E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 02:31 AM   #41
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
*There are differences between the 325e and 325i engines. Although both models have engines from the BMW M20 family, the 325e has more displacement than the 325i (2.7L vs. 2.5L), but less horsepower (121 vs 167). The 325e's stroker motor gives it the larger torque output, it has a higher torque rating than the 325i (170 vs 164). The "e" has a low 4800 RPM redline but basically a flat powerband and a tall 2.93 diff (2.79 earlier models) to help increased gas mileage. The sportier 325i has a shorter 3.73 diff ratio (4.10 in automatics) and a higher revving engine (redline at 6700 RPM). Compared to the 325e, the 325i has a hotter cam, dual valve springs, larger valves, larger intake manifold, larger throttle body, larger exhaust manifolds, dual pipe exhaust system.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:05 PM   #42
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
I must say that I <3 the eta engine for a DD, or a cruiser. It has usable torque, even off of idle. But fun, it is not. I still carved up some mountain roads in mine.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #43
Pierce1

My Ride: 03 330xi
So Tomoyer, which one do you like driving in the snow? The 325ix, or the 330xi? I had an ix and drive a 330xi, and boy do I miss my ix in the snow!
Pierce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:17 PM   #44
tomoyer

My Ride: 03 325xi, 03 330xi
Send a message via Yahoo to tomoyer
Truthfully, the 1989 325ix is much more fun and goes better in the snow than the 325xi or 330xi. My 1991 318is is also a fun car to drive in the snow with 4 Blizzaks on it.
tomoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #45
bimminge46

My Ride: 323Ci, 89 325i ETA
So i ended up buying the car for a OK price. The owner told me it was a 2.7L with a I head. Redline starts around 4250k then ends at 5k I typed in the VIN on real OEM and it states its a 325i 2.5L. Is there any visual differences between the 2.7 and the 2.5? I will post pictures tomorrow.

E30 in progress.

Last edited by bimminge46; 01-22-2012 at 06:30 PM.
bimminge46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:43 PM   #46
lcoleman

Hard to describe the differences, they are subtle. Check the casting number on the head, underneath the intake manifold. I can't remember where the ones on the block are, but that will tell you.

An I head swap should be revving to the I redline at 6250 if I remember right? I would sort that car quickly. Sounds like a half-finished swap. Post pics, and look at the number on the DME in the top of the glovebox.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:56 PM   #47
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimminge46 View Post
So i ended up buying the car for a great price. The owner told me it was a 2.7L with a I head. Redline starts around 4250k then ends at 5k I typed in the VIN on real OEM and it states its a 325i 2.5L. Is there any visual differences between the 2.7 and the 2.5? I will post pictures tomorrow.
Check passenger side where the filter is at. 2.7l will not have a oil cooler.

Also, can check the water pump pulley. Check the diameter of the pulley.

Last edited by TrippinBimmer; 01-21-2012 at 09:57 PM.
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:02 PM   #48
bimminge46

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
Hard to describe the differences, they are subtle. Check the casting number on the head, underneath the intake manifold. I can't remember where the ones on the block are, but that will tell you.

An I head swap should be revving to the I redline at 6250 if I remember right? I would sort that car quickly. Sounds like a half-finished swap. Post pics, and look at the number on the DME in the top of the glovebox.
The tach says only 5k so I wouldn't be able to tell if it goes over 6k. RealOEM says 325i 2.5L, I will check those areas. thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post
Check passenger side where the filter is at. 2.7l will not have a oil cooler.

Also, can check the water pump pulley. Check the diameter of the pulley.
He said it had a oil cooler. I will check tomorrow for that thanks.

E30 in progress.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:34 PM   #49
Pierce1

My Ride: 03 330xi
I believe the rev limit is due to the long stroke of the 2.7, not the head.
Pierce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:11 AM   #50
TrippinBimmer

Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce1 View Post
I believe the rev limit is due to the long stroke of the 2.7, not the head.
False info. It's due to having single valve springs. When high rev the valves will float. I did a I head swap and can rev 6.75k no problem.

Takes some pics of the motor and I can tell u
Old 01-22-2012, 01:42 AM   #51
lcoleman

^Exactly. To further complicate things, if he swapped the head and DME but left the eta coding plug in the cluster, it will indicate 5K rpms when you're actually doing 6500 or whatever.

Read head and block castings, and the part # on the DME.

The oil cooler doesn't do much, but it's not a bad thing to have.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #52
bimminge46

Quote:
^Exactly. To further complicate things, if he swapped the head and DME but left the eta coding plug in the cluster, it will indicate 5K rpms when you're actually doing 6500 or whatever.

Read head and block castings, and the part # on the DME.

The oil cooler doesn't do much, but it's not a bad thing to have.
There is a oil cooler below the radiator. I noticed the radiator is leaking coolant. hopefully its just a hose or drain plug o-ring. Its also leaking oil from the front of the head. The wiring seems half ass. I'll post pictures here soon. Going to get a new battery.

E30 in progress.

Last edited by bimminge46; 01-22-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:37 PM   #53
bimminge46

Trying to figure out why they ran the small blue hose from the fuel rail

E30 in progress.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #54
lcoleman

Ok, that's probably just an i. You'll have to find the casting number on the block to know if the bottom end is 2.5 or 2.7.

Other than the added-on fuse beside the brake booster, the wiring looks unmolested at a glance. I'd figure out where that wire leads to.

