E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 3.44 average. Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #61
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
I think I fixed the problem, everything works if the Siemens data is listed at 5 bar, when the commonly used standard is 3 bar, 43.5 psi.

M54B30 only
BMW Part No: 13 53 7 546 245
Manufacturer: Siemens
Manufacturer Part No: 1439800
Flow rate: 244cc/min or 23.2lbs/hr at 3 bar (43.5psi)
315cc/min or 30.0lbs/hr at 5 bar

All M54 and M52tu (excluding M54B30)
BMW Part No: 13 53 7 546 244
Manufacturer: Siemens
Manufacturer Part No: 1427240
Flow rate: 161cc/min or 15.3lbs/hr at 3 bar (43.5psi)
208cc/min or 19.8lbs/hr at 5 bar
cool thanx. can you help me with the calculation for 3.5 bar. I think all e46 fuel pressure is 3.5 bar
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #62
YeaBMW

My Ride: 05 330ci ZHP~E90 335
I have purple injectors from zhp i parted out, if u need them - g.l.
YeaBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #63
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323I00 View Post
Flash a couple of things ...

1-Im so subscribed to this thread.
2-I you for the attempt.
3-Please document and post pics of every Inch and detail as many 323I owners will be most likely doing this after you do It.
4-Will you be parting any thing from youre 323 ?
5-Have a look at DYNOTUNE...may wanna get a euro flash...

Ill be back with more ...
yes sir. my goal is to take as many pictures. the engine is coming on Tuesday and I am so excited.

I have a lot of 323i extra 323i parts sitting around. I just hate going to the post office and mailing stuff. you are more happy to ask for any parts but just be patient on the mailing part (of course I am not going make you pay until i am ready to shipped).

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeaBMW View Post
I have purple injectors from zhp i parted out, if u need them - g.l.
Thanks. I think I bought the B30 intake manifold from you last year for my retrofit project.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #64
Bartacus

My Ride: 2002 320i Sedan
Wow! OP, for someone who calls himself a noob, you sure seem like you know a lot! Good luck on the swap! Love these threads!
Bartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #65
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: 323i -98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
Wow! OP, for someone who calls herself a noob, you sure seem like you know a lot! Good luck on the swap! Love these threads!
Corrected
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:45 PM   #66
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
I will share my magical powers of the interwebs with you: http://www.rceng.com/technical.aspx

Very useful page. And yes, E46 non-M fuel pressure is 3.5 bar, E46 M3 is 5 bar.

This was going to be my exact answer, I swear !

This is what I get for coming late to the party.

3.5 bar X 14.7 = 51.45 then you interpolate & roundup to 52 PSI.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind" M54 CAMS 264/252 $849
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:48 PM   #67
Bartacus

My Ride: 2002 320i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pir4t View Post
Corrected
WHAT?!?! You mean a WOMAN created an ENGINE SWAP thread, and ISN'T getting eHumped like a rabbit?!?! Does that mean this forum finally grew up?
Bartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:21 PM   #68
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: 323i -98
Quote:
WHAT?!?! You mean a WOMAN created an ENGINE SWAP thread, and ISN'T getting eHumped like a rabbit?!?! Does that mean this forum finally grew up?
Oh she gets eHumped all around i think , i vagely recall she does MMA so maby thats why you dont see much eHumping

As for fuel pressure change you just divide the new pressure by the old, then sqrt it and multiply with inj. cc's

50.8/43.5=1.17
sqrt(1.17)=1.08
161cc*1.08=174cc @ 3.5bar

Fuel injector is calculated by :
HPGoal * BSFC(0.5 for gas , 0.75 for E85 are what i generally use)
Divide this by number of injectors multiplied by duty cycle(DC can be as high as 90% depending on the injector quality) and then multiply by 10.5 to have it in cc's

So : (230*0,5)/(6*0,85)*10.5=237cc is the minimum flow you need.

Rob , 1 bar isnt 14.7psi (it's ~14.51, maby you were thiking of lambda=1 for gas?)
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #69
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
^ Yes, got that mixed up.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind" M54 CAMS 264/252 $849
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #70
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
Quote:
She scared most of the leg humpers off with her racist comments in many an OT thread.

Anyways... good luck with the swap.

i spend it while i can, if i run out i'll swallow all my meds
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #71
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
Quote:
Originally Posted by breiwa1 View Post
Many people are questioning why you are doing this swap for minimal gains, but they are forgetting that this is just a new starting point with a larger platform........
......Also having an engine with only 90k on it would be nice, and any gains achieved is at the very worst a bonus.

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #72
lab rat

My Ride: '02 330iT
I expect only minimal gains at the top but the low end torque should improve dramaticaly.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #73
323I00

My Ride: E46 323I
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
cool thanx. can you help me with the calculation for 3.5 bar. I think all e46 fuel pressure is 3.5 bar
Ive read some OG threads on other sites and truthfully nothing really was Illustrated or documented properly , What was started out as a project ended up as "So op did you resolve the problem" OR "OP Its been to long pls update us".

Its a project Ive thought about numerous times but never fell through because of mixed ans , Ideally yes theres always some thing that comes up or come short through the process but from what Ive read Its never been Illustrated with a complete detail.

