E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 3.86 average. Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #41
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by lab rat View Post
Nice setup, the engine stand is well worth it. Do the rear crankshaft seal before you put it on the stand.
I admire your confidence with car electronics. I wish I was this brave
thanks for the suggestion.
is the crankshaft seal #5 on realoem (link below)?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...67&hg=11&fg=10

Do you know how hard is it to install the seal?

P.S. Stupid question but how do i secure the engine to the engine stand. I
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #42
JuicyE46

My Ride: 99 323i
I know it's a little off topic but your old engine what will you do with that one?
Old 01-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #43
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuicyE46 View Post
I know it's a little off topic but your old engine what will you do with that one?
promise not to laugh? I get attached easily (I am very sentimental)....so after the swap I am going to put the M52TU on the engine stand and put it on display either in the garage or study room.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #44
fadeaway

My Ride: 04 330Ci
Turn it into a table like on Top Gear.
fadeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #45
Hermes

My Ride: cars older than you
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway View Post
turn it into a table like on top gear.
+1000000

Respect Your Elders
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #46
Sweeney921

My Ride: 2003 330Ci ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway View Post
Turn it into a table like on Top Gear.
dammit, you beat me to this idea!

Do it.
Sweeney921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #47
lab rat

My Ride: '02 330iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
thanks for the suggestion.
is the crankshaft seal #5 on realoem (link below)?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...67&hg=11&fg=10

Do you know how hard is it to install the seal?

P.S. Stupid question but how do i secure the engine to the engine stand. I
Yeah, that's the one. Obviously while you are there you should do #2 (giggle) as well.
It's very easy DIY even with the motor in the car. You just can't do it on the engine stand.
You will need 4 long M12 bolts for the engine stand. They go where the 4 big transmission bell housing bolts normally mount.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #48
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab rat View Post
Yeah, that's the one. Obviously while you are there you should do #2 (giggle) as well.
It's very easy DIY even with the motor in the car. You just can't do it on the engine stand.
You will need 4 long M12 bolts for the engine stand. They go where the 4 big transmission bell housing bolts normally mount.
got it. i will make sure I change out #2 as well.

with regards to the mounting the engine, it makes total sense now.
i am using a lot of PEI330 pictures as reference and here is a picture of his engine mounted on his stand using the tranny bell housing bolts

http://my330i.com/forums/showpost.ph...&postcount=116
Old 01-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #49
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Has this plan been revised? Nothing in this original plan sounds like it will work.
-Original injectors won't put in enough fuel with 330 software, since 330 makes calculations based on higher flow fuel injectors.
-330 ecu and software do the calculating from throttle pedal to throttle body, so is wiring going to be different and how will the ECU react to not having all inputs?
-Will a Conforti Shark Injector even allow you to replace software of one model with another for liability reasons?
-Will your ECU even be compatible with the needed software?
She's swapping the block and using her existing ECU and sensors. Well see how it turns out.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #50
Akovski

My Ride: 323CI
do a build thread. im sure plenty of people would love to follow the thread. I cant recall the name of the guy that just did the swap with the s54. I want to do a engine swap one day in the next few years. got 200k on mine
Akovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #51
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
She's swapping the block and using her existing ECU and sensors. Well see how it turns out.
From a programmable Bosch ECU guide:
Quote:
The injection time depends mainly on throttle position, engine speed, fuel pressure and injection valve type. To get a first estimation, the following characteristics must be known:
displacement per cylinder VC (m3)
expected intake manifold pressure (after throttle) pi [Pa]
desired lambda value ***955;
operating fuel pressure pf [bar]
injection valve flow rate Qstat [g/min] at reference fuel pressure pfRef [bar]
intake air temperature Ti [K]
The fuel mass mf is calculated by: ...
The only difference with the E46 setup is in place of manifold pressure and intake air temperature there is a MAF. If you change the block, the displacement value goes wrong. The ECU will still calculate fuel, but it will have an incorrect value, and will inject incorrect amounts of fuel.

With a larger displacement, and no other changes I'd expect the mixture to run lean, misfires would occur, the engine would try some enrichment compensating, and then go into safe mode.

Maybe a ghetto fix would be just install an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and slowly up the fuel pressure, until the engine compensation amounts were close to neutral. The mapping probably wouldn't be ideal though, as camshaft and intake properties would throw things off in a few areas.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #52
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney921 View Post
Enjoy the new project! Someday when I have a backup DD I'll have a go at an engine swap up to the S52, I'm too emotionally attached to my 330Ci to give it up for an M3. You're my hero for doing a swap.
Do you mean the S54? I mean in all honesty, the S52 is a nice motor but not really an upgrade from the M54. More like stepping sideways-ish...
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #53
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
From a programmable Bosch ECU guide:

The only difference with the E46 setup is in place of manifold pressure and intake air temperature there is a MAF. If you change the block, the displacement value goes wrong. The ECU will still calculate fuel, but it will have an incorrect value, and will inject incorrect amounts of fuel.

With a larger displacement, and no other changes I'd expect the mixture to run lean, misfires would occur, the engine would try some enrichment compensating, and then go into safe mode.

