E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 06:05 AM   #1
MBM330i

My Ride: e46 330i
Big brake kit ADVISE NEEDED

So moving along with various upgrades and have plans of supercharging in the not so distant future, so I first want to get my brakes sorted.
what brand / style/ size should I look for? I would like to change front and back. Any suggestions would be great. And if any of our sponsors have some packages please give me the heads up.
thanks in advance

E46 318i with transplant 3.0M54 5sp manual
Still have the original washer bottle under the hood
WTB new washer bottle
MBM330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
M3_Aaron

My Ride: E46 M3
You need to figure out what you're willing to spend for peace of mind and go from there.

In my opinion the best upgrades are from Brembo, AP Racing, Alcon and Performance Friction but they'll come at a premium as good brakes do. Size will be determined by the manufacturers offerings. Generally they are matched to the size of your OEM master cylinder.

There are cheaper kits around but you might find that they aren't supported as well locally or are multi-piston bling. The availability and price of replacement parts might also be an issue.

I wouldn't buy any kit recommended from a forum vendor unless if you were familiar and confident with that product. The amount of crap that get peddled as quality these days is disappointing.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
dsio

My Ride: E46 328i / 330ci
Ah... I was about to say the 330i/330ci factory brakes are actually very good but I'm guessing you've still got the small 318i brakes on your swapped 330i. Mind you its entirely possible I don't push them nearly as much, but bugger me if the stopping power of the 330ci hasn't saved me on a few occasions.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
Goondaddy

My Ride: 2002 325ci
Brake upgrades are all fine and dandy, but more importantly, ensure that you have some decent rubber. That will have more of an effect than brakes when it comes to pulling up quickly.
Goondaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #5
Nath

My Ride: MY13 Maloo
TMQ is parting out his 380mm Brembo BBK off his 330ci?
Old 01-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
msbhvn

My Ride: Coupe
ECS offer a BMW BBK, the kit uses the BMW Motorsport pieces, look into it.

I have wilwoods brakes and the where reasonably priced, I bought them from UUC
msbhvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #7
MBM330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Aaron View Post
You need to figure out what you're willing to spend for peace of mind and go from there.

In my opinion the best upgrades are from Brembo, AP Racing, Alcon and Performance Friction but they'll come at a premium as good brakes do. Size will be determined by the manufacturers offerings. Generally they are matched to the size of your OEM master cylinder.

There are cheaper kits around but you might find that they aren't supported as well locally or are multi-piston bling. The availability and price of replacement parts might also be an issue.

I wouldn't buy any kit recommended from a forum vendor unless if you were familiar and confident with that product. The amount of crap that get peddled as quality these days is disappointing.
Im looking to spend up to $2,500

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio View Post
Ah... I was about to say the 330i/330ci factory brakes are actually very good but I'm guessing you've still got the small 318i brakes on your swapped 330i. Mind you its entirely possible I don't push them nearly as much, but bugger me if the stopping power of the 330ci hasn't saved me on a few occasions.
I had the brakes replaced but they are the same 318-328 have all the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goondaddy View Post
Brake upgrades are all fine and dandy, but more importantly, ensure that you have some decent rubber. That will have more of an effect than brakes when it comes to pulling up quickly.
yeah got Achilles I'm happy with them for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nath View Post
TMQ is parting out his 380mm Brembo BBK off his 330ci?
Has he decided he is parting out??
Quote:
Originally Posted by msbhvn View Post
ECS offer a BMW BBK, the kit uses the BMW Motorsport pieces, look into it.

I have wilwoods brakes and the where reasonably priced, I bought them from UUC
I was looking at the wilwoods myself are the good? What size did you get
Old 01-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
tedelex06

My Ride: E46 323i S/C
6 pot 996 fronts (350) are the goods
tedelex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:55 PM   #9
msbhvn

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-323...OEM/ES2215444/

These ones.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:08 PM   #10
M3_DU

My Ride: '02 M3
Are you going to track the car? If not just upgrade to some M3 brakes and save yourself a whole lot of money. Pads and discs will be cheaper in the long run too.
M3_DU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #11
Mitch E46

My Ride: M3 Convertible
does your $2,500 include installation? For that money your probably looking at 2 piston fronts and rears.

Johnny at KCR Performance (Sydney based) might be able to help you with a deal. Send a PM to Johnca.

I've just purchased a Brembo big brake kit from KCR Perfomance. The kit includes 6 piston fronts and 4 piston rears

Last edited by Mitch E46; 01-02-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Mitch E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #12
Scotty_89

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
You've got Achilles tyres and your happy with them?

I got them in my wheel package, and they are cheap and nasty.

