E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 4.04 average. Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 04:30 PM   #21
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
You need to consider upgrading your trans to handle the extra power, and also I do not think the DME from the m52tu will run right with the ZHP engine. At minimum you need bigger injectors. Seems like a lot of expense for a 30hp gain. If you are putting down 172hp at the wheels (don't see how that is possible with a 323) then why bother? A stock ZHP only puts about 200hp to the pavement. And with the wrong DME, you won't be able to take full advantage of the 3.0 motor anyways. A $100 set of headers and pullies would probably be about the same.
I have a ZF tranny and this is the same as the 330 I think.

For my 172HP thread please see my intake manifold retrofit project below
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=intake
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #22
lab rat

My Ride: '02 330iT
No, it's not the same as 330 transmission but it's rated for 250lbs of torque so you'll be fine.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:47 PM   #23
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
Where did you buy it from?
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:02 PM   #24
lab rat

Post your shopping list before ordering parts. It's easy to forget to order something and then having to wait another week for parts.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:09 PM   #25
ac_2007

My Ride: E46 - M3 & 325i
Flash, I don't get it

With all the money you've spent on modding the current 323, plus this engine, you could've easily afforded an S54 swap.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:21 PM   #26
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: 323i -98
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
good point but I am afraid to get a bunch of weird error codes such as

-IAT (MS42). the MS45 IAT is integrated into the MAF
-3/2 way valve (Ms42), MS42 doesnt use the 3/2 valve and has the pressure regulator integrated into fuel filter
-Mechanical throttle (MS42). MS45 has an electronic throttle

until I get the engine and start working on my car everything is a guessing game so I will try to keep my replies to a min.

In the mean time, can anyone can chime on my compression test question?
The MS42 and MS43/5 both have a seperate IAT on pin #20 and #21 of the X6003 connector (they even use thesame sensors)
The MS42 also has a mecanical throttle , the wire is just activationg the potentiometer on the TB (and serving as a failsafe if the MDK is somehow deactivated), on the MS43/5 the pot is on the pedal.
The MS43/5 doesnt monitor fuel pressure , doesnt really matter if you use the M52 or M54 fuelrail, the M54 will have more expensive filters and a longer vacuum line though

From what i can gather you need to crank the engine with the starter to get a good reading , preferably the engine should be warmed up too...

Last edited by SweTurbo; 12-30-2011 at 09:23 PM.
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:16 PM   #27
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
Flash, I don't get it

With all the money you've spent on modding the current 323, plus this engine, you could've easily afforded an S54 swap.
yes, you are right. I was quoted $7K for a complete S54 swap but I am taking on this project because I want the challenge. Of course the S54 is challenging but I think is way over my head if I do it myself (time and resources wise).

this is another subject in itself but I have been seriously taking about retrofitting the ZF 6 speed automatic (found on the twin turbo e9x) on the
M54 engine. It was already confirmed that the bell housing will mate with the engine block perfectly. what havent been confirmed is what modification is required for this to work (Tranny wire harness, TCU, drive shaft, etc)
Old 12-31-2011, 03:26 AM   #28
lejeunebimmer

My Ride: 02' M3 SMG, 02' 330i
Quote:
yes, you are right. I was quoted $7K for a complete S54 swap but I am taking on this project because I want the challenge. Of course the S54 is challenging but I think is way over my head if I do it myself (time and resources wise).

this is another subject in itself but I have been seriously taking about retrofitting the ZF 6 speed automatic (found on the twin turbo e9x) on the
M54 engine. It was already confirmed that the bell housing will mate with the engine block perfectly. what havent been confirmed is what modification is required for this to work (Tranny wire harness, TCU, drive shaft, etc)
They're really good trannys and I mean really good but unless you're dead set on needing an auto or want to be the first to do it the zf 5 speed manual found in early 330s and 328s are pretty much bullet proof with almost no power ceiling (sic) and would be a much easier swap and upgrade from your current 323 zf 5er. Espically should you choose to ever go fi on the b30 or even get into decently modding it they can pass that 250 torque ceiling on your current one pretty easily.

About that compression test. You can easily rig the starter to the engine using (2) 1/2 inch drive 12mm or 13mm sockets and small thin piece of scrap metal. And hot wire the starter as previously stated.

You won't be able to spin it fast enough by hand to build good compression.
Sent from my SPH-M900 using Bimmer
330i - AA Tuned, Headers, UUC Stage I LW FW, e36 M3 Clutch, UUC SS Clutch line, BMW Performance Intake, Evo Sport Pulleys, BMW Performance Cross-Drilled Rotors, Hawk HPS, BW SS Brake Lines, BW Solid Guide Bushings, BMW Performance CF Strut Brace, H&R Sways, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Powerflex Bushings, LED Tails, Clear Sides/Turns, Black Grill, Mtech 2, CF Splitters

M3 - Not enough room to list
lejeunebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:17 AM   #29
Hermes

My Ride: cars older than you
I look forward to seeing how this turns out. If you decide to give up on this I might pick it up from you for my project car. Think of a 1969 3002 (actually I want a S50B32 for a swap... wouldn't that be nice)

Respect Your Elders
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:29 AM   #30
JuicyE46

My Ride: 99 323i
Quote:
Hello,

Just bought a M54B30 ZHP engine off a wrecked car for about $2600. Next week the shipper is sending it out to me and I will start doing my swap. I am going to replace my M52TUB25 engine.

The ZHP engine has about 90,000 miles.

