E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
MasterC17

My Ride: hates A/C & Sunroofs
MasterC17 - 2002 M3 SMG Street Legal Track Car Project

Well, after many months of pondering, changing my mind, etc. I finally decided to man up and sell my ZHP (not sold yet) and buy an M3 to use as a track car. So that's what I did. Everyone hates on the SMG and personally I like it so I decided to go with an SMG transmission. If it blows up, oh well. So, after a couple months of looking I found this...gem. A 2002 M3 with all options including SMG and 103k miles. Well maintained using all OEM or factory parts (Lemforder, Sachs, Continental, etc.) However, it was a Florida car and is sun-baked. On the bright side, no rust or the like. So I've been hard at work over the past week and a half. Received the car 1.15.2012.

1.16.2012 - Went to do an oil change. The 6mm hex socket broke in half trying to get the oil drain plug out - great start eh? Then started to strip out the interior.

They're like twins, sort of.

Starting on the interior.

1.18.2012 - Then I forgot to take pictures for a few days. I got the Sparco Evo in, finished stripping out the rear of the interior (leaving parts of the rear deck and a few other little things).

1.24.2012 - So I forgot to take pictures again for the next few days. I then started working on the front of the interior and got bored and moved onto the engine bay. I removed the aux fan, microfilter housing, A/C, fog lights, headlights (replacing with halogens), brake ducts (being replaced w/ Bimmerworld ducts), and more stuff. Here are photos of the car as it currently sits.

Interior:

Parts:

Engine Bay:

A/C Gone!

So I already ordered some tires, harnesses, and a few other things. Wheels should be ordered soon (ARC-8's). Only things left to remove are SAP, navigation, small misc. parts, and I'm contemplating the evaporator. So, anyway, I'll keep updating this thread. Hoping to have the car "ready", so to speak, by April. Have a long list of things to do.

Last edited by MasterC17; 01-24-2012 at 09:02 PM.
MasterC17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
Gheybe

My Ride: C6 Z06
Congrats man!!! So stoked.
Gheybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
biMMer4.4i

My Ride: 2002 330i
Looks like its going to be an excellent track predator. Good work!

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer
biMMer4.4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:44 AM   #4
MasterC17

Can't decide on suspension, GC, AST, KW, anyone have experience with JIC Magic CROSS? Also can't decide how much I want to spend...

Tires came in. For now sticking with street tires to 'learn' the car - Kumho Ecsta XS 265/35/18 all around.

Ordering Turner Reinforcement Kit soon too.

Next thing I can't decide on it whether to just use 4-point harnesses for now, or use 6-point with harness bar or roll bar. I'm not really a fan of bolt-in roll bars, but harness bars don't offer rollover protection, and 4-points obviously aren't as good as 6-points. Very up in the air on this one.

SAP Delete Bracket is being ordered from Germany, should see it by the end of next week.

Taking off Clutch Fan this weekend and ordering SPAL 16" 30102120.

Ordered a bunch of maintenance items and some cosmetic items to replace the sun-baked ones on the car.

More updates to come, some more pictures tonight.

EDIT: The A/C Delete (Lines, Bolts, Compressor, Compressor Bracket & Pulley, Condenser, Receiver Drier) saved 29lbs 10oz. Not bad considering the evaporator is still in the car! Total weight savings should be somewhere around 300-325lbs without doing anything too crazy. Goal is 3000lbs without driver or fuel for the moment.

EDIT2: If anyone was wondering, a stock M3 seat with power, no heat, no lumbar weighs 63lbs. The Sparco w/ all brackets weighs 34lbs. So a savings of 29lbs per piece.

Last edited by MasterC17; 01-28-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
MasterC17

Today I replaced some trim pieces that were sun-baked. Replaced the gas cap (new design stinks, but at least it's new) as well. Removed the clutch fan next. Then I 'washed' the engine bay and sprayed out the radiator and oil cooler to remove the years/miles of gunk in there (it was surprisingly pretty clean). Then I drove it for the first time and man, it is awesome. It's pretty loud with half an interior and when the exhaust rasps its awesome, sounds so good. Not to mention it is quite a lot faster than the ZHP. Very excited about this project, it just keeps getting better. Onto the pictures.

P.S. Car had no issues staying cool without any fans, in fact I had it sit idling for probably 20 minutes without issue ('burning off' the water).
Old 01-28-2012, 09:47 PM   #6
MasterC17

4x APEX ARC-8 - 18x9.5 ET33 - Hyper Silver - Ordered.

