E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 54 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 10:48 AM   #141
NerdCore

My Ride: 02 325i
Sorry let me clarify, I meant parrot. I have a parrot Bluetooth handsfree. With that system working can the radio without the aux and other nice stuff run the iPhone with music and charge it while the iphone is paired with Bluetooth to the parrot? Can the USA adapter and a Bluetooth adapter work at the same time?

I found my answer Googling.

(OO=(||||) (||||)=OO)

Click4Facebook
NerdCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:50 PM   #142
miaM7

My Ride: 04 325i Sp
Not sure if people know this, if you press SCAN button, thw usa spec will play 10s from each song. Dnt know why they implemented thus feature and why that feature exists on the radio to begin with ...
miaM7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #143
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaviman View Post
will this work on 1999-2000 radios?
yes. It works on all BMW E46 radios from 1998 thru 2006. All you need is for your car to be prewired for the CD Changer.

If not BMW sells the CD Changer Data cable anyway and you can always buy that.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:21 PM   #144
Comanche5

My Ride: BMW 330ci ZHP
Solution for digital static

For those poor unfortunates that encounter digital static (dit dit dit) associated with headunit display updates, I have figured out a solution (using only a small piece of wire). From a discussion with steve.325i, it seemed likely that the source of the digital static is a grounding issue.

1) Access your BMW CD changer cable in the trunk

2) Disconnect the USA Spec cable

3) Unclip the plastic sheath from the BMW audio cable (ie. six pin connector)
. This gives you access to the back of the connector and allows you to identify the pin numbers (written on the connector itself).

4) Fit a small piece of wire from the back of pin 2 (brown ground wire) to the adjacent pin 3 (empty slot). This functions to link the audio ground to the common ground once you reconnect the USA Spec cable.

5) Reconnect the cables and test. If the digital static remains, then the small wire is NOT in contact with the leads (try repositioning the wire). *I actually did this with the stereo on. You can hear then the contact is made. Just make sure your stereo is turned down low. It eliminated the problem immediately*

I've used this solution for a week solid without any problems. No digital static and no sequelae.

One would have to wonder if this solution would have helped all the poor souls with DICE.
Comanche5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:32 AM   #145
LaPlaya7BMW

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Well Done delmarco!

delmarco: WOW! thanks for the installation instruction on the USASPEC PA12BMW. Your photo log and personal comments are impressive. I am going to install the same in my car. Was a bit hesitant until I saw your posting.

Am looking for iPod adapter for my 2002 330Ci. Installed a mini plug adapter kit a few years ago. Blitzone adapter to CD changer in trunk, wired to front. Problem is that I used monster cables to connect from the back to the front. Now I have to turn the BMW Business CD volume way up and my device's volume way up to get decent sound. It works but whoa to he that switches back to FM or CD without turning volume down.

Base on postings such as this one and a number of other reviews I'm going with the USASPEC.
LaPlaya7BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:22 AM   #146
v_jack

My Ride: 325i
I just want to plug the USA Spec product. I've installed it and it works very well.

I did have a "professional" install the cable and they botched it. Based on that experience I'd recommend either DYI or mechanic to run the cable
v_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #147
jason330i
moderation in all things

My Ride: 2002 330i
any developers out there tried iOS 5 with the USA Spec?

you sir, are a
jason330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:44 AM   #148
miaM7

My Ride: 04 325i Sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason330i View Post
any developers out there tried iOS 5 with the USA Spec?
Sadly, it gives an error "No Magazine" with ios5 beta1. Ive contacted usa spec to see if They have upgrade plans.
miaM7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #149
trale

My Ride: 325Ci
I finally got off my lazy ass and bought it and went through the install.

For those interested, I DID manage to find an extension cable for the iPod interface, so I am able to fully realize my original goal: neatly stash the USA-Spec inside the trunk and route the ipod cable cleanly all the way from the trunk to the armrest.

I did not have to tear open any cushions/linings etc as in delmaro's pics (which made this kind of scary in the first place), and I didn't even use a coat hanger.

I simply routed the cable through the collapsible back seat (through the crevice where the seat folds down), then underneath the backseat, then running to the armest. The cable is for the most part out of sight except a small section that hugs the side of the seat.

Thank god I did not have to mess around with the glove box.

My 325 is finally road-worthy. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trale View Post
Thanks for the responses guys, I will rethink the extension idea. I have a 2004 325Ci coupe, so that's not the issue. I'd just prefer to have a more "versatile" installation if possible - one that lets me easily uninstall the unit in the future. Seems like once I get it in the glove box, I'll never want to mess with it again.

Actually since I have a coupe, I might be able to take the advantage of the shorter car length. Can you confirm that the iPod cable is 4 ft? That ~might~ be long enough for the cable to reach from the trunk to say... somewhere near the bottom left side of the driver seat.

What do you think? Would there be a way for me to position the unit in a spot in the trunk that's as close as possible to the cabin, and route the iPod cable into the cabin (without having to drill holes or do any permanent damage)?
trale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:15 AM   #150
BlackThunder2010

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
yes. It works on all BMW E46 radios from 1998 thru 2006. All you need is for your car to be prewired for the CD Changer.

