E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #101
xixixi
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 3,008
My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
I would think an open air filter element that's close to the ground could potentially suck in water?
So you are concerned you are going to go through several feet of standing water and fill your cylinders with water? Do you think this guy will need a cover made to cover up his ram air in the rain???

Last edited by xixixi; 01-08-2012 at 07:00 PM.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #102
MarcusLSB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 4,367
My Ride: X5, CT200h, CLK63 BS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
So you are concerned you are going to go through several feet of standing water and fill your cylinders with water?
Sounds like you're asking me questions that you already know the answer to? So why are you even asking?

Edit: i'm not concerned with the filter getting a tad damp, or being exposed to 'rain'.. but I would be concerned with hitting a deep puddle while driving and having it douse it in water.

Last edited by MarcusLSB; 01-08-2012 at 07:02 PM.
MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #103
330i ZHP
Registered User
 
330i ZHP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 21,806
My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
wow, nice looking work - interested in seeing results
__________________
/_________\
OO=[][]=OO
330i ZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #104
AAblown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: tampa, fl
Posts: 796
My Ride: e46 m3, e36 m3, H2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
I would think an open air filter element that's close to the ground could potentially suck in water?
i would think the stock underpanel would be right below where a bottom mounted open air filter would sit. It wouldnt have any effect from water but sitting lower in the engine bay will result in more heat soak unless it had a complete enclosure and an opening coming out the bumper. So unless your running into a 2ft wall of water youll be ok. I personally saw your setup, it looks pretty effecient
__________________
AAblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #105
xixixi
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 3,008
My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAblown View Post
i would think the stock underpanel would be right below where a bottom mounted open air filter would sit. It wouldnt have any effect from water but sitting lower in the engine bay will result in more heat soak unless it had a complete enclosure and an opening coming out the bumper. So unless your running into a 2ft wall of water youll be ok. I personally saw your setup, it looks pretty effecient
Those low to the ground intake people better watch out for walls of water... those things come out of no where!
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #106
MarcusLSB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 4,367
My Ride: X5, CT200h, CLK63 BS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
Those low to the ground intake people better watch out for walls of water... those things come out of no where!
Thanks xixixi, you've been a tremendous asset to our intake issue, the community cannot thank you enough for your valuable input. Could you show me an example of a few E46's (330/323/etc) running a low intake. The only one I know of is the HPF shop car. Would love to see some more examples.
MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #107
xixixi
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 3,008
My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
Thanks xixixi, you've been a tremendous asset to our intake issue, the community cannot thank you enough for your valuable input. Could you show me an example of a few E46's (330/323/etc) running a low intake. The only one I know of is the HPF shop car. Would love to see some more examples.
I will show you a picture of my intake setup. Then do some research starting with TT non m kits. This pic as shitty as it is, shows my intake 4 inches from the ground. (over 110k miles with this setup) I will continue my quest to help those short on the brain cells and long in the pocket. The metallic stripe is from the filter to my intake sitting behind those openings in my bumper. I have no sock. no under shields, not even fender linings. I refuse to OT this thread anymore, mad respect for the shop/people doing the work. Also to the man allowing them to do the work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20110924-00001.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	431663  

Last edited by xixixi; 01-08-2012 at 09:14 PM.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #108
MSpired
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 4,060
My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 e46 M3
Send a message via AIM to MSpired Send a message via MSN to MSpired Send a message via Yahoo to MSpired
Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
I will show you a picture of my intake setup. Then do some research starting with TT non m kits. This pic as shitty as it is, shows my intake 4 inches from the ground. (over 110k miles with this setup) I will continue my quest to help those short on the brain cells and long in the pocket. The metallic stripe is from the filter to my intake sitting behind those openings in my bumper. I have no sock. no under shields, not even fender linings. I refuse to OT this thread anymore, mad respect for the shop/people doing the work. Also to the man allowing them to do the work.
I can't see anything in the pic. Too little brain cells to turn on a light for the pic I suppose...
__________________
MSpired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:34 PM   #109
xixixi
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 3,008
My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Was an old pic, here is one that is 1 minute old. Enjoy and post pics of your new WB!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dardenne-20120108-00118.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	431675  
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #110
MarcusLSB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 4,367
My Ride: X5, CT200h, CLK63 BS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
Was an old pic, here is one that is 1 minute old. Enjoy and post pics of your new WB!
I'd rather not OT the thread as well.. maybe a new thread is more deserving. I know Taza runs his intake real low on the passenger side. I'm looking for more internal pics, routing, etc.. how did you route it down there, how did you avoid heat soak, etc.