Sparco Evo 2 for Passenger - Ordered.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
Tronix

My Ride: '98 M3, '01 330Ci
SMG Tip: Make sure to branch a small hose off the brake duct to blow on the SMG pump. Probably the single most important thing to do on a SMG track car.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #8
MasterC17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronix View Post
SMG Tip: Make sure to branch a small hose off the brake duct to blow on the SMG pump. Probably the single most important thing to do on a SMG track car.
Already planned. I'm going to try to run four 3" hoses from the bumper ducts. One hose to each of the brakes, one to the harmonic balancer, and one to the SMG pump.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
Gheybe

My Ride: C6 Z06
FYI, I vote for AST's.
Gheybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:34 AM   #10
Tronix

My Ride: '98 M3, '01 330Ci
Old 01-31-2012, 03:00 PM   #11
MasterC17

Did the SAP Delete and removed the rear assembly for the stereo system. Also took out the NAV components back there, so all that is left is the Amp.

EDIT: Also started on the sunroof delete, just need to drop the headliner and sunroof assembly and pop the carbon insert in

Last edited by MasterC17; 01-31-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #12
mule22

My Ride: 2006 330Xi
I was told to stay away from SMG cars for track use, but I really like the concept of the SMG (left foot braking). From what I understand it is just a reliability issue. So I would have thought Turner or Bimmerworld or somebody would have come up with a fix or an upgrade kit or something for the SMG. Is there anything out there in the after market????
mule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #13
MasterC17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mule22 View Post
I was told to stay away from SMG cars for track use, but I really like the concept of the SMG (left foot braking). From what I understand it is just a reliability issue. So I would have thought Turner or Bimmerworld or somebody would have come up with a fix or an upgrade kit or something for the SMG. Is there anything out there in the after market????
I have not found any aftermarket upgrades for SMG. To be honest, I think the problems with SMG are overhyped on the internet. The actual amount of failures compared to cars built with SMG is rather small. Keeping the SMG components cool is the critical point of tracking with SMG.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #14
MasterC17

Yesterday I removed the sunroof and the Navigation.

Today I installed the Halogen headlights and just threw the Evo 2 in the passenger side for now (waiting for bracket).

Old 02-02-2012, 10:36 PM   #15
mule22

My Ride: 2006 330Xi
Love seeing these pics. Reminds me of the A4 I built 6yrs ago, and gets me excited about starting an M3 project. Are you planning on going full W2W racing with cage and all, or just a dedicated track/time trial car?
mule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #16
MasterC17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mule22 View Post
Love seeing these pics. Reminds me of the A4 I built 6yrs ago, and gets me excited about starting an M3 project. Are you planning on going full W2W racing with cage and all, or just a dedicated track/time trial car?
Just going to use a 4-point roll bar for now, remember it is going to be street legal and driven on the street.This year will compose of a bunch of HPDE's just to get practice with the car and get it dialed in.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #17
invictus

My Ride: M3, 749R, SV650
This looks really familiar I like SMG for track days too.

CCW. Dunlop. Ground Control. StopTech. Hawk. Vorschlag. Rogue Engineering. Recaro. TCDesign. RaceTech. VAC. Motul. Vorsteiner.
Find me on track: 10/19-21 Sonoma Speedway // 11/10-11 Thunderhill
The story so far...

Fund my track car:

PM me about my: stock diffuser, stock trunk
WTB 1x Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec 265/35/18 (used is okay)
invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #18
MasterC17

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
This looks really familiar I like SMG for track days too.
Very similar builds, you just need to dump that sunroof! I like the paddle shifters you have, need to get some myself; the stock ones are too small.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:54 AM   #19
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterC17 View Post
Can't decide on suspension, GC, AST, KW, anyone have experience with JIC Magic CROSS? Also can't decide how much I want to spend...
Decide how much you want to spend first. Of the options listed I'd chose GC.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #20
MasterC17

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio76109 View Post
Decide how much you want to spend first. Of the options listed I'd chose GC.
I'm leaning towards a slightly used GC set and want to spend around $1,500.

Got the M3 registered today so I took it for a little drive and without the sunroof the wind buffeting is AWFUL. The carbon fiber insert doesn't come in until Thursday

Oh, another note I got NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT with the SAP Delete - no Euro tune, nothing, just took it off. I don't understand why, but I'm not complaining either!