Ps....Will we finally see what Miss flash looks like through pics ? And yes we dont mind pointy elbows the blonde/big boobs makes up for It

Functional justification... true. But girls dropping their panties counts for something
BBK on non-supercharged-non-m..... because chasecar
323I00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:04 PM   #74
flashmeow
Banned User

mini update: The M54B30 ZHP engine is already here in OKC. Maybe I will get it on Monday and not Tuesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPR77 View Post
......Also having an engine with only 90k on it would be nice, and any gains achieved is at the very worst a bonus.
Without proper/custom tunning or running a dedicated MS43 or MS45 setup I will not run this engine at its max efficiency/performance. However, I will be content if I get some low end performance (especially more torque) while running my MS42 Map. Of course custom tunning or MS43 or MS45 is a MUST but that won't be later down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab rat View Post
I expect only minimal gains at the top but the low end torque should improve dramaticaly.
agree and I hope so too (more low end torque)

Quote:
Ive read some OG threads on other sites and truthfully nothing really was Illustrated or documented properly , What was started out as a project ended up as "So op did you resolve the problem" OR "OP Its been to long pls update us".

Its a project Ive thought about numerous times but never fell through because of mixed ans , Ideally yes theres always some thing that comes up or come short through the process but from what Ive read Its never been Illustrated with a complete detail.

Ps....Will we finally see what Miss flash looks like through pics ? And yes we dont mind pointy elbows the blonde/big boobs makes up for It
You are right. Based on my research I have seen the three following scenarios:

1) People who started the project but never updated their progress (I assumed they abandoned it due to technical issues)

2) People who started the project and said it worked but gave very little background information (the majority falls in this catagory to include a handful of e46fanatics members).

3) People who started the project and completed it successfully doing a complete swap (DME, injectors, TB, wire harness, etc). This is a successful completion is obvious since they are doing a 100% proper swap.

assuming I do not run lean on the car (since I am using the 323/328/325 injectors) and assuming I make ZERO NET GAIN (based on dyno resuots) I will probably leave the engine until I work on the custom tunning or upgrade my DME to MS43/45.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:39 PM   #75
323I00

Adding this to my favs ...Cant wait..

Functional justification... true. But girls dropping their panties counts for something
Old 01-15-2012, 12:02 AM   #76
Hobbit382

My Ride: 99-328i 00-323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
this is another subject in itself but I have been seriously taking about retrofitting the ZF 6 speed automatic (found on the twin turbo e9x) on the
M54 engine. It was already confirmed that the bell housing will mate with the engine block perfectly. what havent been confirmed is what modification is required for this to work (Tranny wire harness, TCU, drive shaft, etc)
I have played around with this aswell. some of the problems you need to overcome are the starter mounting. from what I remember the m54 starter has 2 bolts that go through the transmission side of the bell housing and into the starter. the n5x has one bolt on the transmission side of the bell housing and 1 bolt that goes into the bell housing from the engine side. you would need to drill/machine the bell housing and make sure the starter lines up with the flywheel.

the flywheels/flexplates are different as well as the clutch/torque converter.

the drive shaft would have to be shortened.

the "tcu" (egs) is internal to the transmission on the autos I dont know if the ms43/ms54 will speak the same CAN lang as the n5x

thats as far as I have gotten with it. if you pursue it more please update us. the n5x tranny is leaps and bounds better!
Hobbit382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #77
flashmeow
Banned User

mini update:

I freight company delivered the engine today. Tomorrow I will put the engine on my cherry picker or engine stand to do a visual and check out the engine cosmetically. so far it seems like the engine was man handled while disassembling or was beat up during shipment. the pallet that the engine was completely broken (the company didn't strapped down the engine) and almost every other plastic components on the engine is broken (water pump, valve cover, etc). the good news is that I am planning to replace all of those items anyway so it really doesn't matter but it still upset me a little that people could be so careless with other people property. oh yeah, there was oil stain all over the plastic wrapping so I hope the engine pan isn't broken.

i will post pictures tomorrow.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #78
323I00

Subd... Flash having worked In the transport field for a good part , You can claim all damaged goods provided proof , Hence If you have any pics of the Item prior to It being sent out helps , If you have a documented contract from whom ever you purchased the block from saying that theres no damaged parts and that theres no leaks can save you alot.

I would have a look Into It ..

Last edited by 323I00; 01-17-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:17 AM   #79
lab rat

My Ride: '02 330iT
Good news, sort of.
Post some pics. Inspect the oil filter housing. Mine was cracked and I didn't notice until the engine was in the car.
The problem with claiming damage is that packing is shippers responsibility. If they didn't strap it down then it's their fault. I would contact the seller and get the broken pieces replaced (if it's a wrecking yard they should have some spares)
Old 01-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #80
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
Subd... Flash having worked In the transport field for a good part , You can claim all damaged goods provided proof , Hence If you have any pics of the Item prior to It being sent out helps , If you have a documented contract from whom ever you purchased the block from saying that theres no damaged parts and that theres no leaks can save you alot.

I would have a look Into It ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by lab rat View Post
Good news, sort of.
Post some pics. Inspect the oil filter housing. Mine was cracked and I didn't notice until the engine was in the car.
The problem with claiming damage is that packing is shippers responsibility. If they didn't strap it down then it's their fault. I would contact the seller and get the broken pieces replaced (if it's a wrecking yard they should have some spares)
thanks guys. I will upload the pictures tonight. I just contacted the seller and lets see if they get defensive or is willing to make everything right.

I still can't work on my engine cuz I still need to clear coat my garage floor but tomorrow I might remove the following to inspect for potential problems:

intake manifold: check for carbon deposit on the valves and inside the intake air channels

valve cover gasket: check for sludge

oil pan: check for the oil pump nut

more to come

Tags
too many pictures