You should look into better tyres after you get new brakes.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #13
johnca
Modded ///Member

My Ride: E46 Slow CSL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch E46 View Post
does your $2,500 include installation? For that money your probably looking at 2 piston fronts and rears.

Johnny at KCR Performance (Sydney based) might be able to help you with a deal. send a PM to Johnca.

I've just purchased a Brembo big brake kit from KCR Perfomance. The kit includes 6 piston fronts and 4 piston rears
Old 01-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #14
gueste46
Banned User

Speaking of brakes, last week for the first time, and only for a kilometer or so, I pushed my car to the limits of my driving ability; acceleration, braking and cornering. I picked the time and place carefully so only put myself at risk.

I scared the sh1t out of myself. I learned a couple of things; I lack the skills to drive like that and the brakes, although adequate, did not give me the stopping power for that sort of driving.

So, like the OP, I am considering the possibility of upgrading the brakes. I have no intention of repeating that drive but I would like to know that in an emergency I can stop quickly and in a safe manner.

Is there a great difference between the stock brakes on my car and 4 or even 6 pot brakes? Not having driven a car fitted with serious brakes, I have no idea.
gueste46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #15
11EAS

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
Is there a great difference between the stock brakes on my car and 4 or even 6 pot brakes? Not having driven a car fitted with serious brakes, I have no idea.
Depends how you drive it, I would say the difference though... Life and Death?

'04 JB/IR M3
11EAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:16 PM   #16
dan_1337

My Ride: 330CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
Speaking of brakes, last week for the first time, and only for a kilometer or so, I pushed my car to the limits of my driving ability; acceleration, braking and cornering. I picked the time and place carefully so only put myself at risk.

I scared the sh1t out of myself. I learned a couple of things; I lack the skills to drive like that and the brakes, although adequate, did not give me the stopping power for that sort of driving.

So, like the OP, I am considering the possibility of upgrading the brakes. I have no intention of repeating that drive but I would like to know that in an emergency I can stop quickly and in a safe manner.

Con, you could get a little more stopping power with fresh brake fluid (if it hasn't been done in a while), more aggressive pad and possibly slotted rotors.

OP, IMO have a look at 330ci brakes as the discs are bigger (325mm front, 320mm rear) or M3 brakes (328mm f/r). Quite sure both will need mounts.

The last time I checked these BMW performance brakes, they are built by brembo but only have one pad available as they are a BMW designed kit.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #17
MBM330i

Quote:
I think I will order these :thumsup:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedelex06 View Post
6 pot 996 fronts (350) are the goods
yeah seen this is a popular upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_DU View Post
Are you going to track the car? If not just upgrade to some M3 brakes and save yourself a whole lot of money. Pads and discs will be cheaper in the long run too.
yes will be tracking the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch E46 View Post
does your $2,500 include installation? For that money your probably looking at 2 piston fronts and rears. Lots out there for under this price. Mate owns dynotune no installed cost.

Johnny at KCR Performance (Sydney based) might be able to help you with a deal. Send a PM to Johnca.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty_89 View Post
You've got Achilles tyres and your happy with them?

I got them in my wheel package, and they are cheap and nasty.

You should look into better tyres after you get new brakes.
yes happy with them for now. Had worse and really don't feel any different to my f1s I had. Will be changing soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnca View Post
think I'm sorted with ECS OEM BMW performance kit above. Let me know if you can offer anything? Will be ordering by the end of the week

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_1337 View Post
Con, you could get a little more stopping power with fresh brake fluid (if it hasn't been done in a while), more aggressive pad and possibly slotted rotors.

OP, IMO have a look at 330ci brakes as the discs are bigger (325mm front, 320mm rear) or M3 brakes (328mm f/r). Quite sure both will need mounts.

The last time I checked these BMW performance brakes, they are built by brembo but only have one pad available as they are a BMW designed kit.
Looked into the 330 brakes easy to fit front but rear needs some alterations. Also I want them to look good aswell.
Ecs is wining hands down. Performance, price & aesthetics

WTB new washer bottle
Old 01-03-2012, 02:02 AM   #18
msbhvn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBM330i View Post
I think I will order these :thumsup:
I don't think you can go wrong really, for the price, fact they're 6piston and service from ECS it is a no brainier

Please post a review if you get a chance, I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:05 AM   #19
tey elvis

My Ride: M3 Vert
Quote:
I doubt they are suitable for tracking.IMHO
I have a complete front n rear used GT Brembo kit for 330 if you are interested. If you are after the front only, willing to part them for USD2500shipped. Located in Singapore.

Last edited by tey elvis; 01-05-2012 at 02:47 AM.
tey elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:46 AM   #20
MBM330i

Yeah still looking around.

WTB new washer bottle