E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 01:20 AM   #41
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
ah, so besides the gains of working without cats and sap, what else is eu2 good for?
Snik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:22 AM   #42
spencers

My Ride: 2006 330i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
ah, so besides the gains of working without cats and sap, what else is eu2 good for?
Nothing, really. The EU# refers to european emissions standards. So it's just for allowing/disallowing whatever the laws state.

Look up European emissions standards on Wikipedia for in-depth info.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:28 AM   #43
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
ah... ok... thats what i thought it was, i was just wondering if there was some direct performance benefit.
thank you.
Snik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:51 AM   #44
Bostonbeast

My Ride: 2009 Yamaha R6
Wait doesn't a euro-tune also give you better throttle response and smoother idle? And isn't there a higher top speed limiter?
Bostonbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:54 AM   #45
ac_2007

My Ride: E46 - M3 & 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzam View Post
check:

1. OBD.INI is in your System32 directory as well as /EDIABAS/BIN
2. You added /EDIABAS/BIN to your windows path
3. In the OBD.INI port=COMx (should match what you have in device manager)
4. EDIABAS.INI is correctly edited with diaghead and 192.168.68.1 and port 6801
5. In device settings - Ports - Communications Ports - check that "USE FIFO Buffers" is selected (Also, I believe this should be the same port that your cable is set to)
6. Run /EDIABAS/HARDWARE/OBD/OBDSETUP.EXE and be sure everything is OK

Be sure you can get INPA to run before you tackle GT1/DIS.
Thanks for the reply.

It turned out to be my laptop. Apparently it has a motherboard with master/slave USB ports and I was using the slave. That's the only way I can explain it, think of the USB ports on the back of your desktop having priority over those in the front.

I got INPA and DIS running successfully, even though I edited the OBD.ini to be COM2, and my cable is set to COM1. Weird, I'll change it back to be COM1 as it should be, just curious how both of the programs worked.

Also, once I got into DIS and started fiddling around, I noticed my battery voltage dropped FAST. I was messing around all day using the car battery and it didn't struggle at all until I started doing a diagnosis scan. My Brake, Traction and ABS lights all came on as DIS was doing a scan, I imagine this was because voltage dropped so low? (Cluster test revealed it was 9.5v)
Old 01-23-2012, 02:35 AM   #46
ac_2007

Figured I'll post a few other questions here before attempting the flash.

1) In WinKFP, do you enter the VIN first, and then a list of available DME updates come up? Another thread said the ZUSB prompt comes up first asking you to input last 7 digits of the DME version you want, THEN it asks you for the VIN. Which one is the correct description?

2) How can I reset the Adaptation Values using INPA, is there a guide/tutorial posted? I'm sure its simple, I just want to have all my homework done.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:34 AM   #47
Suseer

My Ride: Cayman S
sub'd
Suseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:50 AM   #48
stevenluczynski

My Ride: Is Steel Blue<3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post

1) In WinKFP, do you enter the VIN first, and then a list of available DME updates come up? Another thread said the ZUSB prompt comes up first asking you to input last 7 digits of the DME version you want, THEN it asks you for the VIN. Which one is the correct description?

2) How can I reset the Adaptation Values using INPA, is there a guide/tutorial posted? I'm sure its simple, I just want to have all my homework done.
For #2,
Select e46 and go under engine
Choose the engine type
Select adaptation values( this will most likely be in German but still looks the same)
Hit reset all
Than go to gearbox and do the same
Old 01-23-2012, 05:54 AM   #49
stevenluczynski

Quote:

And for number one, just follow the step by step guide on bimmerforums. I'll post a link when I get home.
Also I don't believe the winkfp that came from eBay contains all the necessary daten files, to solve this I just downloaded them from a different source, again I will post how to add all the files when I get home
Old 01-23-2012, 06:38 AM   #50
ac_2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenluczynski View Post
And for number one, just follow the step by step guide on bimmerforums. I'll post a link when I get home.
Also I don't believe the winkfp that came from eBay contains all the necessary daten files, to solve this I just downloaded them from a different source, again I will post how to add all the files when I get home
Correct, it did not come with the E46 daten. Here is the link: https://rapidshare.com/#!download|48...87234FEB4B|0|0

Now the only problem remaining is found in Step 9 of this guide: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...4#post21164324

I'm not too sure about editing the "SGIDC.AS2" file, but that's the exact error screen I have that needs to be eliminated.

