E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > Sponsor Press Releases & New Product Announcements > Ask a Site Sponsor

Ask a Site Sponsor
Ask a site sponsor a question, request pricing on products or suggest a group buy!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 03:54 PM   #1
Little Dragon

My Ride: E46s
Why do some sponsors not post pricing in their threads?

Just curious, I've seen lots of threads where items are "on sale". Yet when searching for the pricing I'm always referred to "Call to get lowest possible price" or "PM for more details", with not so much as a mention as to what the sale price actually is.

Why can't some sponsors just post their price?

Last edited by Little Dragon; 12-05-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Little Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
gain your interest first, that way later the price will be less of a factor to your decision of purchasing
Old 12-06-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
KHOALTY, Inc.
Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to KHOALTY, Inc.
Its bc most the specials isn't really a special at all. Its all marketing hype. With things being secretive it is bound that some other vendor will lower their price to be better than theirs so they create things so others can't lower their pricing while they gain most profit. That is what we see from the new generation of vendors and some old ones.

Another thing would be they are bound by rules where they can't sell it lower since they really don't buy the items direct but from another source so they are barred by rules in what they can sell at and not...by calling in, it is your word against theres and no history at all so vendors don't get in trouble.

Last edited by KHOALTY, Inc.; 12-06-2011 at 04:29 PM.
KHOALTY, Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:27 PM   #4
Ryan@GF-Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHOALTY, Inc. View Post
Its bc most the specials isn't really a special at all. Its all marketing hype. With things being secretive it is bound that some other vendor will lower their price to be better than theirs so they create things so others can't lower their pricing while they gain most profit. That is what we see from the new generation of vendors and some old ones.

Another thing would be they are bound by rules where they can't sell it lower since they really don't buy the items direct but from another source so they are barred by rules in what they can sell at and not...by calling in, it is your word against theres and no history at all so vendors don't get in trouble.
Sorry, but I have to disagree to a certain extent. I think it's wrong to throw all vendors into the same boat.

The reasons why you will see "PM for best price" or "Call for price" is due to the following:

1. The price they are offering is below the MAP (Minimum Advertised Price). A MAP limits vendors from PUBLICLY ADVERTISING prices lower than what is allowed by the manufacture. However, that doesn't mean they can't sell a product below MAP, hence the "PM for best price". They can't publicly advertise the price because they are selling it below the MAP. MAP prices are introduced by almost all mainstream manufacturers in order to keep a "balanced" economy and relationship between vendors and customers, instead of having vendors compete for the lowest price until eventually there is almost no profit left when selling a part.

A very common example is VMR Wheels, you will see that every sponsor has the same price. That is due to everyone lowering their price to MAP. However, there are ways to make products cheaper while maintaining the MAP. That is done by having low shipping costs or abolishing shipping costs completely, like how we have done with VMR Wheels allowing us to have the lowest final prices while maintaining MAP.

2. The product is custom made for each application, this can be found on our site for all of the HRE brand wheels. We are unable to post a price because each wheel is made to order under the customer's specifications, so we and many others will put "Call for price".

I strongly believe that most vendors on this forum are here because of their strong love of cars and the community. While it may happen, I just can't see any vendor on here purposely keeping prices secret to "deceive" their customers like you mention.
Ryan@GF-Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
WheyArea

My Ride: '03 TiAg ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan@GF-Performance View Post
I strongly believe that most vendors on this forum are here because of their strong love of cars and the community. While it may happen, I just can't see any vendor on here purposely keeping prices secret to "deceive" their customers like you mention.
I have to disagree with this unfortunately. I understand the MAP and it's purpose, but there are some vendors (one in particular) that DOES use these tactics to garner interest and deceive (many members probably already know who).

If every vendor were here for the reasons you stated, you'd be seeing ALOT more deals for prices that are far below what some of them ask. Granted, there are quite a few stellar sponsors in the forums - there are equally as many POS.

Sponsors are in the business of making money - period. Don't give me this "it's all about love and community" because that's just straight up BS that you feed to uneducated optimists with money to burn. It's definitely a reason why you chose THIS business as opposed to a restaurant, but let's be honest, you want to be paid to do something you enjoy and that's understandable.

If sponsors did it purely for enjoyment and fanaticism you'd be volunteering your time and energy while making 'survival money' on another venture. Not that it's impossible, but you'd have to either already been financially stable prior or just plain NUTS!

/// Dinan ECU /// Brembo BBK /// BBS LM 19" /// Bilstein PSS10
/// Eisenmann Exhaust /// Supersprint Mid Pip /// AC Schnitzer Spoiler
/// Hamann Lip /// AC Schnitzer CF Diffuser /// K&N CAI /// Valentine 1

Coming Soon...... OEM SSK, CSL bootlid
WheyArea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
Ryan@GF-Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheyArea View Post
I have to disagree with this unfortunately. I understand the MAP and it's purpose, but there are some vendors (one in particular) that DOES use these tactics to garner interest and deceive (many members probably already know who).

If every vendor were here for the reasons you stated, you'd be seeing ALOT more deals for prices that are far below what some of them ask. Granted, there are quite a few stellar sponsors in the forums - there are equally as many POS.

Sponsors are in the business of making money - period. Don't give me this "it's all about love and community" because that's just straight up BS that you feed to uneducated optimists with money to burn. It's definitely a reason why you chose THIS business as opposed to a restaurant, but let's be honest, you want to be paid to do something you enjoy and that's understandable.

If sponsors did it purely for enjoyment and fanaticism you'd be volunteering your time and energy while making 'survival money' on another venture. Not that it's impossible, but you'd have to either already been financially stable prior or just plain NUTS!

You have to understand that most of us vendors are car enthusiasts ourselves, we are not money hungry corporations. Like I said to Khoalty, you can't throw everyone in the same boat. GF-Performance is here for the community and our love of cars, I mean it. There is nothing I love more than to drive my E46 on a road course. We have a 2005 Alpine White M3 that we are currently building as a track car, we just picked up a Laguna Seca Blue M3 and we will be picking up another E46 M3 around March to build as a NASA TT car. Our love of cars is the ONLY reason why we are here, and to be honest I am a person that really likes to help people. I have spent hours at a time talking to potential customers and love every second of it. I love to talk to people about their cars and listen to their plans, customer or not. I know this is "unheard of" this day in age, but there are people out there that find great joy in putting a smile on someone's face. Every time I place an order I think of how the customer will react when he/she opens the box, It puts a big smile on my face because I know they will be happy and excited.

Last edited by Ryan@GF-Performance; 12-11-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Ryan@GF-Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:06 PM   #7
KHOALTY, Inc.
Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to KHOALTY, Inc.
Just wait until you start getting fake emails from the competitor and they will do whatever it takes to throw you under the bus and you may change your mind when your acct gets cut off bc you hooked someone up.
KHOALTY, Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
Matthew@wltsautosports
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: e46 m3 jb/ir
Send a message via AIM to Matthew@wltsautosports
everyone in this thread makes a valid point. at then end of the day none of the vendors or sponsors would be here if they were not making money. yes there are companies out there that just want to sell to the customer who knows nothing with deep pockets. and yes there are vendors here who have a passion for what they do and how they conduct business. But in any retail market all 3 of you are right. manufactures will do what they can to cut you out, vendors will do whatever it takes to make a buck and vendors will do whatever they can. both khoalty and gf are good people. khoalty has some of the best prices on the market and from my recent encounter with ryan he is a straight shooter. Keep up the good work guys!
Matthew@wltsautosports is offline   Reply With Quote