E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #681
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
i agree with everything you said especially about ATI R&D capabilities and Vorshlag timeline. I am just a little shock about the $750-800 price tag. wondering how much ATI is charging for an non BMW damper.
It just depends if they have it in-stock or not. Reason M54 damper is so expensive is that it is custom made per order. It is not stocked on shelf like other Makes and Model they have. 500-600
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #682
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
It is possible the Vorshlag Damper is as good as the ATI, but probably not. I can make this statement based on the fact that ATI's sole purpose in life is building the very best Dampers, period. ATI has every possible piece of "State Of The Art" testing equipment at their disposal. The chances of Vorshlag investing millions, if not tens of millions of dollars in this type of testing equipment for a Damper or Dampers they're only going to sell a few of is not likely. So their copy may be good, but probably not on the same level of the ATI Damper.

I would also say that anyone placing a single order with ATI at about $800 would get their Damper in 60 to 90 days. On the other hand, Vorshlag isn't even out of the prototype stage; who's to say their first or even second prototype works properly ? Which means the chance of taking delivery on a Vorshlag finished Damper any sooner than 8 or 9 months from now is not likely. So you could spend $800 now, and be protected for the 2012 track day / occasional autocross season. Or wait to spend $550 to $600 (guessing) on the Vorshlag Damper that won't probably be delivered any sooner than September, meanwhile you just suffered a catastrophic engine failure at the last track day you participated in. The choice is yours.

Good luck.
I'm not trying to start anything but it seems you are being a little optimistic with how ATI would treat us and pessimistic on the Vorshlag piece- which is more understandable.

It seems from some posts on this page of the guys from the last GB have a soured impression of ATIs service and helpfulness with the E46 community. It seems like they took forever to make the dampers and didn't really give you much of a discount- basically made you work for the product. Someone called them and they said 90-120 days. I don't think I'll have a catastrophic engine failure before then, being cautious not to hold to high rpms, with the loctite prepped nut on my zhp and only 6800rpm redline.

I want to wait until the new damper is out and weigh my options.

"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #683
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
zhp43867, I hear you.

Optimistic, maybe maybe not. I'm not a fan of how ATI treated us on the GB, they certainly should have done better. But I know of two forum members who ordered their dampers separately, as in not the group buy. They both received their dampers in a timely fashion. One thing a lot of people don't take into consideration with a performance company like ATI, is whether or not it's racing season. At this moment they're slower based on the time of year, but come spring/summer the demand for their products go way up. When ATI started making the 10 dampers, one for me & the other 9, it was the peak of the busy season.

Vorshlag: I don't know much about them, but I do know they don't manufacture dampers for a living. So pessimistic, maybe. I wouldn't want to risk my semi high dollar motor on a product who's sole purpose is to keep my motor from vibrating it self to death. If they didn't get it right, the only way I'd find out is through catastrophic engine failure. So for me it's ATI, even though we all waited to long to get it.

Last: I'm sure if you're trying to be cautious about high RPM usage, you'll be fine. I myself was not cautious, and blew up my last M54B30 motor; thus one big reason I upgraded to the ATI damper & a special oil pump.

Good luck in your decision.
Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #684
PawnStar

My Ride: 330ci
If i Order this damper from ATI can I purchase/rent the "custom tool" to install this piece?
PawnStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #685
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Anthony@Bimmerbrakes will rent you the tool.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #686
BimmerBrakes
The Brake Newbie!

My Ride: 2005 ZHP BMW
Send a message via AIM to BimmerBrakes
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
Anthony@Bimmerbrakes will rent you the tool.
x2

-Anthony@BimmerBrakes
BimmerBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:10 PM   #687
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBrakes View Post
x2

-Anthony@BimmerBrakes
anthony..you got PM!
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:20 PM   #688
BimmerBrakes
The Brake Newbie!

The tool will be "Free to Rent". Yes, you heard correctly. All, I ask is you to take care of my personal tools as your own.

Cover shipping Their and Back and a Deposit of $180.

At the moment the Tool is Shipped to James.

Quote:
anthony..you got PM!
Responded

-Anthony@BimmerBrakes
Old 01-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #689
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Anthony rocks!
Old 01-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #690
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:
The tool will be "Free to Rent". Yes, you heard correctly. All, I ask is you to take care of my personal tools as your own.

Cover shipping Their and Back and a Deposit of $180.
Yeah, don't be an idiot and strip the thread adaptor...
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #691
BimmerBrakes
The Brake Newbie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Yeah, don't be an idiot and strip the thread adaptor...
hehe

I will be modifying the Adapter alittle shorter.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:57 AM   #692
escabar

My Ride: 330i
I wish I had come across this thread last year...I would have been in for the GB.

