E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #81
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyminator View Post
Ok cool thanks. Hopefully my full replacement will solve all these problems.
I'm looking forward to the results...how many miles are on your built engine?
Old 01-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #82
Rockyminator

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
I'm looking forward to the results...how many miles are on your built engine?
A little less than 7500 miles on the rebuilt HPF motor. Yeah.. It's not a daily driver lol.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #83
MalibuMafiaV

My Ride: SCed E46 & E60 M5
I did the besian seals. I noticed the difference right away. Although I did he vanos seals a little after I already had the supercharged in. But it was only running 6psi at that time and not it's current 8psi.
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
MalibuMafiaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #84
Rockyminator

Hey what's up guys. So just an update, I received the Dr. Vanos rebuilt vanos in the mail today. I inspected it to find that he basically drills two new holes in the vanos where the exhaust hub tabs go into. It appears that the newly drilled holes are slightly smaller than the factory holes, fitting the tabs tighter, which is great news! I test fitted the hub, and there is a bit of play in the factory holes (one of the factory holes is damaged, but the other isn't and there is still a little bit of play in the undamaged hole). Then I test fitted it into the new holes and it fits tight with no play. I hope this solves the noise problem and prevents the tabs from potentially breaking. Now I'm just waiting on the upgraded cam bolts because they were not included in this shipment.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:10 PM   #85
02black330ci

My Ride: spaceship
Quote:
Hey what's up guys. So just an update, I received the Dr. Vanos rebuilt vanos in the mail today. I inspected it to find that he basically drills two new holes in the vanos where the exhaust hub tabs go into. It appears that the newly drilled holes are slightly smaller than the factory holes, fitting the tabs tighter, which is great news! I test fitted the hub, and there is a bit of play in the factory holes (one of the factory holes is damaged, but the other isn't and there is still a little bit of play in the undamaged hole). Then I test fitted it into the new holes and it fits tight with no play. I hope this solves the noise problem and prevents the tabs from potentially breaking. Now I'm just waiting on the upgraded cam bolts because they were not included in this shipment.
Thanks for the updates man. Can you take a picture of both and post it up?

02black330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:28 PM   #86
Rockyminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02black330ci View Post
Thanks for the updates man. Can you take a picture of both and post it up?
Here's a picture of the vanos showing all the holes. You can kind of see that the newly drilled ones are slightly smaller than the factory ones. I took this pic earlier with my iphone... sorry about the quality. I like that the new holes are drilled to that spec.. but I also kind of have to agree with some people on here on how overpriced it is... All drvanos really did was drill two new holes and replaced the solenoid and seals with new factory ones... something I could have done but with better Beisan seals... Another reason why I feel it's overpriced is because the vanos was actually previously damaged... whereas mine still looks to be in good condition but just with a little play. Looking back, I should have just sent mine in to be rebuilt!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2658.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	433110  

Last edited by Rockyminator; 01-19-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Rockyminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #87
323tom

My Ride: Turbo 323 ;)
I just went through this thread briefly.. I need to order a vanos overhaul kit of some sort just for a peace of mind.. I dont have any extreme ticks just want to feel safe knowing it's all been done... Other than the beisan seals what should I order? The dr vanos is pretty damn pricey I don't think I'll need that kit... Any recommendations? Thanks!
Old 01-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #88
Rockyminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323tom View Post
I just went through this thread briefly.. I need to order a vanos overhaul kit of some sort just for a peace of mind.. I dont have any extreme ticks just want to feel safe knowing it's all been done... Other than the beisan seals what should I order? The dr vanos is pretty damn pricey I don't think I'll need that kit... Any recommendations? Thanks!
Just order the Beisan seals/solenoid kit, and replace your cam bolts with upgraded bolts and you're good to go. Will only cost you around 150 bucks total... maybe even less!
Old 01-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #89
Dreikraft

My Ride: slow m3
Quote:
Just order the Beisan seals/solenoid kit, and replace your cam bolts with upgraded bolts and you're good to go. Will only cost you around 150 bucks total... maybe even less!
thanks for the update. btw hows it coldstarting now?
Dreikraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #90
Rockyminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreikraft View Post
thanks for the update. btw hows it coldstarting now?
I just got all the parts in yesterday (Vanos unit, exhaust hub, and cam bolts), so I'll be dropping it off at HPF on Monday for them to start the repair. My car will probably be done sometime next week. I'll keep you posted.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:54 AM   #91
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Perfect!
Old 01-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #92
Greg Ogden

My Ride: HPF 2.5 M3, E36 M3
Send a message via ICQ to Greg Ogden
Just heard from Kirk today and my tab was broke, so it looks like i'm now in the market for an upgrade.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #93
turbotoy2791

My Ride: 04 m3
CNC 300 Maraging tab ring before heat treat.

After heat treat and installed on hub. The purple tint is from the heat treat

300 Maraging steel 296,000 psi yeild strength with larger tabs to take up the slack in pump and radius at the bottom of the tab for added strength. CNC cut for tight tolerances.
turbotoy2791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #94
dushant

My Ride: BMW 318i
Does anyone know where I can buy VANOS O rings in the UK ?
dushant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #95
Twin_Turbo_S54

My Ride: M3
Just to save your cash, do NOT do anything to your vanos.

I ve been pushing S54, making 4 digit power at the wheels, revving 9000 rpm all day long.

All I do is use OEM vanos related parts. Torque them to original specs. Thats it.

I never ever needed an aftermarket vanos related part.

Just use your hard earned Money on other parts which will improve your M3s.

FEALER:a friend of mine had a S50 B32 Euro m3 Turbo. He removed S50 B32 and put a 2JZE engine.

He is unhappy as he admitted the loss of mid range.

BMW vanos IMPROVES CYLINDER FILLING and hence improves spool.

Whoever removes VANOS on a BMW engine does it wrong at the expense of loss of torque.

The only 1 area where vanos might be removed is DRAG RACE ONLY M3. At the drag strip, build boost off the line, take off, never drop below 5500 rpm and yes no need for vanos.

I may build a 9000 + revving S54, for drag race only, and test it Engine speed will always be over 6000 rpm and no need for vanos. Besides vanos "may" not hold over 9200 rpm.

I was happily revving 9200 for the last 4 years.
Twin_Turbo_S54 is offline   Reply With Quote