E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

View Poll Results: What kind of maintenance should I expect for a 2001 BMW 330 with 55,00 miles on it?
Suspension 2 66.67%
Transmission 0 0%
Differential 0 0%
leakage 2 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 11:43 PM   #1
DLJ

My Ride: GM ASTRA
Question Need Help Buying a 2001 BMW 330 Top in Brazil

Hello folks, I`m interested in buying a pre-owned BMW 330 Top in Brazil. I`d really appreciate some input from members regarding some concerns I have once the cost for this 10 year old car and maintenance is very expensive in this country.

I`ll be paying around US$ 30,000 for a 2001 BMW 330 Top, the one I have in mind is 55,000 miles made in Germany, armored in Brazil and it had the suspension changed for the same kind used by BMW for factory armored 330`s according to the seller. The armor adds around 250LB/150 kg to the vehicle weight (maybe even more). Price for a brand new 320 would be around US$ 140,000, so I`d have to stick with an old one.

I test drove a standard 1999 BMW 323 and just feel in love with it but it had rear axle and front suspension noise, not a bullet but quite fast.
Drove another 2001 armored 330 which was too slow (not sure why but did not like at all) now this one I have in mind I haven`t driven yet but seems to be in good shape.

Questions; I know there were 3 models for this car in Brazil, Top, Sport and Motorsport, (besides de M3 too rare and expensive) the one I found is the Top 330 (is it the basic?).

1 - What kind of trouble or maintenance should I be looking for once it`s got 55,000 miles on it? Anything to look for in particular? For that kind of car, I think any maintenance should be done in the BMW dealer and that is extremely costly...

2 - I love fast cars and I know the 330 is not a rocket when compared with audi A6 4.2 quattro which is almost the same price for the year. My options would be stick to the most common here in this country like a 2011 corolla or civic for US$ 38,000 or get a 2001/2 BMW 3 series or perhaps an A-6 for almost the same price but what would be the best option?

3 - What really changes for the 5 series talking about the 540, is it a lot better than the 330? I really like the old 330 outside design better than the old 540... Is the 2001 330 outdated compared to the new models?

For this kind of car in my country, price for sale in a few years will have to be 1/3 because there is no buyers at all so I am looking for some that is not going to cost me much in terms of maintenance.

I know it`s a lot of questions, thanks for any information,

DLJ
DLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:52 AM   #2
hcardona111793

My Ride: 2004 325i
Armored? badazz. is it a necessity there?
hcardona111793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
DLJ

My Ride: GM ASTRA
Most

Most cars worth over US$80,000 are armored in this country, when they get old, it may translate into extra depreciation.
DLJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
330, cost, maintenace