There are a million cars with CAI's where a fog is deleted, and its setup there. My concern was more or less if it was just simply pointed down picking up its air from UNDER the car, thought that would be prone to picking up water. I'm not concerned about hydrolocking the car.. I'm simply being overly cautious.
MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:17 AM   #111
Ravij
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Seattle Wa
Posts: 688
My Ride: 3.5 IR vert M3
A spare headlight i was messing with..
__________________
Ravij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:06 AM   #112
MSportBMW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 628
My Ride: E46, EVO8
Looks quality!
__________________
MSportBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #113
basar13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Turkey
Posts: 481
My Ride: Z4M, R8, 525xd, STI
Those look amazing, truly a unique car...

Is the pro-efi harness complete ? Is it ready to run ?

What clutch will you use ? Do you know what are our options ?


Thanks !
__________________
basar13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #114
A4RingedONE8T
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 236
My Ride: Turbo ///M Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by basar13 View Post
Those look amazing, truly a unique car...

Is the pro-efi harness complete ? Is it ready to run ?

What clutch will you use ? Do you know what are our options ?
We have not received the ProEFI yet, Trevor ordered pretty much every option they offer so it's taking a little longer than the few that have already gone out for the Z4M. Clutch and flywheel were custom built by Southbend

Today's work!

Heat shield/catch for the "ram air"









Not sure who thought it was a good idea to use only the oil dipstick as a support for this intake manifold, so here's what I came up with as a better solution. Also serves as a holder for the dipstick and fuel pressure regulator









__________________
A4RingedONE8T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #115
dreamdrivedrift
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ithaca, NY --> Baltimore, MD
Posts: 6,469
My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
^ nice work, i'm pretty sure other HPF owners would be interested in that intake manifold bracket as I seem to remember issues about the intake manifold couplers leaking. perhaps this could be due to a lack of intake manifold support?
__________________
Chris
dreamdrivedrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #116
MarcusLSB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 4,367
My Ride: X5, CT200h, CLK63 BS
Quote:
Originally Posted by A4RingedONE8T View Post
MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #117
02black330ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ^^ E46FANATICS ^^
Posts: 1,814
My Ride: spaceship
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdrivedrift View Post
^ nice work, i'm pretty sure other HPF owners would be interested in that intake manifold bracket
+ 1, make more of these!!! Put me on the list for one!
__________________






02black330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #118
AAblown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: tampa, fl
Posts: 796
My Ride: e46 m3, e36 m3, H2
Quote:
Originally Posted by A4RingedONE8T View Post
We have not received the ProEFI yet, Trevor ordered pretty much every option they offer so it's taking a little longer than the few that have already gone out for the Z4M. Clutch and flywheel were custom built by Southbend

Today's work!

Heat shield/catch for the "ram air"









Not sure who thought it was a good idea to use only the oil dipstick as a support for this intake manifold, so here's what I came up with as a better solution. Also serves as a holder for the dipstick and fuel pressure regulator









do i get credit for the heat shield idea? or were you just reading my mind?
__________________
AAblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #119
A4RingedONE8T
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 236
My Ride: Turbo ///M Roadster
Marcus, PM me your home/business addy wherever you receive packages, got something for you to try out

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAblown View Post
do i get credit for the heat shield idea? or were you just reading my mind?
Heat shield was planned before I even thought of the scoop in the grill
__________________
A4RingedONE8T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #120
AAblown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: tampa, fl
Posts: 796
My Ride: e46 m3, e36 m3, H2
Quote:
Originally Posted by A4RingedONE8T View Post
Marcus, PM me your home/business addy wherever you receive packages, got something for you to try out



Heat shield was planned before I even thought of the scoop in the grill
DOH
__________________
AAblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use