Planning to do the VANOS seal, vanos rattle and change out all the gaskets.

I am planning to run my original injectors, MAF, throttle body (mechanical), and DME (sharked).

Of course I will get it DYNO after the swap and report back. Currently my car has about 172HP (Dynojet) so I am very anxious to see how many ponies I will see after the swap.

More to follow. the update will be slow because I have to wait for the engine to arrive but I will start updating with pix and of the build as soon as I get the parts.

so excited!!!
Good luck! If it works out I'll attempt the same project!
Old 12-31-2011, 11:25 AM   #31
smolck

My Ride: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
I have a ZF tranny and this is the same as the 330 I think.

For my 172HP thread please see my intake manifold retrofit project below
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=intake
I am curious what dyno that was on and if that is corrected power (SAE). I can't figure out how a car with factory 170hp at the crank with an AUTO trans (figure 20-30% loss through the drivetrain) is able to put 170hp to the wheels. A stock ZHP with a 6MT makes 235 at the crank and only gets 200ish to the wheels.

So you are going to go through a lot of pain and anguish to gain 30whp. It would be easier to pick up a used SC kit and bolt it on. I am all for retrofit projects, but this one makes little sense to me. But if you enjoy it, what the heck, go for it right?

One other thing to think about, the 330's come with larger axle splines, I doubt you'll have problems, but it is another potential weak point. And given that the ZF trans is more problematic and weak than it's GM counterpart, I'd strongly suggest a 5 speed swap.

Check my Youtube channel for DIY's and fun stuff
http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
smolck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:42 AM   #32
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
I am curious what dyno that was on and if that is corrected power (SAE). I can't figure out how a car with factory 170hp at the crank with an AUTO trans (figure 20-30% loss through the drivetrain) is able to put 170hp to the wheels. A stock ZHP with a 6MT makes 235 at the crank and only gets 200ish to the wheels.

So you are going to go through a lot of pain and anguish to gain 30whp. It would be easier to pick up a used SC kit and bolt it on. I am all for retrofit projects, but this one makes little sense to me. But if you enjoy it, what the heck, go for it right?

One other thing to think about, the 330's come with larger axle splines, I doubt you'll have problems, but it is another potential weak point. And given that the ZF trans is more problematic and weak than it's GM counterpart, I'd strongly suggest a 5 speed swap.
It just take a minute to read the thread that I posted especially since you questioned (time and time again) my result. I posted my "rebuttal" but yet you continue to ask me the same question. It seems like you are one of those type that are set on your ways and refuse to believe/hear/see any counter arguments that might proof you wrong.

Did x3 dynojet runs each with 4-5 pulls.

each runs consistently pull over 16x ponies.

here is the spec you are asking. again, it just take a minute to read the thread
SAE correction 1.04. SAE Smoothing 3

Last edited by flashmeow; 12-31-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:54 PM   #33
Brevik

My Ride: Tiag M3
As I read through this thread I was thinking the same thing.... read and you may learn something.

Many people are questioning why you are doing this swap for minimal gains, but they are forgetting that this is just a new starting point with a larger platform. Judging by your previous work this will not be the last mod and there will be much larger gains in your future with this new platform.

If I were to do this swap I would not do the drive by wire conversion either, I personally would much rather keep it mechanical and skip all of the problems that are going to come with trying to retrofit drive by wire.

Quote:
It just take a minute to read the thread that I posted especially since you questioned (time and time again) my result. I posted my "rebuttal" but yet you continue to ask me the same question. It seems like you are one of those type that are set on your ways and refuse to believe/hear/see any counter arguments that might proof you wrong.

here is the spec you are asking. again, it just take a minute to read the thread

Great project btw I will be following and cheering you on, make sure to keep us up to date on your progress.
Brevik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:59 PM   #34
smolck

My Ride: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:

You need not get so defensive. If you don't see why I am questioning you then re-read my posts. I didn't say I didn't believe you.

Check my Youtube channel for DIY's and fun stuff
http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
smolck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #35
flashmeow
Banned User

Mini update: the engine is coming on 17jan. We already bought a cherry picker and an engine stand. Oh yeah....scored a great price on a used zhp cluster. Going to erase the EPROM chip and encode it with my vin and mileage.

Tonight I will post pictures of the engine stand and cherry picker

sent from HTC EVO
Old 01-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #36
flashmeow
Banned User

1000lbs engine stand
2 ton cherry picker

also...painted some parking strips in the garage (oil based paint). Need to clear coat the strips with eproxy but still waiting for the oil based paint to dry. 1 week of drying/curing time should be okay

used cluster

very confident that I can transplant the EPROM chip from my old cluster to the new cluster or just erased the EPROM all together
Old 01-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #37
Sweeney921

My Ride: 2003 330Ci ZSP
Enjoy the new project! Someday when I have a backup DD I'll have a go at an engine swap up to the S52, I'm too emotionally attached to my 330Ci to give it up for an M3. You're my hero for doing a swap.
Sweeney921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #38
Hermes

My Ride: cars older than you
where did you get that sweet Sauber poster?

Respect Your Elders
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:34 AM   #39
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
where did you get that sweet Sauber poster?
On amazon for $11 but hurry there is only 3 left in stock. the poster is like 3ft by 5ft long.

more info here:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...602&highlight=
Old 01-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #40
lab rat

Nice setup, the engine stand is well worth it. Do the rear crankshaft seal before you put it on the stand.
I admire your confidence with car electronics. I wish I was this brave

Tags
too many pictures