E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.33 average.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:55 AM   #2481
crristic

My Ride: e46 320i
I would advise trying with a regular hdd formatted as fat32 before buying a ssd one... Ssd storage is still pretty pricey these days. I did try with a ntfs one on the radio side, got powered and was looked like it was trying to load but didn't, so my guess it that a fat32 one should work
crristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:19 AM   #2482
elfer

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Thanks crristic!

Actually, I'm already making the move to a SSD on my WinCE unit. The conventional HDD worked fine but there is a slight delay after the Dynavin starts up before my WinCE media player (Nitrogen) can see the disc. It's about 30 seconds or a minute. Doesn't sound much but it's a pain when I'm sitting on the drive waiting to select an album before moving off. I'm hoping that delay will reduce with the SSD. The cost is comparable with large SD cards and USB pen drives at one British pound per GB.

I'm quite pleased with my new-found hard disc solution under WinCE, but I also really want the connectivity and Google traffic apps that you guys enjoy on Android! I'm worried that I'll lose this HDD ability if I do upgrade though...
elfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #2483
mcondruz

My Ride: BMW E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgutierr View Post
I tried FAT and FAT32. I also tried formatting on my thunderbolt. I've tried deleting the partition, re-formatting with Fat16, no luck.

I knew formatting was important for flashing, but I thought it wasn't related to the Android OS.
I have the same issue.. How did it solved in the end?
If you manage to solve it somehow please tell me because this is really killing me.

Thank you in advance.
mcondruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #2484
AJGetz

My Ride: United States
Anyone on here try SyncSMS?

I have been trying to use my unit to text through my phone and this is the first program I downloaded that actually did it. Just throwing it out there if anyone was looking for the same thing.
AJGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #2485
sahiilseth

My Ride: BMW 325i
So I just installed a D99 Android on my e46. Looks and works great. this was shipped on Dec 28th, so I wonder if it has this firmware update already? http://www.dynavin.com/android.php 2011-12-09.
2. I mistakenly formatted the SD card, as it had become corrupt while removing it etc. dynavin's website suggests never to format it, but does not tell us how to fix it, if one did (ME!)
FAT32/FAT16?...
3. I just bought this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details, with a belief that we might be able to hack and access the bluetooth, or connect a separate bluetooth module on the "NAV/android" usb port in the back. Being able to run torque on this unit would be absolutely amazing.
Update: I read this post and thought using a software hacking accessing the bluetooth was possible. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...postcount=2434. Was wrong, its not!
What if I attach a usb splitter and attach the wifi and a bluetooth dongle to it. Will this work with torque then?? Any ideas?

The volume from the radio was very low, so I set up the AMP (in settings) to none (it was common-for HK systems), and boom dyanavin's internal amp is loud!
Used pandora Copilot and netflix... this thing is much fun!

Last edited by sahiilseth; 01-09-2012 at 03:46 PM.
sahiilseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #2486
MaximumWalrus

My Ride: E39 530i
How do you find the performance with Copilot? Does it handle it well? Which version did you go for?
MaximumWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #2487
winter_baby

My Ride: e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahiilseth View Post
...What if I attach a usb splitter and attach the wifi and a bluetooth dongle to it. Will this work with torque then??...
I tried this method as well (D95) but I was only able to get the bt dongle to b recognized and pair. But I couldn't get it to actually establish connection with other devices. Id also like to find out if anyone suceeded it... if so, which specific dongle...

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Bimmer

2003 330i Titanium Silver / Black - [Sold]
2000 Z3 M Titanium Silver / Imola Red+Black Nappa
2001 330cic Metallic Steel Gray / Gray - [Sold]
2000 Z3 2.8 Topaz Blue Metallic / Beige - [Sold]
1997 Z3 1.8 Atlanta Blue Metallic / Beige - [Sold]

winter_baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #2488
sahiilseth

My Ride: BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumWalrus View Post
How do you find the performance with Copilot? Does it handle it well? Which version did you go for?
copilot works well. I downloaded the premium version; and even now I am not sure what does this have extra than the standard version. If you want to give them a try I would say download both from android market, and return the one, you dont like within 15 minutes; market is great !

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter_baby View Post
I tried this method as well (D95) but I was only able to get the bt dongle to b recognized and pair. But I couldn't get it to actually establish connection with other devices. Id also like to find out if anyone suceeded it... if so, which specific dongle...
This is interesting, did u use a splitter? I was thinking opening up this thing again and attaching a usb splitter on the back... Then I could try out a bluetooth dongle or two, while using the wifi.

btw which one did not work (link)? And what error message did u get while connecting devices ? Not found, or could not pair?
sahiilseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:58 AM   #2489
MaximumWalrus

Quote:
copilot works well. I downloaded the premium version; and even now I am not sure what does this have extra than the standard version. If you want to give them a try I would say download both from android market, and return the one, you dont like within 15 minutes; market is great !
Wow, this is good news. Premium is the new version of CoPilot, replacing Copilot Live 8. Some people have said Copilot can be a bit sluggish on the Dynavin on account of its low end CPU so I was thinking the old version might be a safer bet but from what you say I'm worrying without reason.

