E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2011, 01:40 PM   #21
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Thanks for the black silicon tip.
Will head out to the hardware store in the evening and see if I can get the other light by tomorrow.

The board is secured for sure, with two screws.
But I am more concerned about the water leaks getting inside the lights because I cut on the outer perimeter of the edge(your picture shows the cut inside the inner perimeter).
May be the black silicon will help, I will put one layer of electrical tape over it anyway to prevent any leaks.

I am sure it will help people.
But one must have patience for this though.
cutting the lights, testing the LEDs one by one, and de-soldering the bad ones, resoldering and sealing takes takes steady hands and a lot of patience.
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:43 AM   #22
trj

The passenger side is also done today.
sealed with Black silicon, will write a DIY soon.
But what a pain to cut those lights.
Well, saved some bucks, so no complains.
Just hoping that the LEDs don't burn out again.
I don't want to cut them again, although I have so many LEDs for spare now.

Special Thanks to Intelone for the guidance.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:22 AM   #23
trj

Thanks guys, I made a DIY on the same.

heres the link
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...2#post13711162
Old 10-20-2011, 01:56 PM   #24
kyparamedic

My Ride: 330i
I'm having a similar problem except mine are not burnt out, they just function intermittently. The driver's side turn signal works for a while then may not for several days. Brake lights are not affected. I've checked the connections as best I can and everything seems fine. Any idea what the problem could be? What options do I have? I hate to buy a new pair but don't know where I can buy just the driver's side. I originally bought them from Unique Euro Design but have not been able to contact them.
kyparamedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:18 PM   #25
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
my EE leds failed after two yrs, trashed it and went to R/C/R, no more
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #26
trj

@kyparamedic: may be an issue with the connection. There are a coupe of cables going from the top board to the bottom board. I would check those. Also E46 is infamous for tail light ground issue, so check the ground if its applicable with EE. I am not sure. I just bought this car so a lot to learn yet. But I would check the ground and the connections first.

@pinoybmr3: I was going that route too. I was talking to a fellow fanatic who was selling his R-C-Rs, but just thought to give this a try. Lets see how long it holds and if it does again, I have a ton of LEDs left over.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:31 PM   #27
kyparamedic

[QUOTE=trj;13720965]@kyparamedic: may be an issue with the connection. There are a coupe of cables going from the top board to the bottom board. I would check those. Also E46 is infamous for tail light ground issue, so check the ground if its applicable with EE. I am not sure. I just bought this car so a lot to learn yet. But I would check the ground and the connections first.

I just went over everything again. I can't find any connection issues/loose wires. The brake light on that side works fine, it's just the taillight, which hasn't worked in a week. Could it be the resister box? There appear to be 2 for each side. I wonder where I could find a replacement to see if that's the cause?

Thanks.

Last edited by kyparamedic; 11-02-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:45 PM   #28
trj

[QUOTE=kyparamedic;13759790]
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post

I just went over everything again. I can't find any connection issues/loose wires. The brake light on that side works fine, it's just the taillight, which hasn't worked in a week. Could it be the resister box? There appear to be 2 for each side. I wonder where I could find a replacement to see if that's the cause?

Thanks.
I wonder if the boxes are sold separately, but try swapping the little boxes from the working side and see if the lights work. Also check the connections from the factory harness to those boxes. Did you check the connections with multimeter? Sometimes the connections seem fine but do check with the multimeter to make sure you are getting the flow.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:32 PM   #29
kyparamedic

[QUOTE=trj;13759834]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyparamedic View Post

I wonder if the boxes are sold separately, but try swapping the little boxes from the working side and see if the lights work. Also check the connections from the factory harness to those boxes. Did you check the connections with multimeter? Sometimes the connections seem fine but do check with the multimeter to make sure you are getting the flow.
Ok, I finally got around to swapping the boxes and that was the problem, although it's still a little weird. When I tried the small resistor box from the working side on the non-working side, it worked fine. There must be a problem in some of the wires that connect from the other box though as without the box connected, neither the brakelights nor turn signal work. With the faulty box connected, only the brakelight works.

Anyone know where I can get replacement resistor boxes? I've attached a pic.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010105.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	425006  
Old 11-21-2011, 06:20 AM   #30
phamine

My Ride: 01 Orient Blue 330i
Send a message via AIM to phamine Send a message via Yahoo to phamine
[QUOTE=kyparamedic;13792316]
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post

Ok, I finally got around to swapping the boxes and that was the problem, although it's still a little weird. When I tried the small resistor box from the working side on the non-working side, it worked fine. There must be a problem in some of the wires that connect from the other box though as without the box connected, neither the brakelights nor turn signal work. With the faulty box connected, only the brakelight works.

Anyone know where I can get replacement resistor boxes? I've attached a pic.

Thanks!
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...&highlight=led

My post on how I was able to fix that box.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:48 AM   #31
xlzx90

My Ride: E46 320d
Hello!

I have a problem with my tail lights. My left tail light has an error. I can see the normal light, but when I braking I can not see the braking lamp. Its working when the normal light is off, but it's very slightly! The right side is perfect! What can I do? Can you send me an othet motherboard, or what can be the problem?

Thank You,

Happy New Year!

George
xlzx90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:58 AM   #32
trj

^
you are posting on every thread. I replied in the other one, don't want to type the whole thing again.

Tags
eagle eye, led, problems, tail light