Also, for anyone else following this thread, I'll add an important quote on how to setup WinKFP for the flash
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm
Extract the SP-Daten-E46.ZIP from one of the Progman DVDs. Start up WinKFP, go to "Import/Export" and point it to the DATA folder inside the one you extracted. After a couple minutes that should complete. Now go to that E46 folder, and find the "SGDAT" folder. Copy the contents of that to C:\EC-APPS\NFS\SGDAT. Go back to the E46 folder and go to "ECU". Copy the contents to C:\EDIABAS\Ecu.

Restart WinKFP. Click "configuration". Make sure "fast baudrate" is unchecked. Make sure "Programming Voltage", "Show Programming Voltage", "Test Checksum", "activate Bootsectorupdate", "UIF Write after data", "UIF Write after Program", and "UIF Write in Comfort Mode" are checked.

Now go to comfort mode. Click "Enter ZUSB". Type in 7837793 and click okay. Click enter VIN and type in the full 17 digits. Hit program. Click okay when it asks you if you're sure. And now wait. After the first stage flashes, it'll ask you againj if you want to update. Click okay. The second stage will flash, and then it'll be done. You should now go into INPA or DIS to reset the adaptions, and then restart your engine.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:10 AM   #51
stevenluczynski

Quote:
Correct, it did not come with the E46 daten. Here is the link: https://rapidshare.com/#!download|48...87234FEB4B|0|0

Now the only problem remaining is found in Step 9 of this guide: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...4#post21164324

I'm not too sure about editing the "SGIDC.AS2" file, but that's the exact error screen I have that needs to be eliminated.

Also, for anyone else following this thread, I'll add an important quote on how to setup WinKFP for the flash
Thanks!
Old 01-23-2012, 08:00 AM   #52
Suseer

Could I ask a favor of you? Could you make an ISO image of the disc included from the ebay seller? I ordered the same cable last year to code, and have since lost my disc of software/instructions.

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2012, 08:06 AM   #53
ac_2007

No need. All BMW software is posted on an open FTP server.

I won't post any links here, PM for details.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:09 AM   #54
Suseer

Ah yes, I remeber now. I'll PM yah.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:13 AM   #55
shannon1

My Ride: 2001, 318i
Cheers.

shannon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:18 AM   #56
ac_2007

For future reference if anyone needs the USB drivers, this is what was included on my DIS Disc: (I did not require them for Win 7)

http://www.2shared.com/file/rU7CAcFM/USB_drivers.html
Old 01-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #57
ac_2007

EU2 is flashed and running on my DME!

Lets get one thing cleared up. There is a lot of fluff on the CD that comes with the Ebay package if all you're looking to do is flash the DME. You only need two programs, the communication interface, and the E46 "daten":

-EDIABAS
-WinKFP 5.1.6 (no earlier version than this)
-INPA 5+

I successfully loaded my EU2 version following the instructions in the quote I posted above. It was a pain communicating with the DME and the Ebay seller's software kept giving me troubles.

So this is what I did, I deleted everything out of frustration, and started fresh:

1) Loaded BMW Standard Tools 2.5.1.0, the most updated version.
2) Next, I installed the EDIABAS protocol, WinKFP and INPA only.
3) After this, just download the E46 daten files and load them into WinKFP using these instructions: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1590483
4) Flash using the appropriate settings and a battery charger (once again, follow the tips from TerraPhantm's quote I posted above)
5) Clear adaptations***

After the flash completed its two cycles and I received the confirmation "Programming: OK" message, I disconnected my laptop from the car and took out the key for 5 minutes. Coming back, I expected the car to run rough because adaptations*** had not yet been cleared by me. Nevertheless I wanted to crank it and see what would happen..

Strong crank after strong crank (the car was still on the battery charger at this point), the engine would not start. Nothing, not at all. I thought 2 things could be possible: 1) The DME flash version I used was inappropriate for my car, or 2) The adaptations*** really do need to be cleared.

So I fired up INPA and through a mountain of error messages I cleared all adaptations. I give it another crank.. nothing!. So at this point I start to feel a brick forming in my bowels, since I followed all instructions to a T. I get a random idea to load up PA Soft 1.4 and read any error codes in the DME. They come up... hmm nothing out of the ordinary. I clear them and try to start again, no dice!

