E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 183 votes, 4.92 average.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #121
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoh View Post
Has anyone who bought PA Soft 1.4 from China disregarded the note on the side of the dongle that says, "Caution: Please use software provided by us only. DON'T use software from others. DON'T update online. If use other software, hardware will be bad, Can't warranty" and downloaded the PA Soft program from www.bmw-scanner.com and used it instead? The software that comes with the dongle and from the official web site both claim to be v1.4.0, but, the version from China is 29k smaller. I'd like to know if the official software works with the Chinese dongle.
Yes, the official software works. I downloaded the software from PA soft (besides the warning of rendering the hardware useless) because the disc that came with the cable was a mini disc and I can't use mini disc in my macbook pro.

As far as piracy, its not piracy you are using the software which is free and hardware you purchased. Its a replica hardware for cheaper price. I am not trying to argue which one is better, but its basically the same hardware, may be of lower quality.

Last edited by trj; 01-21-2012 at 02:15 PM.
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #122
stockgp

My Ride: 1999 323i
will any of these scanners allow you to disable post cat o2 monitoring?
stockgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #123
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveoracing View Post
IM trying to get a software that will work with my 2004 325xi. Will the PA Soft 1.4 work? I want to make some changes but I also need to reset the airbag light. Will this work on my car and will it reset the srs light? Please someone give me a straight answer. I see a couple people in the thread have a 2004 7 series but havent seen any 3 series 04's. Thanks
Yes... It will work...
Old 01-21-2012, 11:10 PM   #124
wjjklj

My Ride: 2009 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveoracing View Post
IM trying to get a software that will work with my 2004 325xi. Will the PA Soft 1.4 work? I want to make some changes but I also need to reset the airbag light. Will this work on my car and will it reset the srs light? Please someone give me a straight answer. I see a couple people in the thread have a 2004 7 series but havent seen any 3 series 04's. Thanks
Yes it will work. I am using this on a 2005 330ci that is my Son's car. It will not work on the E65 7 series which is listed in my profile.

I used it to pair my sons iPhone to the car last night by turning the Bluetooth functions on and finding the pass key.

I am using the software provided by xcar360 but others here say the pa soft software works also. I don't know what differences there is in the software if any.
wjjklj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:07 AM   #125
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjklj View Post
Yes it will work. I am using this on a 2005 330ci that is my Son's car. It will not work on the E65 7 series which is listed in my profile.

I used it to pair my sons iPhone to the car last night by turning the Bluetooth functions on and finding the pass key.

I am using the software provided by xcar360 but others here say the pa soft software works also. I don't know what differences there is in the software if any.
No difference. Also, an E65 requires PA Soft v2.1
Old 01-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #126
wjjklj

My Ride: 2009 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
No difference. Also, an E65 requires PA Soft v2.1
Yes, I need to pick up a version 2.0.1 for my 745i. Do you know if you can register a new battery with it?
wjjklj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #127
ZHPOWER

My Ride: 2003 ZHP
crap! i just got mine in today. plugged it in (in 3 separate xp computers) and it didnt recognize the hardware

I made sure internet connection was off - it did nothing. not sure if the lights have to come on the unit - but it didnt work.

anyone else have this problem? ugh
Old 01-24-2012, 11:46 PM   #128
Bostonbeast

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHPOWER View Post
crap! i just got mine in today. plugged it in (in 3 separate xp computers) and it didnt recognize the hardware

I made sure internet connection was off - it did nothing. not sure if the lights have to come on the unit - but it didnt work.

anyone else have this problem? ugh
Did you have the hardware plugged into the car as well?
Bostonbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:50 PM   #129
ZHPOWER

oh, so it has to be plugged in to the obd port before I do the driver install?
Old 01-24-2012, 11:54 PM   #130
Bostonbeast

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHPOWER View Post
oh, so it has to be plugged in to the obd port before I do the driver install?
Yeah the hardware itself get its power from the car not the computer. So in order for the computer to recognize the hardware, there needs to be power coming from the car's OBD port. Hope that helps.
Bostonbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:09 AM   #131
ZHPOWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonbeast View Post
Yeah the hardware itself get its power from the car not the computer. So in order for the computer to recognize the hardware, there needs to be power coming from the car's OBD port. Hope that helps.
YAY! it works - thanks thanks thanks
Old 01-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #132
mojako

My Ride: bmw
Forgive me if i have been completely clueless. Will this software tell me what the problem is with my abs warning light?
mojako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #133
ac_2007

^ Yes,

And for those who haven't been following the other thread, it can also clear adaptations. The BMW Scanner saved the day when my car wouldn't start after the EU2 DME flash.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #134
mojako

Nice! Thanks for the info
Old 01-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #135
ZHPOWER

I really wish there was a complete manual for all the screens and what/how they affect the car. I know you can search the individual options, but I'd like to have a one-stop shop for PA soft coding...
Old 01-25-2012, 05:02 PM   #136
Kawabob

My Ride: 05 325Ci
Quote:
And for those who haven't been following the other thread, it can also clear adaptations. The BMW Scanner saved the day when my car wouldn't start after the EU2 DME flash.
I got my scanner working with Windows7 32bit. I purchased it from XCar360.com. I want to thank those that started this thread and did all of the research, testing and debugging. We now have a reasonably priced tool to work with.

Bob
Kawabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:55 PM   #137
mojako

lucky me.... my airbag light just lit up.

had it diagnosed here at an indy shop (havent ordered my PA Soft yet), and got this error

My plan is to buy a sensor bypass then reset the error code using the PA Soft. Will this work?
Old 01-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #138
ZHPOWER

i'll have to check tonight.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #139
sepehrz

My Ride: 330 Cic
Quote:
How do you reset adaptations using PA Soft? Which screen? Is it within the DME module?
sepehrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #140
ac_2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojako View Post
lucky me.... my airbag light just lit up.

had it diagnosed here at an indy shop (havent ordered my PA Soft yet), and got this error

My plan is to buy a sensor bypass then reset the error code using the PA Soft. Will this work
?
Yes, it has access to all of your modules. SRS system is one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepehrz View Post
How do you reset adaptations using PA Soft? Which screen? Is it within the DME module?
DME ---> EWS-DME Adaptations (spelling may be a bit different)

Tags
bmw scanner, diagnostic tool, error message, pa soft