I am in for a 2nd GB...but can't wait a year...I can only wait 3-6 mo.
escabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #693
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by escabar View Post
I wish I had come across this thread last year...I would have been in for the GB.

I am in for a 2nd GB...but can't wait a year...I can only wait 3-6 mo.
me too. I don't want to shell out 750-800 but if there is a future group buy than I am all for it (willing to pay in full in advance also)
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #694
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
me too. I don't want to shell out 750-800 but if there is a future group buy than I am all for it (willing to pay in full in advance also)
If yall can set it up sure Anthony wont mind...
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #695
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:
hehe

I will be modifying the Adapter alittle shorter.
I'm taking my radiator out this time...because I would really hate to admit on this forum I stripped twice...I meant stripped the tool twice...that didn't sound good.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #696
JRMcDaniel

My Ride: Racecars
Quote:
It is possible the Vorshlag Damper is as good as the ATI, but probably not. I can make this statement based on the fact that ATI's sole purpose in life is building the very best Dampers, period. ATI has every possible piece of "State Of The Art" testing equipment at their disposal. The chances of Vorshlag investing millions, if not tens of millions of dollars in this type of testing equipment for a Damper or Dampers they're only going to sell a few of is not likely. So their copy may be good, but probably not on the same level of the ATI Damper.

I would also say that anyone placing a single order with ATI at about $800 would get their Damper in 60 to 90 days. On the other hand, Vorshlag isn't even out of the prototype stage; who's to say their first or even second prototype works properly ? Which means the chance of taking delivery on a Vorshlag finished Damper any sooner than 8 or 9 months from now is not likely. So you could spend $800 now, and be protected for the 2012 track day / occasional autocross season. Or wait to spend $550 to $600 (guessing) on the Vorshlag Damper that won't probably be delivered any sooner than September, meanwhile you just suffered a catastrophic engine failure at the last track day you participated in. The choice is yours.

Good luck.
Well, I'm the Jason at Vorshlag that some of the guys spoke to.

We aren't developing this in-house. We know suspensions. We don't have the knowledge to built a SFI approved engine damper without some help. We are working with a company who makes a LOT of SFI dampers and some OEM dampers to get this to market. Our target price is less than $500 and so far it looks like we are well below that. Our schedule is to have a beta version on the road by the end of March. If that works out we will be offering them through the shop. Since our supplier had made a huge number of other SFI dampers we expect the damping part and the pulley profile to be spot-on. Our concerns are the snout fitment.
JRMcDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #697
BimmerBrakes
The Brake Newbie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMcDaniel View Post

We aren't developing this in-house. We know suspensions. We don't have the knowledge to built a SFI approved engine damper without some help. We are working with a company who makes a LOT of SFI dampers and some OEM dampers to get this to market. Our target price is less than $500 and so far it looks like we are well below that. Our schedule is to have a beta version on the road by the end of March. If that works out we will be offering them through the shop. Since our supplier had made a huge number of other SFI dampers we expect the damping part and the pulley profile to be spot-on. Our concerns are the snout fitment.
Glad to hear Vorshlag got this on a roll...

-Anthony@BimmerBrakes
Old 01-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #698
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:

If you need a local car for testing, I might be interested.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:43 PM   #699
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:

That sounds good, and I wish you great success with your damper.

I am glad to know that this is not something you were trying to do in house.

What type of testing equipment do you plan on using to make sure you have "tuned out" the bad harmonics that plague the M54B30 block & crank ? I'm really hoping Vorshlag's plans aren't to just install it on a test car & beat on that car. Thinking of course, that if your test car doesn't suffer OP/OPN failure you're good to go.

On a side note, since Vorshlag is trying to bring this type of product to market, go the extra mile for the other half of the problem. You guys should develop a cheaper version of the "Super Oil Pump" that costs us $750 right now. Here's the link to detailed photos of the SOP, develop it & bring it to market for $399; you'll sell a lot of them.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...56&postcount=1

Good luck, and welcome to E46Fanatics !
Rob

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:00 PM   #700
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
What type of testing equipment do you plan on using to make sure you have "tuned out" the bad harmonics that plague the M54B30 block & crank ? I'm really hoping Vorshlag's plans aren't to just install it on a test car & beat on that car. Thinking of course, that if your test car doesn't suffer OP/OPN failure you're good to go.
You really think ATI did the level of testing you are suggesting? Given the amount and type of data they gathered from customers (even prior to the group buy), I didn't get the impression they ever laid hands on an M54. I believe they just used their standard design with properly sized pulleys, selected elastomer rings by rule of thumb for an I6 with an assumed max engine speed and power rating, and ensured a properly toleranced fit for the M54 crank snout. Maybe they put a lot more R&D into their M54 offering but it would truly surprise me if they did.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote