E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 07:00 PM   #1
funny677

My Ride: 2005 325ci Conv.
Headlight is driving me NUTS!

Passenger bi-xenon adaptive headlight is my nemesis! Light is out and I can't figure out what could be causing it to be out!

I took both headlights out.
Swapped control unit/ballasts, both work fine.
Checked/swapped the headlight leveling motor control unit next to ballast and those work fine too.
Plugged drivers side headlight into into passenger side and it worked(to rule out if it was the passenger side plugs).
Then plugged passenger headlight into drivers side and IT WORKED!
So the passenger headlight that is my nemesis is actually working when plugged into the driver side plugs!
Put all back together and thought I was done, now that the headlight went on. WRONG!

When I plugged the drivers side headlight in, the passenger side goes out.
No flickering.. Just out.

What the heck could be the problem? I've checked everything I thought!

I think it has to be a lack of electricity going to the passenger headlight when the drivers headlight is on. And I've already checked the ballast!

Please help if you have any ideas. Thank you!
funny677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
See if the pins on the plugs are good.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
your swapping result confirms that you do not have any defective/inop parts in your headlight assembly (ignitors, ballast, bulbs, etc). Therefore, this should be a major relief for you since replacing these parts are super expense.
also great good on confirming that the wireharness of both driver and passenger side is working.

I think the problem is your LCM/LKM (light control module) since this device controls all the lightning function in your car. the good news is that the LCM/LKM will report faults codes if it is being read by BMW specific code readers (not OBDII code reader since OBD2 is just for emission related stuff). So to help you troubleshoot the issue then bring your car to an indy shop for find a local fanatics that has BMW software and have them do a quick LCM diagnostic for you.

I hope this helps. Good luck
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:52 AM   #4
funny677

Hi Solidjake,

I checked the pins and they all seem fine. I took plugs off and put them on a whole bunch of times thinking that maybe one of them was slightly corroded, but the light worked every time. I twisted and pulled the wires a "tiny little" bit to see if there was a loose connection in the plugs or assembly and all checked out.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:10 AM   #5
funny677

Flash, I hope it is the LCM inexpensive fix. I have one addition that I forgot to mention. When I was swapping everything and checking everything, both lights were on for a few minutes, but the red headlight warning light on the dash was STILL on when both headlights were working. Does this help the diagnosis? I'm really hoping its the LCM.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by funny677 View Post
Flash, I hope it is the LCM inexpensive fix. I have one addition that I forgot to mention. When I was swapping everything and checking everything, both lights were on for a few minutes, but the red headlight warning light on the dash was STILL on when both headlights were working. Does this help the diagnosis? I'm really hoping its the LCM.

the warning lights on the dash is a tell tell sign that you might have a defective LCM.

LCM is very expensive $200-500 depending on the model (rain, auto lights, xenon, adaptive, etc). You also need to get the LCM coded for your car (vin and mileage).

you can get a used LCM on ebay but this will trigger a mileage tamper light on your instrument cluster.

also...since you have a 2005 model, older LCM version will not work for you (adaptative vs non adapative headlights).

what I recommend is to find a local fanatics and have them swap out your LCM and see if your headlights will turn on. the LCM version doesn't need to be an exact fit (auto lights, rain sensor, adaptive). Just make sure the person you are swapping has xenon and that is it.

removing the LCM is extremely easy and will only take you 5-10 mins. there is just a single large electrical plug (40-60 pins). You need to remove your dash trim to get access to the 2-3 screws that are securing the LCM to your dash.

again...if you dont want to waste money on going to the dealer or indy shop to get a diagnostic then the best bet is swap out your LCM with a friend. if you lived closer I will be more happy to help you out. heck, I even have a brand new (uncoded) LCM in my garage.

