E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #21
tootall90

My Ride: 323i
Hmm well i think ill just take a look for myself then, although youre post did put me at ease. Thats one thing forums are really good at, getting people paranoid i guess. You see a post about a certain problem and you think its very common. Like when theres an salmonela outbreak at taco beel or something everyone freaks but its only a small population that its actually affecting.

As far as clumping sounds coming from the rear there havent been any significant ones that i recall

Last edited by tootall90; 01-11-2012 at 08:21 AM.
tootall90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #22
ashpelham

My Ride: 2005 325Ci
As a new BMW owner, this kind of a list makes people nervous. Still, I'd rather have the list and be aware that these are things that have to be replaced or repaired eventually. But, as a long time Japanese car driver, I was used to performing virtually only oil changes and the minimum. Once that car hit 200k, stuff started falling off. The transmission in my 99 Accord automatic had been slipping since 85k miles, which was a known recall that wasn't issued till I was past the mileage.

So, the point of my post is that all cars require a lot more than just doing oil changes and putting in gas. I believe owners of higher end brands like BMW, Mercedes, and then the high end Japanese brands, Acura and Lexus, will likely do more for their cars because of the investment at stake. A lot of this list has to do with the comfort and performance of the car, and aren't issues that will leave the car D.S.R. (dead on side of the road). But some are. Overheating is an instant killer. That's water pumps, radiators, and belts.
ashpelham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #23
GT172I

My Ride: 2004 330Ci, 335is
You forgot window regulators!
Old 01-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #24
cjccww

My Ride: 2014 wrx, 2001 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT172I View Post
You forgot window regulators!
too true! ive replaced 5 of them so far!!

btw this is just what i needed! i vote for sticky!!
cjccww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #25
MadChemist

My Ride: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Hots View Post
But seriously though. You cant find a single forum member on here that hasn't done any one of these repairs to his/her car..
I myself replaced $3000 worth of parts in 1.5 years
I am up to $2000 and it has only been four months. The previous owner failed at car maintenance. I still haven't finished my list of stuff to do before I can even do the fun mods. Good list of items to watch for on this thread!
MadChemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #26
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
upto $1500 in 4 months here. The car is well maintained by PO, but things do break. RTAB are next on my list after I do the brake job.

OP, you forgot the moonroof. I know, because I have issues with the moonroof lol. That repair can wait till spring though.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:06 PM   #27
BimProject

My Ride: '02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
upto $1500 in 4 months here. The car is well maintained by PO, but things do break. RTAB are next on my list after I do the brake job.

OP, you forgot the moonroof. I know, because I have issues with the moonroof lol. That repair can wait till spring though.
Upto 1500 here too. I still got the suspension to do.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:48 PM   #28
silbergrau_zhp

My Ride: 2003 330 ZHP 6sp
A couple of others to add to the list...

FWIW, After 2 BMWs over 15 years (both bought new), and 3 failed window regulators, I have found that if you don't shut your door with the window half way open, or worse yet moving, but rather only close the door with the window fully up/down, the regulators last. This may just be luck, but it seems to have worked for me. Think about it.

Vanos seals.

Oil Filter Housing Gasket.

CCV upgrade/replacement with new dipstick tube.

DISA is pretty high up on the list of high fail rate components.

Tail light ground circuit fix (recall on this).

Sunroof - what a disaster that design is.

Door lock.

Last edited by silbergrau_zhp; 01-15-2012 at 11:54 PM.
silbergrau_zhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:07 AM   #29
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
I like your additions

If you don't mind I'll incorporate a few into the master list so all will have the most complete list available.
But isn't the CCV also known as the oil separator which is already on the list?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silbergrau_zhp View Post
FWIW, After 2 BMWs over 15 years (both bought new), and 3 failed window regulators, I have found that if you don't shut your door with the window half way open, or worse yet moving, but rather only close the door with the window fully up/down, the regulators last. This may just be luck, but it seems to have worked for me. Think about it.

Vanos seals.

