E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 51 votes, 4.92 average.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:22 AM   #2021
Rajaie

My Ride: 528i 06/00
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbimmer View Post
just pulled my vanos off and did the seals. very easy and straight forward.
the old seals were hardened and shrunk leaving big gaps for the pistons to leak.
Thanks for the feedback!
Rajaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:07 AM   #2022
blarf

My Ride: '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajaie View Post
The pre-cat O2 sensors are not used on cold weather cold start. The O2 sensors donít function when cold and are thus not utilized by the DME.
Not quite true. Anything other than a one wire oxygen sensor has a heating element. All four sensors on an E46 are heated, and located real close to the exhaust manifold, meaning they'll come up to temp wicked quick (and a failed heating element will set the MIL). Yeah it won't be instant, but they should come up to temp before the cold start enrichment is finished.
blarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:57 AM   #2023
mrbudman13

My Ride: 2004 325i
For how long are these new seals good for once they are installed? After how many miles do they have to be replaced again?
mrbudman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:59 AM   #2024
Rajaie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbudman13 View Post
For how long are these new seals good for once they are installed? After how many miles do they have to be replaced again?
It seems they will last the life of the car.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:02 AM   #2025
mrbudman13

Wow thanks for fast reply I have them in now and I can tell big difference just thought they might need to be changed again after so many miles thanks.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #2026
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
Okay... I have a 2002 325xi with almost 78k miles. The car runs great (seems to me)... My wife has had it since new but I recently started driving it full time after she bought a new Audi... (I know) Anyway... After doing a ton of reading here I realize that all I really need is this forum. I have been coming here for years for info on the CPS, window regulators, ballast resisitor, etc... Thanks everyone! It seems that every time something happened... I would read something like, "Yeah.. Those go out all the time!" or I would read a prophesy that would eventually come true... I'm not going to wait for the rest to come true so I want to take action on some stuff. The VANOS seals are a top item.

I need to change the valve cover gasket anyway as I have a very slight leak dropping down on the exhaust. I smell it when it hits every few days... So I figured that I would tune it up at the same time.. Clean the ICV, MAF, put in new spark plugs, etc. Then I read about the VANOS seals... Like I said... It seems to run fine... A slight vibration when in drive and stopped at a stop light but the car will plain shi!t and git. But I figured that I would go ahead and do the VANOS seals, water pump, fan clutch and new fan while I was doing the VANOS... Then I started reading about the "VANOS rattle." While I do not seem to have it at this time I was wondering if it is a suggested fix before it becomes an issue. Does it always become an issue or is it caused by neglect of VANOS seal replacement? I know the VANOS is bad after 20k miles or so... But do all the cars eventually have the VANOS rattle too?

Sorry if this has been discussed here but I have been reading this site for hours per day for the the past few weeks to find out the pro/cons, strengths/weaknesses, and didn't read through the entire 102 pages here. My eyes are already bleeding! I figured that I would go straight to the top and just ask.

Rajaie... Any words of wisdom?

Thanks!

Rick
Old 12-15-2011, 10:24 PM   #2027
Rajaie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick View Post
Okay... I have a 2002 325xi with almost 78k miles. The car runs great (seems to me)... My wife has had it since new but I recently started driving it full time after she bought a new Audi... (I know) Anyway... After doing a ton of reading here I realize that all I really need is this forum. I have been coming here for years for info on the CPS, window regulators, ballast resisitor, etc... Thanks everyone! It seems that every time something happened... I would read something like, "Yeah.. Those go out all the time!" or I would read a prophesy that would eventually come true... I'm not going to wait for the rest to come true so I want to take action on some stuff. The VANOS seals are a top item.

I need to change the valve cover gasket anyway as I have a very slight leak dropping down on the exhaust. I smell it when it hits every few days... So I figured that I would tune it up at the same time.. Clean the ICV, MAF, put in new spark plugs, etc. Then I read about the VANOS seals... Like I said... It seems to run fine... A slight vibration when in drive and stopped at a stop light but the car will plain shi!t and git. But I figured that I would go ahead and do the VANOS seals, water pump, fan clutch and new fan while I was doing the VANOS... Then I started reading about the "VANOS rattle." While I do not seem to have it at this time I was wondering if it is a suggested fix before it becomes an issue. Does it always become an issue or is it caused by neglect of VANOS seal replacement? I know the VANOS is bad after 20k miles or so... But do all the cars eventually have the VANOS rattle too?

Sorry if this has been discussed here but I have been reading this site for hours per day for the the past few weeks to find out the pro/cons, strengths/weaknesses, and didn't read through the entire 102 pages here. My eyes are already bleeding! I figured that I would go straight to the top and just ask.

Rajaie... Any words of wisdom?

Thanks!

