E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW News from around the Web

BMW News from around the Web
Submit the latest BMW news from around the world for other E46Fanatics members to check out.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 07:17 PM   #81
TiAg323ci

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Quote:
I mean...who would want a new car with a warranty when you could drive a difficult-to-fix decade old car?

That's right - those who are concerned with the words, "I drive a BMW."
I think you are looking past the fact that the E46 BMW's were named to the Car and Driver 10 Best Cars list every single year in production, the fact that these cars are easy to fix and this board has more DIY's than almost any other forum I have personally seen, and BMW's stellar reputation for building very safe cars, with excellent performance, that also have ton's of longevity, might appeal to some people. I am currently looking at a 1988 BMW M3 with 140,000 as a weekend car and an investment. While I understand the Hyundai has a 10 year warranty and is probably ranked highly though JD Powers and comes in some sort of electric blue, I don't think (might be a little biased here) that the Sonata may have the collectibility that the original M3 has 10 years down the road.
Koni FSD's | Eibach Pro Springs |Staggered 19" VMR 710's | Hotchkiss Sway Bars | BMW Performance CF Strut Bar | Meyle HD Control Arms, RSM, Diff. bushing | Powerflex FCAB, RTAB| Brembo Sport Slotted Rotors + Akebono Euro Ceramic | Simota CF CAI | Conforti Shark Injector | Stewart Water Pump | M3 front and rear spoilers | Depo smoked front/side signals, Eagle Eye smoked LED tails | ACS interior trim/pedals | UUC Rob Knob 5 & floor mats |

Last edited by TiAg323ci; 12-30-2011 at 07:20 PM.
TiAg323ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:46 AM   #82
gsn794

My Ride: 2002 325i
Around this time frame my then girlfriend was looking for a cheap new car. One of the cars we drove was a Hyundai Excel, and I remember it as one of the worst cars I've ever driven. The shifter, all the pedals and the steering felt very spongy, and the suspension was equally sloppy. Worst of all, pressing on the gas pedal produced lots of noise and vibration, but very little forward motion. Needless to say, she passed on that one.
gsn794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:42 PM   #83
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkripon View Post
Huh?...it seems like u despise people with BMW who thinks they are better than everyone else...(there was a thread on that by the way)...which I dislike also...but I'm not that guy....I've own varies cars in my life from a '79 corolla to my '02 325ci...and after all its done and said...I'm that same guy with the '79 corolla...always a fan of what I drove and owned...I drove and owned Toyotas, hondas, acuras, chevys, Mitsubishi, bmws...and even got to drive a Lexus...and I preferred the BMW's looks & driving capabilities than the other cars...I think u are being a little too judgemental with ur last statement there bro...not all BMW owners are concerned with the words "I drive a BMW"...
And the new car warranty question...I could care less about it...most cars should last about 5 years or more- people who worry about warranty when buying a car are normally the point A to point B owners( they want to make sure their car last as long as possible for the money they spent on it)...a real car fanatics wouldn't care much because when **** breaks they fix it themselves...

And I did thank all the fanatics for the use of their car pics....they are look great BMW's or Hyundai ...lol

was this your car below?
This guy knows what he is talking about!!
Old 12-31-2011, 07:44 PM   #84
trizzuth

Btw, those pics of the hyundai on lm's??? Are you seriously comparing that to the way they look on the lsb m3???
Old 01-01-2012, 10:29 AM   #85
screamer-beemer531

My Ride: BMW M3 E46 6spd PY
Hyundai is a piece of trash, honestly, who would buy those plain pieces of junk? They're boring, plastic, look plain and dumb etc For the love of god don't compare BMW to Hyundai
Old 01-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #86
pkripon

My Ride: 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
Btw, those pics of the hyundai on lm's??? Are you seriously comparing that to the way they look on the lsb m3???
No...it was just to give an example of 2 cars with same wheels...and which car would most car enthusiasts choose...( and one is older than the other)
pkripon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:49 AM   #87
vilseck21

My Ride: B_Cryus's mother
In 2002 I bought my 1st new car it was a red elantra GT. I drove that thing till I almost had 100k, and not once did I ever have any issues ever, no lower control arm bushings, no seals, no ball joints, no sun roof leakages... nothing. I can tell you my BMW has had more issues in 2/3rds of the miles.