Oil Filter Housing Gasket.

CCV upgrade/replacement with new dipstick tube.

DISA is pretty high up on the list of high fail rate components.

Tail light ground circuit fix (recall on this).

Sunroof - what a disaster that design is.

Door lock.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:14 AM   #30
silbergrau_zhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
If you don't mind I'll incorporate a few into the master list so all will have the most complete list available.
But isn't the CCV also known as the oil separator which is already on the list?
Sure.

Here is an excellent thread on common leaks that you may also want to reference.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=882732
Old 01-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #31
E46er75

My Ride: 323i Vert, 330xi
I have read a lot about how much people have spent or might need to spend on repairs to there BMW's and I have to laugh

The reason for my laughter is simple. I'm 36 years old and was brought up in a american car family "chevy's". (yeah i know that's pretty funny too) but in my lifetime i have spent WAY too much in repairs on Chevy's. I cannot for the life of find a reason to why I was brainwashed to believe in them.

Anyways, I have owned chevy (obviously) Toyota,VW,Audi and now finally a BMW. Out of all the cars I have owned the VW/Audi and BMW have proven to me that with regular maintenance these cars will ALWAYS be superior in reliability and performance.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that regardless of the potential list of concerns that a E46 might have, they will never be a chevy! The list I could make for issues on them would far exceed the limits of this forum! I do thank american cars for helping me learn week after week on how to fix and deal with repairs!
E46er75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:29 PM   #32
Hrvat

My Ride: 02 Imola Red M3
Suspension components on these cars are worse than Chinese junk. Other than that, solid engines and built well

PM ME FOR FREE SAMPLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by roronoah View Post
so 2004 bmw's dont come with a diff?
Hrvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:36 PM   #33
silbergrau_zhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46er75 View Post
I have read a lot about how much people have spent or might need to spend on repairs to there BMW's and I have to laugh

The reason for my laughter is simple. I'm 36 years old and was brought up in a american car family "chevy's". (yeah i know that's pretty funny too) but in my lifetime i have spent WAY too much in repairs on Chevy's. I cannot for the life of find a reason to why I was brainwashed to believe in them.

Anyways, I have owned chevy (obviously) Toyota,VW,Audi and now finally a BMW. Out of all the cars I have owned the VW/Audi and BMW have proven to me that with regular maintenance these cars will ALWAYS be superior in reliability and performance.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that regardless of the potential list of concerns that a E46 might have, they will never be a chevy! The list I could make for issues on them would far exceed the limits of this forum! I do thank american cars for helping me learn week after week on how to fix and deal with repairs!
Well, if you think your chevy's were funny, my family's Fiats were HILARIOUS!

The E46 has some design weaknesses (i.e. CCV) just like most cars do. After enjoying my car for 150,000 miles, overall I am very pleased with the reliability and availability of my car. Some of the atypical maintenance is laborious, but if done properly, it is a great car. If you don't want to do maintenance, don't own an 8-yr old car w/ 150K miles on it. Just buy a disposable car.

Now some of the Lexus, Acura, etc. have impressively low costs of ownership, and I am pleased to say that the US cars are getting better.

Last edited by silbergrau_zhp; 01-21-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:41 PM   #34
Stinger9

One could argue about the cooling system vulnerabilities too. Imagine if BMW had never used plastic impellers or supplied ET's that burst. We'd have nothing to talk about here.
But anything on the suspension can be replaced with superior aftermarket parts like Meyle, KONI, and Powerflex.

Think back to the days when gov mandates did not layer our cars with so many extra parts which seem to be the very same ones that give us so much trouble.
Emissions make necessary the CVV, O2 sensors, air pumps, in tank fuel pumps, etc. Did not have to worry about any of these in the old days. Cars were simple and the engine compartment used to have lots more empty space.