I hope this helps. good luck
Old 01-25-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
funny677

Going to get it checked tomorrow or Friday by a bmw computer and see whats up. I will report back here after I get the diagnosis.
If it is the LCM, is there a way to actually fix the broken LCM if I have an electrician or geek squad or someone like that take a look at it?
I fixed the moonroof electrical switch on my old mitsubishi, but I'm no electrician or computer guy and this LCM sounds way more complicated than an electrical switch! But can fixing it be done do you think?
Old 01-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #8
flashmeow
Banned User

update?
Old 01-27-2012, 12:12 AM   #9
JaYaRe

My Ride: goes, Brroom Brooom
mine was acting too a while ago... i bought a HID kit and it started working..
Old 01-27-2012, 02:00 AM   #10
stockmwk

My Ride: 2000 323i sedan
not sure if i missed it in skimming through the posts, just a cautious reminder to disconnect the battery when you're working with the headlights
Old 01-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #11
funny677

I'm putting it on the computer later today. I'm going to guess at possible fuse box issue, LCM(expensive fix) or I screwed something up when splicing into my accessories wire for my angel eyes. I'll also eventually be posting a rather long post on what to do and what not to with angel eyes ordering and installing nightmare. Hopefully can save someone some time. Like 6 months to do a 5hr job. lol
Will post results and thank you for the help!
Old 01-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #12
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
I'm putting it on the computer later today. I'm going to guess at possible fuse box issue, LCM(expensive fix) or I screwed something up when splicing into my accessories wire for my angel eyes. I'll also eventually be posting a rather long post on what to do and what not to with angel eyes ordering and installing nightmare. Hopefully can save someone some time. Like 6 months to do a 5hr job. lol
Will post results and thank you for the help!

whoa...you never mentioned that before. this totally changes everything. I was under the assumption that everything worked before and you woke up the next morning and things went crazy.

anyhow, good luck. I hope it is not the LCM (probably not) and just a faulty angel eyes installation.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #13
flashmeow
Banned User

any update buddy? i hope you got your car fix. please let us know. thanx
Old 01-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #14
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
whoa...you never mentioned that before. this totally changes everything. I was under the assumption that everything worked before and you woke up the next morning and things went crazy.

anyhow, good luck. I hope it is not the LCM (probably not) and just a faulty angel eyes installation.
+1 on Operator Error.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:07 AM   #15
funny677

Flash and Jdstrick,

Thanks for the notes and attempts to help. However, the angel eyes installation was perfect on my side(it was a manufacturer issue that took months to resolve) and after the result of todays tests with bmw computer and mechanic...... its the LCM plug/pins(pin about half way down plug. But thanks for the vote of confidence and the 2 of you jumping to the conclusion that it was my error. Does everyone else on here think that all of the other fanatics besides themselves are idiots? Or just you 2. Next time you feel the need to comment, save it for an idiot. lol
Old 01-29-2012, 02:08 AM   #16
funny677

Solidjake,

You were 100% correct. It was the pins. Thank you.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:30 AM   #17
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: 323i -98
I was going to say over-current protection but nice that you've resolved it

And i dont think flash/jd meant to call you an idiot , even the most experienced mech's forget the simplest things sometimes and might need a reminder to know what they've missed.
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:46 AM   #18
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:
Flash and Jdstrick,

Thanks for the notes and attempts to help. However, the angel eyes installation was perfect on my side(it was a manufacturer issue that took months to resolve) and after the result of todays tests with bmw computer and mechanic...... its the LCM plug/pins(pin about half way down plug. But thanks for the vote of confidence and the 2 of you jumping to the conclusion that it was my error. Does everyone else on here think that all of the other fanatics besides themselves are idiots? Or just you 2. Next time you feel the need to comment, save it for an idiot. lol
thanks for the update but there is no need to get defensive. your remarks is inappropriate and I took offense to your comments. I was trying to help (how many other people jumped in and try to assist you?). Anyhow, glad that you got your problem solved.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #19
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Sorry, but the description you gave is almost always operator error. You went back and retraced your steps and found the problem.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #20
aleksankazakov

My Ride: 04 E46 330i sport
Does anyone know angel eye installation forum? I plan to have angel eyes on my 04 330 and i have a slight issue. You see my car came with day running lights which are always on. you can see the picture. If i plug the angel lights then what with the day running lights?
Sent from my droid 2 using Bimmer App
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1327895330623.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	434559  
aleksankazakov is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adaptive, bi-xenon, headlight