It wasent loud, handeld well, quality interor, nicer dash lighting than my BMW,

I kinda miss that car

Last edited by vilseck21; 01-02-2012 at 01:21 AM.
vilseck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:53 PM   #88
Tate325xi

My Ride: 325xi & CLK55 AMG
Hyundai has without a doubt come a very long way since that ad. The Genesis and Equus are flat out impressive for the price. I can't comment on their attempts at a performance car (Genesis Coupe) because I've never driven one, but you can't claim that Hyundai makes only cheap cars. They might not have that incredible driving feel of a BMW, but for the price they are certainly better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
sometimes i'm into it and my one hand gets tired, i try switching, but then it's like someone with lou gehrig's trying to peel a carrot.
Tate325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #89
biggs325

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Latest motor trend ranks.hyundais ceo at #2 in power rankings. Closest person that has anything to do with BMW is #10........

Sent from my MB860 using Bimmer
Old 01-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #90
VROOMCP

My Ride: 2000 M Coupe
the guy on the right doesn't get laid.
VROOMCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #91
Lair
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 330ciC
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggs325 View Post
Latest motor trend ranks.hyundais ceo at #2 in power rankings. Closest person that has anything to do with BMW is #10........

Who reads Motor Trend?

Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:00 PM   #92
john311tran

My Ride: awd + 5 doors
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilseck21 View Post
In 2002 I bought my 1st new car it was a red elantra GT. I drove that thing till I almost had 100k, and not once did I ever have any issues ever, no lower control arm bushings, no seals, no ball joints, no sun roof leakages... nothing. I can tell you my BMW has had more issues in 2/3rds of the miles.

I kinda miss that car
this may be true. but simple things tend not to break down quite as often. do you realize how much it costs to upkeep/maintain a ferrari? some people are talking about 7-10k a YEAR!

some things are made to do things other things can't the downfall is that things may break down more often. this goes with almost every single product that is sophisticated.

my old 386 and 486 computers NEVER locked up. my new (built a few years ago) dual core with this and that locks up from time to time and the fan has died.

my old timex that is worth less than 20 bucks NEVER had a problem. my ebel that is worth over 70 times the timex has the screws come loose weekly.

john
john311tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:25 AM   #93
e4603

My Ride: #3 bus
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkripon View Post
a real car fanatics wouldn't care much because when **** breaks they fix it themselves...
Fanatics or not, when **** breaks frequently it's just bad quality. I'd rather do more driving and less fixing.
Besides, in Le Mans Audi proved many times reliability is a key to winning.
e4603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:33 AM   #94
e4603

My Ride: #3 bus
Quote:
Originally Posted by john311tran View Post
but simple things tend not to break down quite as often.
Absolutely true. I wish all my cars have dipsticks instead of obsoleted navi systems...
e4603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:10 AM   #95
trizzuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilseck21 View Post

I kinda miss that car
Honestly, I am proud of you, and that's great. Then you should go right out now and find a nice used elantra GT and drive it till it dies. Honestly, you love it so much, why are you even driving a BMW if you can't simply understand that you most likely drive it MUCH harder than the elantra without even knowing, and expect the suspension components that were set up specifically to allow you to drive it much harder without even knowing to last a lifetime. Again, you're just comparing apples to grapefruits here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggs325 View Post

So because he's very successful in producing a CHEAP product that millions of people want to buy? Because he's filthy rich off of his ideas now? Or is it because he produces a highly respected quality automobile that was meant to be driven hard? Hmm. I think it's because he produces a cheap product, but that's just obvious. It's like saying "Look, the CEO of McDonalds just came in a #2 on the Forbes 500 richest people list! While the closest person that has anything to do with 5 guys burgers came in #10..." Unfortunately, Power = Money, not necessarily quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john311tran View Post
this may be true. but simple things tend not to break down quite as often. do you realize how much it costs to upkeep/maintain a ferrari? some people are talking about 7-10k a YEAR!

