E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 155 votes, 4.90 average.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #61
LD330XI

My Ride: '05 330xi
I just ordered the one from ebay. I should have it sometime next week. Now I just need to get my old laptop up and running. I figure if I can code my car once it already paid for itself. If by the time I get it no one has reported back, I will. thank you ac_2007 for the link.
LD330XI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #62
ccagle

My Ride: 02' 325i
I'm trying mine in about an hour with Windows 7 and the drivers from the link above.. I'll let everyone know how it goes... "fingers crossed"
ccagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #63
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
^ Remember to disable all network hardware while installing. Otherwise you'll have a nightmare like Pedi.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #64
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
^ Remember to disable all network hardware while installing. Otherwise you'll have a nightmare like Pedi.
This is just during the installation, correct? Once installed you can have the wifi on can't you?
Old 01-08-2012, 03:05 PM   #65
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccagle View Post
I assume they make coats in your area!! Put one on and get out there!!
yah they do and went to parking lot at night. Ppl must have thought I'm stealing my own car but couldn't get it to work with windows 7 64 bit
I know there is a way to do it, I had installed the FTDI drivers from the same website for generic OBD cable before by making some changes in PId and all but just got impatient and loaded another virtual machine with xp in mac.

Works.
Disabled DRLs and read some codes.
Will do more research see what I can do with it.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #66
ccagle

Got mine to work with windows vista and 7.... That's the good news!!!! Now I have no clue how to program what I need!! LMAO.... Instructions would be nice...
Old 01-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #67
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick View Post
This is just during the installation, correct? Once installed you can have the wifi on can't you?
Yes.

Quote:
Got mine to work with windows vista and 7.... That's the good news!!!! Now I have no clue how to program what I need!! LMAO.... Instructions would be nice...
Go into each module and look for "Coding" or "Programming Data".
If you post up what you're trying to do, there's probably one of my screenshots up already.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #68
ccagle

Thanks!! Trying to "enable" lights to flash upon locking at the moment
Old 01-08-2012, 04:06 PM   #69
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
It gives you the option of lights, headlights and high beams I think...
Old 01-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #70
ccagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick View Post
It gives you the option of lights, headlights and high beams I think...
I got it. Thanks again. After an hour of messing with it, I also killed my battery!!! Didn't expect that though. So just a word of caution, careful on the timeframe while coding!! Haha
Old 01-09-2012, 01:32 AM   #71
trj

Quote:
windows 7 64 bit? what drivers did you use? or what changed did you make if you had to in the driver installations process.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:42 AM   #72
ccagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
Here is the link:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1622061

It will give you step by step instructions on what to do. I am still waiting for my cable to arrive
I'll give credit to TRJ for posting the above link... Follow the instructions from post #7 in the link above to a tee! VERY IMPORTANT TO DISABLE YOUR WIRELESS OR NETWORK CONNECTION. It did not work until I did.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #73
trj

Quote:
I'll give credit to TRJ for posting the above link... Follow the instructions from post #7 in the link above to a tee! VERY IMPORTANT TO DISABLE YOUR WIRELESS OR NETWORK CONNECTION. It did not work until I did.
I gave you the link and I was not able to install it myself lol. May be because I was on Virtual machine on mac.
But I got it to work in XP.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #74
ccagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
I gave you the link and I was not able to install it myself lol. May be because I was on Virtual machine on mac.
But I got it to work in XP.
Too funny!! Well it worked for me on my Vista and 7 laptops so I can use either!! Thanks again!!
Old 01-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #75
trj

Quote:
Too funny!! Well it worked for me on my Vista and 7 laptops so I can use either!! Thanks again!!
64 bit?
May be I am running on virtual machine on mac that is the reason.
I got it to work once before with the generic OBD II, will need to dig deep and make some changes on Pid and all. If I get it done I will post it so everyone else can use the steps.

For now I am using it on XP
Old 01-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #76
snobitall_ron

My Ride: 1999 323i (e46)
scanner 1.4 from xcar360 not working

i tried to install it but dont know how to start. im using xp and I tried to connect the device through usb but it couldnt find any hardware. is there any step by step to install?
snobitall_ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #77
Bostonbeast

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by snobitall_ron View Post
i tried to install it but dont know how to start. im using xp and I tried to connect the device through usb but it couldnt find any hardware. is there any step by step to install?
The hardware gets its power from the car not the computer so make sure everything is connected and your key is at least in position 1. Follow the pdf provided on the CD.

Last edited by Bostonbeast; 01-09-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Bostonbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:55 AM   #78
snobitall_ron

I tried to plug the scanner through usb but no detection, no found new hardware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonbeast View Post
The hardware gets its power from the car not the computer so make sure everything is connected and your key is at least in position 1. Follow the pdf provided on the CD.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:17 AM   #79
Bostonbeast

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by snobitall_ron View Post
I tried to plug the scanner through usb but no detection, no found new hardware.
What obd port are you using? Your car, like mine, requires that we use the round 20 pin port under the hood. So you need an adapter. But I don't think using the wrong port would cause it to say no hardware found. Just follow the PDF on installation instructions exactly the way it says on the cd provided. So I'm assuming you have installed the necessary drivers right? And the network and wireless connection is disabled?

Ebay link for 20 pin adapter:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280745678014...84.m1439.l2649
Bostonbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:37 AM   #80
snobitall_ron

I havent install anything yet. it says on the manual connect the scanner to usb port on the laptop it the new hardware wizard will pop out. but on my case nothing coming out.im still on part of installing the scanner on my aptop. i have windows xp no interenet connection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonbeast View Post
What obd port are you using? Your car, like mine, requires that we use the round 20 pin port under the hood. So you need an adapter. But I don't think using the wrong port would cause it to say no hardware found. Just follow the PDF on installation instructions exactly the way it says on the cd provided. So I'm assuming you have installed the necessary drivers right? And the network and wireless connection is disabled?

Ebay link for 20 pin adapter:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280745678014...84.m1439.l2649

Tags
bmw scanner, diagnostic tool, error message, pa soft