So everything is nice and smooth and not frustratingly slow? Does the map update quickly as you move along?
Old 01-10-2012, 02:47 AM   #2490
winter_baby

Quote:
...did u use a splitter? I was thinking opening up this thing again and attaching a usb splitter on the back... Then I could try out a bluetooth dongle or two, while using the wifi.

btw which one did not work (link)? And what error message did u get while connecting devices ? Not found, or could not pair?
Yes, I use a splitter. I had a BT dongle connected to it once. I'm only running wireless "n" usb adapter to it now.

As I recall, the unit recognized the BT dongle and was able to find other BT devices. But when I tried paring, it kept cycling through pairing progress; then, disconnected.

I figured it was the BT dongle. But don't quote me on that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumWalrus View Post
...Some people have said Copilot can be a bit sluggish on the Dynavin on account of its low end CPU so I was thinking the old version might be a safer bet...
I'm running copilot live (old), and I haven't experienced any noticeable lag. If you rooted anyhow, I would recommend V6 Supercharger. You would be amazed by how smoother the unit could run...

Last edited by winter_baby; 01-11-2012 at 01:46 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:09 AM   #2491
ADBMW

My Ride: 04 330i
Quote:

Yes got mine to work. Ordered cheap Hong Kong BT dongle from Ebay for like $.50 and Rocketfish 4 USB splitter for $5 and works great. Used Wi-Fi and torque together with no problems.
ADBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #2492
winter_baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADBMW View Post
Yes got mine to work. Ordered cheap Hong Kong BT dongle from Ebay for like $.50 and Rocketfish 4 USB splitter for $5 and works great. Used Wi-Fi and torque together with no problems.
Can you share more detail about the bt dongle (picture, ebay link, or name/model)? Thanks a lot!!

Old 01-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #2493
ADBMW

My Ride: 04 330i
Quote:
Can you share more detail about the bt dongle (picture, ebay link, or name/model)? Thanks a lot!!

Couldn't find exact link but looks like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nano-A2DP-ED...item335e9ebb0c
ADBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #2494
navman01

My Ride: 2004 318i E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8down View Post
Can you play Bluetooth music and view nav at the same time?
Nope tried with an iPhone 3gs. Music cuts out as soon as you hit
"navigation" (which is actually android side of things, which also has a navigation app)

Jeff any chance you can post pics of how to connect to the IBUS connection? :s having trouble with the NAV OEM e46 install for the d99 android (no steering control, no OBC display, no illumination of buttons/rings around knob when parker/headlights are on). I put my old OEM nav back in to make sure nothing was stuffed and all was working fine...
apologies if posting in the wrong area. :S
navman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:46 PM   #2495
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
read the D99 thread, I talked about the ibus issue there, page 2. post 23. There was a screw up on the early E46 D99 wire harnesses and the ibus wires are backwards. Why Im the only one who bothered to tell my customers about this is mind boggling.....

For the lighting, its #3 on my FAQ.

For the streaming/nav conflict thing, its not perfect but there is a workaround, press the mode/source button first, then select nav. Somehow it tricks/confuses the controller and the audio continues to stream from bluetooth even though the video switches to the nav/android side. But sending any number of commands will cause it to switch off, so in that case you are best off just plugging into the ipod plug.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 01-10-2012 at 09:48 PM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:51 PM   #2496
winter_baby

Thanks for sharing info.

By looking, I thnk not having a need for a driver insatll makes a difference...
anyhow its cheap enough that Ill purchase it to test it.

Thanks again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADBMW View Post
Couldn't find exact link but looks like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nano-A2DP-ED...item335e9ebb0c

Old 01-12-2012, 03:19 AM   #2497
listermint

My Ride: E46 M3 '02
Has anybody tried WIFI tethering with the Galaxy Nexus yet? If you have is your phone rooted or not ?

How did it go...
listermint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:48 AM   #2498
swany001

My Ride: 330CI E46
Hi I am pretty new at this and have just had this unit installed , Wow talk about frustration I I paid 2 guys $450 to install it for me recommended by the seller, even bought the reverse camera too. that worked once , now all i get is a blank screen , I cant seem to get the wifi to connect but then i expected to have a few problems. doing that. so i thought i would try playing a dvd . no luck there so a cd still nothing , so i moved onto the tv nope no luck there.

Really that's why i paid someone to do it for me i didn't want to stuff up the installation. Maybe if I can find a way of doing a factory reset and sart again, the trouble is if i cant i think i will be stuck with a lemon that ha cost me all up about $1500 .

PS anyone in Sydney who could help i would really appreciate it

Cheers a great Site BTW
swany001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:28 AM   #2499
Tho///a5

My Ride: 2k M5
Sounds like a poor installation
Tho///a5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #2500
MaximumWalrus

What happens if you are navigating along and you stop for a soda. Do you need to set the Nav back up and load the application again when you get back in or does it carry on where it was once you restart the engine?