And my latest pet peeve is that you can't now buy a new car without TPMS. No accident that it has the PMS acronym within.
Anyway, this mandate has me investigating assembling what they call 'the bomb' to work around this system. Now aftermarket wheels will require and extra set of monitors and labor associated with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrvat View Post
Suspension components on these cars are worse than Chinese junk. Other than that, solid engines and built well

Last edited by Stinger9; 01-21-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:41 PM   #35
E46er75

I agree US cars are getting better, but only because the are being forced to focus on reliability due to poor sales and track records. I'm not a US car hater, just have been burned way too much on them. I'm just hoping BMW keeps the plants and engineering facilities they current have and doesn't move them fully to India. VW revealed a prototype "POLO" which is fully engineered and built from India and it is a disgrace and insult to Volkswagen....
Old 01-22-2012, 12:06 AM   #36
TexFinn

My Ride: 01 Hellrot 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46er75 View Post
I guess what i'm trying to say is that regardless of the potential list of concerns that a E46 might have, they will never be a chevy! The list I could make for issues on them would far exceed the limits of this forum!
Kind of interesting to hear. And probably the wrong thread to start elaborating, but anyway...

I've owned A LOT of American cars (GM's, Fords and unfortunately Mopars) during the 15 years I've been here and the fact is that none of them needed coolant system overhauls every 60K miles, or so. Nor did they need control arms, bushings etc. every 60K miles, either.

The most I've ever had to do with any domestic brand I've ever owned was to rebuild the rear end on an 05 Expedition at about 130K miles. Mopars excluded, but I learned my lesson quickly and haven't looked their way ever since.

My 03 Silverado has almost 163K miles right now and, in addition to a couple of brake jobs and regular maintenance, the only thing it has ever needed was a new MAF a couple of years ago. No cooling system overhauls etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love the E46 we have, as well as the two MBs, but they sure need A LOT more preventive maintenance than any domestic I've ever had.
03 Chevy Silverado RCSB 5.3
TexFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:38 AM   #37
Stinger9

+1 on all you say and think.
And even if Mopars never needed a single repair, I'd still not take one for free because they just feel so darn cheesy to drive. I'd not be proud if I were them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexFinn View Post
Kind of interesting to hear. And probably the wrong thread to start elaborating, but anyway...

I've owned A LOT of American cars (GM's, Fords and unfortunately Mopars) during the 15 years I've been here and the fact is that none of them needed coolant system overhauls every 60K miles, or so. Nor did they need control arms, bushings etc. every 60K miles, either.

The most I've ever had to do with any domestic brand I've ever owned was to rebuild the rear end on an 05 Expedition at about 130K miles. Mopars excluded, but I learned my lesson quickly and haven't looked their way ever since.

My 03 Silverado has almost 163K miles right now and, in addition to a couple of brake jobs and regular maintenance, the only thing it has ever needed was a new MAF a couple of years ago. No cooling system overhauls etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love the E46 we have, as well as the two MBs, but they sure need A LOT more preventive maintenance than any domestic I've ever had.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:41 PM   #38
BMWBMX'er

My Ride: '00 323i
I've owned a 240 series Volvo, a '96 Honda Prelude, a 1966 Chevrolet c10 pick-up and a '91 Subaru Legacy and I currently own a 2000 323i and have NEVER seen a laundry-list of problems/issues to expect like I have for my 323. Having just purchased it the week before Thanksgiving, I've already run into the "common" wet rear floorboards, a massive power-steering leak and a cracked radiator neck. Now don't get me wrong, I love the car, but I would imagine that, for the difference in class/cache that comes along with the brand I would expect a little more by way of reliability/number of headaches. Thankfully, being a mechanic, I'll at least be able to avoid labor costs...
BMWBMX'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:20 PM   #39
E46er75

Interesting, i have owned my current 330 and 325 and a valve cover gasket on one and a thermostat on the other. Both cars have been driven 40,000 plus miles per and have been nothing but solid. I guess i'm just lucky with my current cars.... and i probably just jinxed myself with this post!
Old 01-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #40
E46er75

I do find it hard to believe that anyone had a Mopar that didn't need a repair. That's a first...