some things are made to do things other things can't the downfall is that things may break down more often. this goes with almost every single product that is sophisticated.

my old 386 and 486 computers NEVER locked up. my new (built a few years ago) dual core with this and that locks up from time to time and the fan has died.

my old timex that is worth less than 20 bucks NEVER had a problem. my ebel that is worth over 70 times the timex has the screws come loose weekly.

john
John completely understands the purpose of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e4603 View Post
Fanatics or not, when **** breaks frequently it's just bad quality. I'd rather do more driving and less fixing.
Besides, in Le Mans Audi proved many times reliability is a key to winning.
I agree, but perhaps if your BMW had a suspension setup like a Hyundai, it wouldn't feel like a BMW at all. Sure, it would break less, and need less fixing,
but I guarantee you corners would NEVER feel the same.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:42 AM   #96
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
Honestly, I am proud of you, and that's great. Then you should go right out now and find a nice used elantra GT and drive it till it dies. Honestly, you love it so much, why are you even driving a BMW if you can't simply understand that you most likely drive it MUCH harder than the elantra without even knowing, and expect the suspension components that were set up specifically to allow you to drive it much harder without even knowing to last a lifetime. Again, you're just comparing apples to grapefruits here.

So because he's very successful in producing a CHEAP product that millions of people want to buy? Because he's filthy rich off of his ideas now? Or is it because he produces a highly respected quality automobile that was meant to be driven hard? Hmm. I think it's because he produces a cheap product, but that's just obvious. It's like saying "Look, the CEO of McDonalds just came in a #2 on the Forbes 500 richest people list! While the closest person that has anything to do with 5 guys burgers came in #10..." Unfortunately, Power = Money, not necessarily quality.

John completely understands the purpose of this thread.

I agree, but perhaps if your BMW had a suspension setup like a Hyundai, it wouldn't feel like a BMW at all. Sure, it would break less, and need less fixing,
but I guarantee you corners would NEVER feel the same.
I'm sorry, but you sound like an idiot. A car company goes from selling $8000 econoboxes to $60,000 luxury sedans competing with S classes is "cheap cars?"

WTF is wrong with you? Do you have the slightest clue in regards to the actual production of an automobile?

BTW, my $30,000 S2000 will ***** slap any BMW "around corners".....so what? You getting an s2000 now? Why not? BTW, a Genesis coupe will *****slap a regular 3 series around corners as well....

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 01-04-2012 at 08:44 AM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:52 AM   #97
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
Well said

I saw a documentary on TV about Hyundai and your right, what people don't realize is that they own their own shipping company. They ship their own cars for free. Which in return reduces cost on the buyer.

Unlike other car manufactures who have to use a third party to ship their vehicles.

Plus they also make TVs and electronics. Im willing to bet they are worth more then BMW.

Just for sh*t and giggles....they made 3.6 trillion in sales last year JUST with their shipping company. Ballingggggg

*source?*
http://www.hyundaicorp.com/eng/company/current.asp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
I have, and you obviously haven't. Yes, this is a BMW "fansite" but for me (since I no longer own a BMW,) this is a CAR fansite. I like all cars, and hate cars from all manufacturers, regardless of the name.

Why don't you read up on Hyundai as a company. They could buy BMW, and turn the brand into golf carts. Automobiles is not even 50% of their production. Ships, cranes, heavy industry is their bread and butter.

