leave the computer Status: ///Pantless
My Ride: 2001 325i Sedan
Send a message via AIM to beingdevious Send a message via Skype™ to beingdevious
have you guys replaced the ground wire that BMW just released a recall for on SEDANS?

i have the same flickering issue, but when i replaced the dr side grounding, the flicker stopped.
now the opposite side is down to 3 LEDs and flickers.. havent replaced the wire.

im curious if the bad wire is causing that circuit box to fail?

On a scale from 0 to 24...wait, 3 to 24, where 6 is the lowest and 12 is the highest, how freaking high re you right now?

She's got you high, and you don't even know yet.
beingdevious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:37 AM   #7
phamine

I replaced the ground wire before checking that part posted above and it did not help.

All the ground did for me was remove the tail light out bulb at start up.

To add, not sure if DEPO LED tail lights apply as I don't know if they use the same components as Eagle Eyes
Old 10-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #8
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Not to threadjack but

For the LED out problem, here is the fix:

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=880623

cumbersome but hey it works.

After changing the faulty LEDs, it worked (for a week) and yesterday the entire driver side turn signal indicator didnt work
After I got home, recheck the connections, seemed fine. Then decided to call it a day and work on it today. But today it works. Not sure why its doing that now, may be the connections getting too hot. I have no idea.
Havent done the ground fix yet, because I do not get any flickering

Any ideas?
Old 10-24-2011, 05:17 PM   #9
rlan214

My Ride: 2001 325xi
I'm pretty much having the same problem in my tails right now but my left brake tails would flicker and my right side turn signal doesn't work sigh,
I'll try to do the pencil trick,
Got mine from DDM contacted them if warranty covers but alas it doesn't and they don't sell a new resistor kit ... they want me to buy a new set
rlan214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:05 AM   #10
phamine

^^All manufacturers don't sell just the resistors; you have to buy a complete set. i think they know that the resistors go bad and want to make more money off you by buying another set.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:23 PM   #11
KNanthrup

My Ride: '01 M3 IR 6spd
Is there any way you can describe the process a little better? How did you know what soldering points to bridge, was there a visual break?
KNanthrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:41 PM   #12
tonyt817

My Ride: 03 TiAg 330i
i need a better explaination as well. i got the black box out but my board looks the same as the one you have pictured
tonyt817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:08 PM   #13
wolrah

My Ride: 2002 325i MT
How exactly did you get the board out from the epoxy goop crap? I've found that box to be the problem with mine as well and my roommate's modded about every console in the last few generations, so it should be easy once I can get access to the actual board.
Electronics: Passport 8500 X50, DICE HD, Cobra 29 NW/WX/ST + Larsen NMO27B, Yaesu VX-7R + no-name 2M/70cm NMO
wolrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #14
JAJA

My Ride: 2003 325ci
If you guys search for my thread, you'll see that I had the same problem and Bryan@JLeviSW sold me a new box. I'm not sure if this is because I originally bought my lights from them, but they are pretty great over there. You guys should contact him and see if he can get you a new box.
JAJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:02 AM   #15
phamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolrah View Post
How exactly did you get the board out from the epoxy goop crap? I've found that box to be the problem with mine as well and my roommate's modded about every console in the last few generations, so it should be easy once I can get access to the actual board.
The box prys open. Run a flat head screw driver along the edges.

If you look at the circuit board, you'll notice there is a greyish spot where I used graphite to merge the 2 pins.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:05 AM   #16
xlzx90

My Ride: E46 320d
Hello!

I'm from Hungary!

I have a problem with my EAGLE EYE Led tail lights. My left tail light has an error. I can see the normal light, but when I braking I can not see the braking light. Its working when the normal light is off, but it's very slightly!The LEDs are ok. The right side is perfect! What can I do? I tried to change the wires beetween the 2 side, but the problem is still here I check also the connections. Have You got an idea?

Thank You,

Happy New Year!

George
xlzx90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:55 AM   #17
trj

^ what do you mean by change the wires? did you interchange the little black boxes? If the problem still persists after swapping the boxes, then there are 2 possibilities.
1) the actual tail lights are faulty. Take them out and swap it with the working ones. You can just hook them up to the opposite harnesses, no need to mount them on the car(which would be impossible without breaking them). This will decide whether you need to go to step 2.
2) trace and check the wiring coming to the black boxes from the third brake light, or the other working tail light. I am not sure unto where you will need to trace for the wiring, I'm sure some one can give you a wiring diagram here.

Do 1) first, so you know whether its the actual lights or the wiring.

PS: The soldering is flimsy in the EE tails, so if the actual tail light is the issue, cut it open and check the soldering, resolver the wire joint points.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:56 AM   #18
jerseyrider
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2001 330Ci-06 K1200s
First off, sorry for the threadjack. I had some problems with my Eagle Eye LEDs. I would get an intermittent tail lamp out warning so I decided to put the stock taillights back in. After swapping out the taillights, I still had a lamp out warning. As it turns out, one of my LED license plate bulbs was failing. I put in the stock bulbs in and aha, no lamp out warning. I kind of like the look of the OEM taillights anyway. Anybody need a set of Eagle LED taillights for a coupe?
jerseyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:51 AM   #19
xlzx90

My Ride: E46 320d
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
^ what do you mean by change the wires? did you interchange the little black boxes? If the problem still persists after swapping the boxes, then there are 2 possibilities.
1) the actual tail lights are faulty. Take them out and swap it with the working ones. You can just hook them up to the opposite harnesses, no need to mount them on the car(which would be impossible without breaking them). This will decide whether you need to go to step 2.
2) trace and check the wiring coming to the black boxes from the third brake light, or the other working tail light. I am not sure unto where you will need to trace for the wiring, I'm sure some one can give you a wiring diagram here.

Do 1) first, so you know whether its the actual lights or the wiring.

PS: The soldering is flimsy in the EE tails, so if the actual tail light is the issue, cut it open and check the soldering, resolver the wire joint points.
Hi!

Yes, I changed the black and also bigger gray boxes. There arent any change. My lamp is faulty,I think. It does this random. Sometimes its good. When I connect the cables, its good for 1 second and after it becomes dim/pale. If I switch the low beam off, I can see the brake lights but much more dime than the right side!
xlzx90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:13 PM   #20
trj

Yup that means the lamp is faulty.
You might want to check the connections in side the lamp housing. I have done a DIY on cutting the housing of EE tails, the link is somewhere above. Use that DIY and check the connections. Resolder the wires. Solder joints are the weakest links on EE tails.

Good luck my friend.