If not BMW sells the CD Changer Data cable anyway and you can always buy that.
Delmarco - Finally I found what I was looking for fron your DIY. I have iPhone 4 and listen to Pandora with my earphones a lot. But in the car (2002 330cic HK no Nav) there is no working aux input. I am sayin "no working" because I have one input in my glove box. Previous owner I think did that. But when I hook up my iPhone nothing happens. I tried different things like my Garmin etc no response.

My question is how can I check if the Aux input cable is working or not? If it is working, is it possible to be able to listen Pandora from my iPhone with that Aux cable? Or I need to buy a Dice or USA Spec PA12 too? I am looking for the ability to listen Internet Radio or something from the internet or my ebooks through my car sterio. I have no interest on listening music from playlists (iPod). I will be looking for a bluetooth feature for my iPhone for hands free talk after this. I am targeting Parrot ck3000 EVO on that one.

So far I did these: I looked at the connections behind the business CD unit. All cables (CD changer, Aux input, and others.) are connected and good shape. I used a forum (http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/view...?f=12&t=117338) that shows the connection schematic.

What is the most cost effective solution for my needs?
BlackThunder2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #151
mybmwisallst0ck

My Ride: BMW '02-330Ci, '99M3
Exclamation Will this work for me?

i have a 2002 330ci bmw.. the model radio that does not allow the AUX input using the L R and ground pins... (another DIY thread)

will the USASPEC work with my current unit?
Old 01-02-2012, 09:07 PM   #152
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybmwisallst0ck View Post
i have a 2002 330ci bmw.. the model radio that does not allow the AUX input using the L R and ground pins... (another DIY thread)

will the USASPEC work with my current unit?
The usa-spec interfaces to the HU via the CD interface in the trunk. You should not have any issues.

What other thread are you refering to? Link please.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:05 AM   #153
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
steveo is correcto
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #154
mybmwisallst0ck

My Ride: BMW '02-330Ci, '99M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325i View Post
The usa-spec interfaces to the HU via the CD interface in the trunk. You should not have any issues.

What other thread are you refering to? Link please.
link here

this quick little fix does not work with my radio.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:02 PM   #155
jmanfredonia

My Ride: 325i
does anyone have an ebay link for the best deal on the USA spec?
Old 03-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #156
fios

Has anyone upgraded to the new iOS 5 software on their Iphone or Ipod? You may want to hold off on buying USA Spec if you run into the problem I have. Last year and I got rid of dice and went with USA spec. Loved the sound quality. Unfortunately, I put car away for Winter and pulled it out to use Iphone, but discovered it wouldn't work since I upgraded Iphone operating software to iOS 5. I get the dreaded "no magazine" message on radio. I called tech support at USA Spec and was disappointed by Joe's response: 1 send back unit for software upgrade for $75. or 2. Switch DP switches to off and let Iphone control head unit. I tried this option and the sound is not the same. I think it's using the aux source. When we switch over the radio, you have to remember to turn down the volume. I understand profit, but this is silly for USA spec to expect a customer to upgrade software on unit each time Apple upgrades their software. Any suggestions? I assume other users have upgraded the operating system. Thanks.
fios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #157
Washburn

My Ride: 2005 AW 330Ci ZHP
Hmmm....That's disappointing. why should WE pay to update the SW on the product? That makes no sense.
I haven't tried my USA spec since upgrading the iphone 4s to 5.1 form 5.0.1
It worked fine with the previous version though (5.0.1) , so when you say "ios 5" do you mean ios 5.0.1 or the newest 5.1?
Old 03-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #158
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
IMO usa-spec shouldn't be slammed for not being able to forecast Apple's future product interfaces and protocols.
This is apples fault for not being backward compatible.

My complete post is here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...&postcount=356
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #159
fios

Steve, I appreciate your response. It is unfortunate that USA spec doesn't make it more clear up front. It's a big issue. Basically I paid $100 to listen to my music on the Iphone in my car. It was cheaper then subscribing to Sirus or XM, but I am still disappointed. There should be a huge WARNING on the box or their website regardless of who's at fault. Don't upgrade the software or don't buy the USA Spec product because at some point, they will not be compatible and the USA SPEC becomes a paperweight.
fios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #160
Washburn

My Ride: 2005 AW 330Ci ZHP
Have to agree - the least you can do for future customers is honestly WARN them of the limitations...
i LOVE my USA spec, but if it stops working with ios 5.1 (as i already said, worked fine with ios 5.0.1) it will be a BIG disappointment.
If that's the case i think as fellow customers, we should also post on Amazon discussion threads that USA Spec doesn't / won't work with current and any future iphones/ipods having an ios later than ios 5.1.

Have to be fair and honest to customer, Steve. No matter whose fault it is, if the item doesn't/won't work with current Apple SW, it doesn't - and THAT should be stated.

I have posted MANY times everywhere on bimmerforums and other forums, and bragged about it, i know for a fact that I have converted at least 10 people to go with USA spec instead of Dice. So please understand we are only demanding what's fair.

Last edited by Washburn; 03-21-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Washburn is offline   Reply With Quote