Rick
All the vanos units have loose piston bearings and thus can rattle. The bearings are loose from when the vanos was manufactured.
The camshaft engages and moves back and forth the loose bearing parts.
These movements can resonate and when that happens there is a rattle.
It turns out that certain engines/models are susceptible to having the vanos rattle while others don't seem to get it.
On the E46 the 320, 323, and 330 are susceptible to it.
The 325 does not usually get the rattle, but I must also say I have chatted with multiple owners and mechanics that had it and the rattle kit resolved it.

You can install it now and not have to worry about it in the future, or you can skip it and go back in if you develop a rattle in the future.
Both are reasonable decisions.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:53 AM   #2028
Mc 007

My Ride: 325ci Performance
Rajaie my 325 goes very better with your o-rings,other boys from italian bmw forum can orther them

now i can use bmw super power oil 5w40
Old 12-16-2011, 10:33 AM   #2029

My Ride: 325i
Is there a definet way to test the vanos seals before I just replace them?
12323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:52 AM   #2030
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12323 View Post
Is there a definet way to test the vanos seals before I just replace them?
how old is your car. if its over 100k, its definitely old.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:57 AM   #2031
Mc 007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbimmer View Post
how old is your car. if its over 100k, its definitely old.
100% true
Old 12-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #2032
mrbudman13

OK my car is a 2004 325i I already did seals. The thing that scares me about the rattle kit is in the guide it looks like you have to sand on something to make it fit or adjust why does the rattle kit not just go in? Plus you have to start buying all kinds of tools impact drill, big socket, and grips for your vice is it really that critical to do the rattle kit. It kinda sucks that do do these upgrades if you dont have the tools on hand you find yourself out buying things that you might only use once oh well guess I'm gonna order the damn rattle kit now if it is recommended.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:29 PM   #2033
Rajaie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbudman13 View Post
OK my car is a 2004 325i I already did seals. The thing that scares me about the rattle kit is in the guide it looks like you have to sand on something to make it fit or adjust why does the rattle kit not just go in? Plus you have to start buying all kinds of tools impact drill, big socket, and grips for your vice is it really that critical to do the rattle kit. It kinda sucks that do do these upgrades if you dont have the tools on hand you find yourself out buying things that you might only use once oh well guess I'm gonna order the damn rattle kit now if it is recommended.
If you don't have a vanos rattle then don't be concerned about needing to perform the repair.
The E46 325i does not usually get the vanos rattle.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:34 PM   #2034
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajaie View Post
If you don't have a vanos rattle then don't be concerned about needing to perform the repair.
The E46 325i does not usually get the vanos rattle.
the dual vanos are less likely to produce a rattle.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:59 PM   #2035
Mr_325

My Ride: 2007 X5 3.0Si
just did VCG's and spark plugs, i'm at 129k km now and almost have the courage to do the vanos seals but i don't think i'm noticing any issues yet to replace them.
out of precaution should i do them anyways because of my km's?
Mr_325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:12 PM   #2036
Rubenk

My Ride: M35A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_325 View Post
just did VCG's and spark plugs, i'm at 129k km now and almost have the courage to do the vanos seals but i don't think i'm noticing any issues yet to replace them.
You will have to do it anyways eventually. If you do it now, while your VCG is fresh, then you will not need to replace the VCG.

If you wait longer then the VCG will turn brittle and need to be replaced during the VANOS job...
Rubenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:44 PM   #2037
Mc 007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_325 View Post
replace vanos seals,you can feel your motor younger
Old 01-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #2038
new//M3fan

My Ride: 77' 924 87' E30
I'm curios to know how many people regularly replace the S54 solenoid gasket, and service the solenoid filter piece with a new filter and o-rings and how many people have had any sort of VANOS related failures while still performing the above maintenance.

I know my VANOS made a RACKET when my solenoid gasket was leaky, also the black o-ring on the VANOS pressure limiting valve on my car was severely squared off.

There is also a regulating valve attached to the head

Part number 1. with replaceable o-rings. I didn't replace the o-rings when I installed my CAM bolts, I may take the VANOS off just to replace the o-rings above for peace of mind during my next valve adjustment.

I wish besiansystems would release a comprehensive viton o-ring replacement kit for the S54 VANOS; I would buy the kit immediately.

Maybe the inconsistant oil pressure in the VANOS system due to leaks is the root cause of VANOS issues?

Rajae,

Any insight?

Last edited by new//M3fan; 01-05-2012 at 10:38 AM.
new//M3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #2039
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
I bought a big Viton O-ring package with all sorts of sizes... Why couldn't I just use those? (Just curious.)
Old 01-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #2040
new//M3fan

My Ride: 77' 924 87' E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick View Post
I bought a big Viton O-ring package with all sorts of sizes... Why couldn't I just use those? (Just curious.)
Do you have any

16X2MM
10,0X2,0MM

?

You could if you have those sizes. however, i'd just like to buy a kit from besiansystems. Don't want to deal with vendors and getting everything together at the moment.

rajae,

Are these o-rings part of the VANOS pressure regulator?

Last edited by new//M3fan; 01-05-2012 at 02:33 PM.
new//M3fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vanos