Maybe a ghetto fix would be just install an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and slowly up the fuel pressure, until the engine compensation amounts were close to neutral. The mapping probably wouldn't be ideal though, as camshaft and intake properties would throw things off in a few areas.
Quote:
Has this plan been revised? Nothing in this original plan sounds like it will work.-Original injectors won't put in enough fuel with 330 software, since 330 makes calculations based on higher flow fuel injectors.
-330 ecu and software do the calculating from throttle pedal to throttle body, so is wiring going to be different and how will the ECU react to not having all inputs?
-Will a Conforti Shark Injector even allow you to replace software of one model with another for liability reasons?
-Will your ECU even be compatible with the needed software?

Original injectors won't put in enough fuel with 330 software
when did I say I was running 330 software?

wiring going to be different and how will the ECU react to not having all inputs?
when did I say I am going to run a MS43 or MS45 engine wire harness and DME?

you have no reading comprehension and just came in here with your negativity. I would even say you came in here just to "rain on my parade." next time, I suggest you read the thread before commenting.

The only valid thing you said so far is the "lean codes" but I am sure I won't run into that problem. The 2.8L and 2.5L uses the same injectors and I think the stock injectors is rated up to 210-220HP.

Anyhow, I might be a "newbie" so I am sure this is why are you are shitting on my thread but what do you have to say about 4ngie and M4TT dropping in a 3.0L engine to replace's their B25 engine. 4ngie ran her car with the MS42 (325 Map) on the 3.0L and reported no major issues.

I am already talking to a few tuners to customized my MS42 Map to take advantage of the larger displacement and larger injectors. So if everything fails I will just get a custome tune and hopefully this will silence your non sense and negative views.

BTW...since you know it all, can you at least help me and contribute to my thread in a postive manner by answering my question:

what is the stock flow rate for the 323/328/325 fuel injectors? I know the B30 uses #24 but can't really confirm the B25. I keep on getting conflicting numbers from #16 to #22

if my project fails then I will be the first one to admit that I was wrong based on a lot of incorrect assumptions. Heck, I will even suck up my pride and ego and come on here and say "you are right." However, at least I can walk away knowing that I have bigger balls then you to try something like this.

Last edited by flashmeow; 01-13-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #54
mkodama

lol, short temper today? I was just chatting about engine stuff. Notice most of the stuff I said had a question mark behind them and not a ?

If I wanted to come in hear and annoy you, I'd start putting stuff in bold and saying "YOU HAVE NO READING COMPREHENSION!!!!"

EDIT: oh wait, you already did that to me...

Last edited by mkodama; 01-13-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #55
fadeaway

My Ride: 04 330Ci
Jebus... this is the internets. Calm down, people.

Opinions are like @$$holes. Everyone has one.
fadeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #56
mkodama

M54B30 only
BMW Part No: 13 53 7 546 245
Manufacturer: Siemens
Manufacturer Part No: 1439800
Flow rate: 244cc/min or 23.2lbs/hr at 3 bar (43.5psi)
315cc/min or 30.0lbs/hr at 5 bar

All M54 and M52tu (excluding M54B30)
BMW Part No: 13 53 7 546 244
Manufacturer Part No: 1427240
Flow rate: 161cc/min or 15.3lbs/hr at 3 bar (43.5psi)
208cc/min or 19.8lbs/hr at 5 bar

Last edited by mkodama; 01-13-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #57
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
Yes, bow down before my trolling and arrogance with somewhat useful information. Ok, now I'm going to troll somebody else who is in over their heads.

M54B30 only
BMW Part No: 13 53 7 546 245
Manufacturer Part No: 1439800
Flow rate: 315cc/min or 30.0lbs/hr

All M54 and M52tu (excluding M54B30)
BMW Part No: 13 53 7 546 244
Manufacturer Part No: 1427240
Flow rate: 208cc/min or 19.8lbs/hr
thanks for the 2.5 flow injector answer (sincerely mean this) but I think your B30 flow rate is wrong. a lot of people keep on saying that the B30 flow rate is 30lbs/hr but PEI330 has confirmed that it is istead a 24ft/lbs. I will put my money on PEI because 1) he is Canadian and 2) he is a god

here is what PEI330 wrote on his amazing build thread on my330i

With "spark" handled, I turned my attention to fuel. The purple ones are the OEM 24 lb/hr injectors, the maroon ones are new 30 lb/hr injectors:

It appears that the OEM injectors have a directional nozzle that points towards the valves. The OEM injector is on the left, new one on the right:

Last edited by flashmeow; 01-13-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:09 PM   #58
mtnbound
Town Clown

My Ride: 330Ci Vert, 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
I will put my money on PEI because 1) he is Canadian and 2) he is a god
and 3) PEI330 now has mkodama's car and made it more bettererest than mkodama ever did.
mtnbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #59
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbound View Post
and 3) PEI330 now has mkodama's car and made it more bettererest than mkodama ever did.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #60
323I00

My Ride: E46 323I
Flash a couple of things ...

1-Im so subscribed to this thread.
2-I you for the attempt.
3-Please document and post pics of every Inch and detail as many 323I owners will be most likely doing this after you do It.
4-Will you be parting any thing from youre 323 ?
5-Have a look at DYNOTUNE...may wanna get a euro flash...

Ill be back with more ...

Functional justification... true. But girls dropping their panties counts for something
BBK on non-supercharged-non-m..... because chasecar
323I00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
too many pictures