Other than the M series cars, BMW has been consistently slipping. Between Audi, and all the Japanese/Korean manufacturers taking a bite out of their "ultimate driving machine" pie, they are losing marketshare. Their dollar value is at an all time low. A Genesis coupe if a better car than a 328 in every aspect you can measure. Yes, it's not a BMW, but that's it. BMWs are for the most part, are nothing more today than boulevard cruisers. 3/5/7 series are now driven mostly by "regular folk" that wouldn't know performance if it slapped them in the face. This partly explains BMW using electric steering systems in their new 5 series. If you read the automotive rags, they all cry about it, but the PUBLIC doesn't care. BMW still charges for HID lamps and ipod cables. Consumers today want more, for less. This is why Hyundai is torching everyone. Go sit in the new Equus, and compare it to a 5 series. Sure it's not a 5 series competitor, but a 7 series competitor, but the price is equal to a 5 series. Those thinking of a 5 series can get way MORE with an Equus, for the same amount of money. The Tau V8 has been critically acclaimed as a great motor. Give them another 3 years, and their cars will surpass the Germans in build and material.
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #98
trizzuth

Quote:
I'm sorry, but you sound like an idiot. A car company goes from selling $8000 econoboxes to $60,000 luxury sedans competing with S classes is "cheap cars?"

WTF is wrong with you? Do you have the slightest clue in regards to the actual production of an automobile?
And here you go again. You know who sounds like an idiot? Someone that drives a Honda, coming onto a BMW website, praising Hyundai over BMW.

Listen up, I've personally been inside and behind the dash of a 2006 Hyundai Azera to help a friend install a new stereo (over his POS OEM stereo that doesn't hold a candle to my old skool cassette deck 2001 BMW professional stereo that still works perfectly and puts out glorious sound). To this day, I wish I had taken pictures of what I saw. The entire surround and supporting pieces that basically protect the driver and passenger from the engine coming into the cabin and killing you are made of plastic, cheap plastic at that. The only metal in there is a tiny 1.5" tube going across the length of the dash that had shoddy welds. Seeing that alone made me scared and never want to be in one on the road, ever. And this was their "high end luxury competitor" at that time. I've driven a 2008 Genesis coupe as mentioned before, and was unimpressed by the interior and v6 engine specifically. The styling was OK, but that's not all a car should be in my opinion. I've been in a brand new elantra while my buddy's 335i is getting fixed from an accident, and I can tell you that the elantra's interior quality far surpassed the genesis's, but was still exactly what you'd expect from a cheap ass car. Cheap.

If I sound like an idiot to you when I'm speaking from my own personal experiences in seeing what's truly inside and behind a Hyundai's clothes, then so be it. I'm happy people like you think I am an idiot. I'm not happy that I've spent so much time explaining my reality-based opinions on Hyundais to you.

Go drive your S2000, go join a Honda forum that pales in comparison to this forum, and speak your mind there, where it is appreciated, and makes sense. This is not "S2000fanatics.com" not even "Hondafanatics.com" or "Ilovefartcannons.com" it's an E46 Fanatic site. We all come here because we love BMWs, or just love reading the OT forum, so you're probably here just because you love the OT forum and love to share your thoughts on anything non-BMW. Which just leaves me

Then I go outside and get into my BMW and when something doesn't work, I may complain a little, but then I just fix it, and the continues.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #99
trizzuth

Quote:

BTW, my $30,000 S2000 will ***** slap any BMW "around corners".....so what? You getting an s2000 now? Why not? BTW, a Genesis coupe will *****slap a regular 3 series around corners as well....
Nice ninja edit. So your $30K honda will "slap any bmw" around corners.

I'll take that bet, and you can put your rice burner up instead of cash, so when I watch "any bmw" rock your piece around corners, I can win that tin can and sell it to some other tin can lover just so I can buy more 10 year old BMWs, YAY!
Old 01-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #100
330I6SPD

My Ride: 2005 330I 6Spd.
Come on guys, the ad says that the Hundai owner has the advantage of front wheel drive. You know, 70/30 F/R weight dist, torque steer, horrible understeer when pushed hard around turns, chronic inside wheel spin while driving hard out of a corner in the rain, numb steering feel, drop throttle snap oversteer, retarded front tire wear, limited front seat legroom, the ADVANTAGES are seemingly ENDLESS!!
330I6SPD is offline   Reply With Quote