Then I notice an option in the DME section of PA Soft: "DME-EWS Adaptations". I click it, and 20 seconds later the message it said adaptations successful. Now I give it a 4th cranking attempt... she lives!. Long story short, I'm not sure how to explain what just happened since I cleared adaptation in INPA and the car would still not fire up. PA Soft saved the day once again!

As for the test drive, the car has noticeably more torque from lower RPM, and my CEL for headers is gone! Now I'll just need an SAP block off plate
Old 01-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #58
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Quote:

Also, for anyone else following this thread, I'll add an important quote on how to setup WinKFP for the flash (Terraphtm)

Extract the SP-Daten-E46.ZIP from one of the Progman DVDs. Start up WinKFP, go to "Import/Export" and point it to the DATA folder inside the one you extracted. After a couple minutes that should complete. Now go to that E46 folder, and find the "SGDAT" folder. Copy the contents of that to C:\EC-APPS\NFS\SGDAT. Go back to the E46 folder and go to "ECU". Copy the contents to C:\EDIABAS\Ecu.

Restart WinKFP. Click "configuration". Make sure "fast baudrate" is unchecked. Make sure "Programming Voltage", "Show Programming Voltage", "Test Checksum", "activate Bootsectorupdate", "UIF Write after data", "UIF Write after Program", and "UIF Write in Comfort Mode" are checked.

Now go to comfort mode. Click "Enter ZUSB". Type in 7837793 and click okay. Click enter VIN and type in the full 17 digits. Hit program. Click okay when it asks you if you're sure. And now wait. After the first stage flashes, it'll ask you againj if you want to update. Click okay. The second stage will flash, and then it'll be done. You should now go into INPA or DIS to reset the adaptions, and then restart your engine.
Quote:

Lets get one thing cleared up. There is a lot of fluff on the CD that comes with the Ebay package if all you're looking to do is flash the DME. You only need two programs, the communication interface, and the E46 "daten":

-EDIABAS
-INPA 5+

I successfully loaded my EU2 version following the instructions in the quote I posted above. It was a pain communicating with the DME and the Ebay seller's software kept giving me troubles.

So this is what I did, I deleted everything out of frustration, and started fresh:

3) After this, just download the E46 daten files and load them into WinKFP using these instructions: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1590483
4) Flash using the appropriate settings and a battery charger (once again, follow the tips from TerraPhantm's quote I posted above)
5) Clear adaptations***

After the flash completed its two cycles and I received the confirmation "Programming: OK" message, I disconnected my laptop from the car and took out the key for 5 minutes. Coming back, I expected the car to run rough because adaptations*** had not yet been cleared by me. Nevertheless I wanted to crank it and see what would happen..

Strong crank after strong crank (the car was still on the battery charger at this point), the engine would not start. Nothing, not at all. I thought 2 things could be possible: 1) The DME flash version I used was inappropriate for my car, or 2) The adaptations*** really do need to be cleared.

So I fired up INPA and through a mountain of error messages I cleared all adaptations. I give it another crank.. nothing!. So at this point I start to feel a brick forming in my bowels, since I followed all instructions to a T. I get a random idea to load up PA Soft 1.4 and read any error codes in the DME. They come up... hmm nothing out of the ordinary. I clear them and try to start again, no dice!

Then I notice an option in the DME section of PA Soft: "DME-EWS Adaptations". I click it, and 20 seconds later the message it said adaptations successful. Now I give it a 4th cranking attempt... she lives!. Long story short, I'm not sure how to explain what just happened since I cleared adaptation in INPA and the car would still not fire up. PA Soft saved the day once again!

As for the test drive, the car has noticeably more torque from lower RPM, and my CEL for headers is gone! Now I'll just need an SAP block off plate
thanks for the tips. I am going to save this for a rainy day
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #59
forzam

My Ride: 04 325Ci
AC what year is your E46? I have an 2004 that runs MS45. So I guess I can't flash to the EU version.
forzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #60
stevenluczynski

Quote:

-EDIABAS
-INPA 5+

5) Clear adaptations***

Could you pm me or post where you got the latest BMW standard tools