E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #21
lcoleman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: the barnyard
Posts: 2,458
My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
^That looks like a good car with some PITA issues.

This doesn't count as spamming, because MachRC started it!!!!


IMG_4854 by überschnell, on Flickr

(weaksawwwce s52 can suck it :-p )
__________________
lcoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #22
bimminge46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SE Michigan/NW Ohio
Posts: 2,040
My Ride: 323Ci, 89 325i ETA
The owner is a mechanic in his mid 30's. It was going to be his project car but he does not have the time or money. It has headers and a straight pipe with a flowmaster muffler. I have been looking for e30's for months within 300 miles and haven't found anything near this cheap. Every car I see on craigslist or ebay is rusted out with high miles and they are asking 2.5k+. In my area these are very hard to find. This is actually the 3rd e30 I have seen in person.
__________________


E30 in progress.




bimminge46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:58 PM   #23
lcoleman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: the barnyard
Posts: 2,458
My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Regardless of his profession, they didn't make an '89 325e. He's either swapped it, he's an idiot, or he doesn't know what he has.

I wouldn't buy it for that money. Especially with headers and a straight pipe, GD the M20 sounds awful with open exhaust.

Make a drive south of the Mason-Dixon if you want a rust-free shell. They're plentiful down here.
__________________
lcoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #24
Alex323Ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Huntington Beach -Surf City USA
Posts: 17,121
My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Yep the 2.7 is the 325e/es which is the low revving "eta" economy engine. It's not uncommon to switch and build on that block. See if he did.
Otherwise I would search for a 325is.
__________________
OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAVI - BMWPERF CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC BRKLINES, TRANS, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 01-20-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:36 PM   #25
Brinkley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: asheville NC
Posts: 1,502
My Ride: 99 328i, 07 z4 3.0
I have been wanting another e30...but I have also felt the mr2 turbo calling me back as well...
Brinkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #26
Silver01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ramsey, Minnesota
Posts: 387
My Ride: 2001 330i
As Icoleman said the one i posted doesnt look too bad and i bet the guy would take less on price. Is that one within your 300mi range? Its in minnesota near the twin cities.
__________________

2001 330i Sport Package
BIR Sport compact proving grounds
Silver01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #27
InTheBeams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sacramento California
Posts: 374
My Ride: 02 330i Sport Pkg.
With you guys talking about the engine swaps wouldnt it not matter whether you got the 318, 318is, 325is, 325es, Since your swapping the engine anyways? Or am I missing something?
__________________
InTheBeams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #28
lcoleman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: the barnyard
Posts: 2,458
My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Well, engine swap to the e36m3's s50 or s52 is one option. Turbo'ing the stock "i" m20 is another, which you can see in my post above. There are advantages and disadvantages to everything.

And I never said that one didn't look too bad. The blower motor and leaks would be a real pain to fix.
__________________
lcoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #29
mvrk10256
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 3,904
My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
take a look at my build thread lol
__________________
mvrk10256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #30
Alex323Ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Huntington Beach -Surf City USA
Posts: 17,121
My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheBeams View Post
With you guys talking about the engine swaps wouldnt it not matter whether you got the 318, 318is, 325is, 325es, Since your swapping the engine anyways? Or am I missing something?
Sure it matters, as different models got different upgraded parts standard like LSD, better ratios, larger brakes, sport seat and steering wheel and OBC etc.
__________________
OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAVI - BMWPERF CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC BRKLINES, TRANS, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #31
InTheBeams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sacramento California
Posts: 374
My Ride: 02 330i Sport Pkg.
I didn't realize the 325is came with an LSD thats awesome. Though I read its not to hard to get an LSD and swap it into one of the other models. Thanks
__________________
InTheBeams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #32
bimminge46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SE Michigan/NW Ohio
Posts: 2,040
My Ride: 323Ci, 89 325i ETA
He did not swap out the motor. Its all original. I may have misunderstood something. It's probably just a 325e with a I head.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver01 View Post
As Icoleman said the one i posted doesnt look too bad and i bet the guy would take less on price. Is that one within your 300mi range? Its in minnesota near the twin cities.
The car has 200k + miles.....the car i'm looking at has 130k. I would never spend that much on a 200k+ mile car. I want a running rust free e30 regardless of what engine it has. It will just be a cruiser. Its either spend tons of money on a clean low mile e30 or buy an e30 in ok condition for cheap. My computer costs twice as much as this car.
__________________


E30 in progress.