Those 3 blue hoses do not look like anything from the factory that I've ever seen. I would find out where those go ASAP, especially the one that's just open.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #55
bimminge46

Quote:
Ok, that's probably just an i. You'll have to find the casting number on the block to know if the bottom end is 2.5 or 2.7.

Other than the added-on fuse beside the brake booster, the wiring looks unmolested at a glance. I'd figure out where that wire leads to.

Those 3 blue hoses do not look like anything from the factory that I've ever seen. I would find out where those go ASAP, especially the one that's just open.
I'm hoping its still stock. (325i) Where is the casting located on the block? The double temp sensor on the radiator is also cut. (wires) I believe that is for the AC correct? or is that a aux fan sensor? I will try and figure out what those blue hoses are for. I want to rip them off and make it factory but it's hard because I don't have a diagram for the car. I hope the oil and coolant leak are an easy/cheap fix. I want to have this thing running top in the summer. Thanks for all your help.

E30 in progress.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:14 PM   #56
lcoleman

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1758288
Mirror and light are your friend here. Don't forget to check which DME you have, although I'm betting you have the i one.

Honestly, my guess is that you have the original 2.5 and an eta cluster...which probably means the car has way more than 130K miles. At least, I'm 90% sure that's an i head. And having the oil cooler...

The radiator may be a two-plug replacement. Some cars have two plugs, some have one. I can't remember what the 2nd one if for, A/C fan sounds right. Does the A/C work, by some miracle?

Just follow the hoses and post where they end at. Or, if you can't describe it, post a pic.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:57 PM   #57
TrippinBimmer

You have a I (2.5) intake manifold. Now dme number would be nice now
Old 01-22-2012, 11:10 PM   #58
kaboo0m

My Ride: 04 325xi
Send a message via AIM to kaboo0m
you have a 1988 seta e30 with a plastic bumper swap (essentially a late model and the last to the ETA). very desirable to us DD guys without having to settle for diving board cars. They were quite rare out here in California.

"In order to meet federal emissions standards in it's final year of production, the '88 325 receives a 325i cylinder head, exhaust system, and engine management control with self-diagnostic capabilities (Motronic 1.1) as well as special pistons, (lowering compression slightly to 8.8:1), a slightly larger intake manifold and a revised valve cover. These changes bump up the eta's power rating slightly (to 127) and a 6000 RPM tachometer is fitted. The cooling system is overhauled and the expansion tank is shifted to the driver side. A new oil dipstick and fuel cap are used, and the fuel tank is enlarged to 16.5 gallons.

On the inside, the window regulator is redesigned (after 2/88) and the manual power window override is deleted. The external fader switch disappears, the hazard switch is revised and swaps positions with the defrost switch, and the power window circuit breaker is also moved onto the center console. The instrument cluster warning lights are revised with slightly larger lettering and "BRAKE FLUID" replacing "BRAKE". On the rear shelf, the center high mounted stop lamp (CHMSL) becomes more aerodynamic despite not being exposed to high amounts of drag. The door panels are also revised with the textured ribbing no longer used. 1988 model year cars also received a cosmetic upgrade that include shorter aluminum bumpers, revised front valance with integrated foglights, a lower rear apron, larger rear taillights with horizontally mounted reverse lights, and a lower rear fender line."

Last edited by kaboo0m; 01-22-2012 at 11:17 PM.
kaboo0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:32 PM   #59
TrippinBimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboo0m View Post
you have a 1988 seta e30 with a plastic bumper swap (essentially a late model and the last to the ETA). very desirable to us DD guys without having to settle for diving board cars. They were quite rare out here in California.

"In order to meet federal emissions standards in it's final year of production, the '88 325 receives a 325i cylinder head, exhaust system, and engine management control with self-diagnostic capabilities (Motronic 1.1) as well as special pistons, (lowering compression slightly to 8.8:1), a slightly larger intake manifold and a revised valve cover. These changes bump up the eta's power rating slightly (to 127) and a 6000 RPM tachometer is fitted. The cooling system is overhauled and the expansion tank is shifted to the driver side. A new oil dipstick and fuel cap are used, and the fuel tank is enlarged to 16.5 gallons.

On the inside, the window regulator is redesigned (after 2/88) and the manual power window override is deleted. The external fader switch disappears, the hazard switch is revised and swaps positions with the defrost switch, and the power window circuit breaker is also moved onto the center console. The instrument cluster warning lights are revised with slightly larger lettering and "BRAKE FLUID" replacing "BRAKE". On the rear shelf, the center high mounted stop lamp (CHMSL) becomes more aerodynamic despite not being exposed to high amounts of drag. The door panels are also revised with the textured ribbing no longer used. 1988 model year cars also received a cosmetic upgrade that include shorter aluminum bumpers, revised front valance with integrated foglights, a lower rear apron, larger rear taillights with horizontally mounted reverse lights, and a lower rear fender line."
Unless it had a intake Manifold swap and etc. SETA has a different intake Mani.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:37 PM   #60
kaboo0m

My Ride: 04 325xi
Send a message via AIM to kaboo0m
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post
Unless it had a intake Manifold swap and etc. SETA has a different intake Mani.
touche. but wouldn't be surprised if they just slapped an I head or exhaust on it since the head was similar to the m20b25 head in many ways but like you mentioned, the DME number would prove a lot
kaboo0m is offline   Reply With Quote