E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
lrcreamer

My Ride: bmw330ci
replacement mesh for windscreen

where can i purchase replacment mesh for my bmw windscreen deflector
lrcreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
SMUUUUUV
///Motorcepts ///Maintained

My Ride: '02 330 Vert-'06 4.4
Not sure if you can buy that mesh separately.
SMUUUUUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:17 PM   #3
Deox

My Ride: '06 M3 Vert
i had an office chair that needed to be reupholstered so i bought a few yards of what appears to be the same mesh at the local office chair store. it might be worth trying if you cant find anything else. the material i bought was $18 a square yard, so its a relatively cheap fix if it works.

best of luck and tell us what you do / if you find something that works.
Deox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
NorthJersey 3er

My Ride: '03 M3 / '72 2002tii
Not a bad idea^ Don't know if the mesh makes THAT big of a difference. I guess I would assume it does, but hell its cheaper to try it than buying a new windscreen. If you do tackle the project take some diy pics.

co-founder of
euro techniks

NorthJersey 3er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
E46DrEaMeR

My Ride: 2002 320Cic
i made one for a previous car of mine and used a black moskito net from a camping shop......it did the job and it looked really cool, i was asked many a time where i got it
the second pic is the frame without the mesh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	esc89 (1).jpg
Views:	178
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	434901   Click image for larger version

Name:	spoiler1.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	434903  

Last edited by E46DrEaMeR; 01-31-2012 at 05:06 PM.
E46DrEaMeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:37 PM   #6
three30cic

My Ride: 330ci/m3
Send a message via ICQ to three30cic
How is the existing mesh held into the screen? If you get new mesh, do you have a plan on how to attach it?
three30cic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
E46DrEaMeR, gotta love the dishwasher sticker!!

Great ideas on changing the mesh.

I also think there are some ebay guys that repair the BMW rear window shades for the 5 & 7 series cars. Not sure if this is similar material and how much??

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
E46DrEaMeR

My Ride: 2002 320Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
e46dreamer, gotta love the dishwasher sticker!
Old 12-08-2012, 08:42 PM   #9
fmzip

My Ride: 2001 330cic & 530i
I am going to figure this out once and for all!

I have a 128i windscreen that I am going to dissect! Could be a costly project, wish me luck!

Last edited by fmzip; 12-08-2012 at 09:26 PM.
fmzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #10
fmzip

So I replaced the mesh!

Step one:

For ease of assembly take the two halves of the windscreen apart. It will make it much easier to handle while reinstalling the new mesh later on. If you can't figure this part out, skip this project all together Next, starting at one corner of the windscreen, pry out the rubber stripping carefully with a small screwdriver. It's a bit difficult to grab it with your fingers at first, but once you have it started it pulls right out!

Step two:

The fabric......I spent countless hours searching for fabric. The choices are endless once you have an idea of the keywords to look for. If you want to choose your own, you can get a sample pack here: http://www.seattlefabrics.com/mesh.html. Unfortunately it will cost you $20, $15 in shipping for $4 worth of fabric samples. Whatever you choose, make sure the mesh is not stretchable and UV resistant.

What I ended up using was a much smaller mesh. It cost me $8.81 from Amazon and is enough to do both top and bottom of the windscreen. It's No-See-Um netting by Equinox. The mesh has a slight sheen and is not flat in color like the factory one. I actually like it better.

http://www.amazon.com/Equinox-LIB146...squito+netting

Step three:

If you ever replaced a window screen at your house, this works the exact same way. You really can't screw this up. The only thing that can go wrong is ending up with wrinkles in your windscreen which can be fixed be redoing what you've just done as described below.....

With the help of a partner, lay the mesh over the windscreen. Don't worry about the wrinkles in the fabric, you will be able to pull it tight so they won't be noticed.

Start in one corner, directly across from you and your partner at the shortest sides of the windscreen. Have you partner hold the fabric tight over one end of the windscreen while you hold it tight on the opposite side. Work slowly, stretch and pull the fabric as you go to avoid creases and wrinkles, while beginning to push the rubber stripping back in little by little. These is definitely a 4 hand operation to make life easy, hence the inability to snap any pics!

Step 4:

Once the mesh is back in, take a sharp Exacto, and I mean sharp Exacto, and carefully trim the excess off. You will find it easier to trim if you provide tension on the excess fabric as the point of the Exacto is slicing through the fabric. I actually kept the very tip on the Exacto sliding on the windscreen frame just under the rubber stripping. Just be patient in the final step here, as one slip of the blade and you are starting all over!

I ended up just doing the top of the windscreen as described and was ecstatic with the end result!

From start to finish, I would say this is a good 1 hour project. A bit tedious but it is not hard. If I was to charge to do this, I would say it's a $100 bill per side for my time. I only throw that out there if someone really can't tackle this. It's something I'd rather not be doing but I'd be happy to help someone out

I will post some pics later today of the actual fabric as you can't see the the difference on the windscreen at a distance.

Here's a pic of the end result. The top piece has been replaced. It only looks lighter/clearer as it is not against the carpet like the bottom. I would say there is increased visibility with no reduction of windscreening. The holes on the no-see-um mesh are super small and it's very tough fabric, so tough you need a sharp Exacto to cut it....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winds.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	481968  

Last edited by fmzip; 12-13-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #11
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
Awesome job, great DIY!

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #12
fmzip

Thanks John,

Someone had to try it, glad I could pull it off. The factory windscreen is so over priced, can't see having to buy a new one because the mesh gets cut or faded.

A lot of time invested in online searching and local searching for fabric. Hope this helps someone else!

BTW, you cannot dye the existing mesh if yours is faded., tried that on the scrap piece. Fabric dye will not adhere to it......

Last edited by fmzip; 12-13-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #13
fmzip

Here's a close up and comparison of the materials

The finer one is purchased fabric