Last edited by bimminge46; 01-20-2012 at 06:03 PM.
bimminge46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #33
TrippinBimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ridgeland, MS
Posts: 5,384
My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
take a look at my project thread...
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #34
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,727
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
ive always heard to stay away from ETA motors, because they just suck.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #35
bimminge46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SE Michigan/NW Ohio
Posts: 2,040
My Ride: 323Ci, 89 325i ETA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post
take a look at my project thread...
Nice man. That car was in rough shape. Going to subscribe to that! Car is coming together great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
ive always heard to stay away from ETA motors, because they just suck.
Why do they suck? Because they have a rev limit? The car will just be a daily driver.
__________________


E30 in progress.




bimminge46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:43 PM   #36
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,727
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
read they have diesel like engine characteristics. it just doesnt sound like a fun E30. i dunno.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #37
tomoyer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Reading, Pennsylvania
Posts: 782
My Ride: 03 325xi, 03 330xi
Send a message via Yahoo to tomoyer
I'm going to chime in here a bit. I have owned or still own several E30s. I have had an 1984 318i, a 1985 318i, a 1987 325e, a 1989 325ix and a 1991 318is. The small 4 cylinders in the 1984 and 1985 318is were no power houses, but were pretty bullet proof, good drivers and got decent gas mileage. The 1987 325e was a bit quicker than the 318i's and you had to change the timing belt just like the service manual said. The 1989 325ix is a great car in all weather, heavy, but handles well and no snow will stop it with 4 good snow tires. The 1991 318is is a more modern 2002, the cult car. It was the lightest and the M42 dual overhead cam 4 cylinder made 132 HP stock, more than enough to move the car quite quickly (quite fast from 0 to 60). If you did some engine, exhaust and suspension and brake mods, the car was even quicker and even more fun to drive, especially on windy roads. Look for water in the trunk wells, all 3 of them, water in the tail lights, see when the timing belt was last done, if you can, pull a compression test on all cylinders. Common for the OD gear(s) to break (easy fix cause you can buy the gears for both models of speedo used), also common for dash to crack (can replace or put a cover over it). If the car really needs nothing, $1500.00 isn't bad (if you can live with the cracked dash), and still not too bad if you want to make it a project car as long as it has no rust (you might find rust on the rear facia on the passenger side between the tow hook and the corner where the battery lives) and you might find rust on the lower fronts of the doors and rear lower part of the front fenders. It should have the color coded Euro bumpers front and rear.
tomoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #38
bimminge46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SE Michigan/NW Ohio
Posts: 2,040
My Ride: 323Ci, 89 325i ETA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoyer View Post
I'm going to chime in here a bit. I have owned or still own several E30s. I have had an 1984 318i, a 1985 318i, a 1987 325e, a 1989 325ix and a 1991 318is. The small 4 cylinders in the 1984 and 1985 318is were no power houses, but were pretty bullet proof, good drivers and got decent gas mileage. The 1987 325e was a bit quicker than the 318i's and you had to change the timing belt just like the service manual said. The 1989 325ix is a great car in all weather, heavy, but handles well and no snow will stop it with 4 good snow tires. The 1991 318is is a more modern 2002, the cult car. It was the lightest and the M42 dual overhead cam 4 cylinder made 132 HP stock, more than enough to move the car quite quickly (quite fast from 0 to 60). If you did some engine, exhaust and suspension and brake mods, the car was even quicker and even more fun to drive, especially on windy roads. Look for water in the trunk wells, all 3 of them, water in the tail lights, see when the timing belt was last done, if you can, pull a compression test on all cylinders. Common for the OD gear(s) to break (easy fix cause you can buy the gears for both models of speedo used), also common for dash to crack (can replace or put a cover over it). If the car really needs nothing, $1500.00 isn't bad (if you can live with the cracked dash), and still not too bad if you want to make it a project car as long as it has no rust (you might find rust on the rear facia on the passenger side between the tow hook and the corner where the battery lives) and you might find rust on the lower fronts of the doors and rear lower part of the front fenders. It should have the color coded Euro bumpers front and rear.
The owner did state the speedo/fuel gauge goes out a few times since hes driven it. He said it frequently stops for a little bit then works again. I have read its just as simple as the circuit board going bad. Possibly the battery or gears like you stated? The car has no rust at all. Seats are mint just needs some carpet cleaning. First thing I have to buy is a new battery because he said it was dead and get an alignment. I'm not looking for a mint e30 because I don't want to spend the time looking and it will be way out of my price range. I wanted a project car to begin with. If I do end up purchasing it, it will get maintenance first, new paint, wheels, coilovers ect. Thanks for all the input
__________________


E30 in progress.





Last edited by bimminge46; 01-20-2012 at 10:09 PM.
bimminge46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #39
tomoyer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Reading, Pennsylvania
Posts: 782
My Ride: 03 325xi, 03 330xi
Send a message via Yahoo to tomoyer
Yes, the circuit board behind the cluster can go nuts, bad connections, but you can pick up a new or good used board and all should be well with the gauges, if the trip and odometer aren't working though, it is usually the first 2 gears, they are prone to break, however, there are several places where you can purchase those gears usually for less than $30.00 for the 2. Also, sometimes you need to redo the grounds behind the dash. I had fun with all my E30s, still have 2 of them, the 1989 325ix and the 1991 318is besides my 2003 325xi and my 2003 330xi sport.
tomoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #40
TrippinBimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ridgeland, MS
Posts: 5,384
My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimminge46 View Post
Nice man. That car was in rough shape. Going to subscribe to that! Car is coming together great.

Why do they suck? Because they have a rev limit? The car will just be a daily driver.
I have a ETA Motor with a Head Swap Plenty of Fast for me
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use