E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 03:41 PM   #1
jizzzoe

My Ride: is no longer E46 :(
Send a message via Yahoo to jizzzoe
Advice on painting stock bumper

Hey everyone. I am in the process of converting all the chrome and silver on my steel gray coupe to black, and wondered what you all would recommend for the silver parts of my stock bumper. Just installed black grills and I painted the headlight bezels black last weekend. Eventually I will probably be getting an MTech II, but in the meantime I need to black out the fins, foglight housings and mesh in the bumper...

Here is what I'm talking about (pardon crappy cell phone pics):

I would prefer to do this without taking the bumper apart. I don't think I should just spray it with black trim paint like I did the insides of the headlights because of overspray. Does anyone know if I can remove these pieces easily without a complete disassemble?

Would brush on Plasti-Dip work or should i stick with regular trim paint?

Any other ideas or advice?

Thanks in advance!!

My Steel Gray '03 330Ci... I miss you, baby!
MODS: Purely aesthetic… Shadowlined, Smoked and LED'd out!

Last edited by jizzzoe; 03-25-2011 at 03:50 PM.
jizzzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Both the long lateral piece that runs the length of the bumper below the mesh and foglights and the fins of the foglight surround just clip on and off without having to remove the whole bumper.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
jizzzoe

I can't see any clips. Do you have any more info? Thank you!

Old 03-25-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Follow these instructions, steps 1 to 3 show how to remove those pieces.....
http://www.e46fanatics.com/howto/how...hp?howto_id=40
Old 03-25-2011, 07:22 PM   #5
jizzzoe

Beautiful! Thanks so much my friend!

Old 04-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
jizzzoe

Just FYI for anyone else looking to do this... I finally got around to painting this stuff this weekend and it turned out just like I wanted... The silver piece that goes all the way across and the silver fins surrounding the foglights came off easily. I couldn't figure out how to get the mesh grill behind the license plate off, so i just masked it, shoved some cardboard behind it for overspray and sprayed Plasti-Dip on that piece and it came out looking the same as the other pieces that I used trim paint on... here's a crappy cell phone pic, in the rain, in case you care...

Old 01-22-2012, 06:28 AM   #7
daki_bmw

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jizzzoe View Post
Just FYI for anyone else looking to do this... I finally got around to painting this stuff this weekend and it turned out just like I wanted... The silver piece that goes all the way across and the silver fins surrounding the foglights came off easily. I couldn't figure out how to get the mesh grill behind the license plate off, so i just masked it, shoved some cardboard behind it for overspray and sprayed Plasti-Dip on that piece and it came out looking the same as the other pieces that I used trim paint on...
I am doing the same thing on my cosmos schwarz metallic 330Ci. Just like you, I am not going to take the bumper off, no way. I am going to color match long lateral + foglight fins, but they are removable, so it's easy. As for mesh/grill, I wanted to ask you a question: I am also gonna plasti-dip it, but you said you stucked cardboard behind so you could plastidip it directly onto the wehicle...which side did you put that cardboard peace from? Did you remove the mudguard, and put it from under the bumper...or some other way? Thank you very much.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #8
jizzzoe

There are 3 openings underneath that grill, underneath the long lateral piece in my pic above. I just ripped some cardboard and shoved it up under there. Nothing scientific about it... FYI I ended up plasti-dipping the lateral piece and fins as well. You can paint them with regular paint, but i guarantee in a month of normal driving you will have a bunch of chips in your paint that show up silver. Plasti-dip is nice because it absorbs impact from rocks and stuff and doesn't chip, and looks just fine flat black.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #9
daki_bmw

Thank you. Yes, I went out and looked what you were talking about. I can see those openings where you can shove pieces of cardbord. As for painting, I don't know now...I thought to paint it professionally (I would pay for paint only, my friend has a paint shop...), but if I decide to plasti-dip it, I might do it myself...my car is already black, so why not, flat-black on those parts would look OK (I think)
Old 01-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #10
jizzzoe

If you don't like it you can peel it off, but for $10 a can you can't beat it. Pay $50 or more for colormatched paint and you will regret it in a month. I am not saying plasti-dip is a fix-all, but it's perfect for this situation. No prep work, two coats and you're good...

Old 01-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #11
Zach330ci

My Ride: 2002 330ci
has the plasti-dip help up well? i think i'm going to do mine this weekend. And i really like your front spoiler, what kind is it?
Zach330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #12
jizzzoe

It does hold up pretty well. I think I will re-do it again when it gets a little warmer and drier out, just because last time I took my foglights out it was wet and when I pulled on the fins, some of it came off the top of one of them. It's super easy to do though and held up really well.

And thanks! My bumper lip actually came from Ebay and is pretty much an AC Schnitzer replica, although not exactly the same. Check out this thread:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=836687

Old 01-28-2012, 07:15 AM   #13
daki_bmw

Quote:
...And thanks! My bumper lip actually came from Ebay and is pretty much an AC Schnitzer replica, although not exactly the same. Check out this thread:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=836687
How much clearance (bumper to ground) did you loose (if any) by putting this lip?
Old 01-28-2012, 02:32 PM   #14
jizzzoe

Just the thickness of the polyurethane, I dunno... 1/8 inch?

Old 01-29-2012, 04:10 AM   #15
daki_bmw

Quote:
Just the thickness of the polyurethane, I dunno... 1/8 inch?
Uhmmm, that's good. I have M-sport suspension ("ZHP" suspension in US) and the car is so low, if I'd go half an inch lower, or put anything that takes away clearance, I wouldn't be able to drive it on these horrible roads. And that lip looks so good on stock bumper, I think I got bored of M-tech II bumper. Maybe I should consider that lip...
Old 01-29-2012, 12:05 PM   #16
jizzzoe

It extends the lower part of the bumper horizontally, not vertically... Just gotta watch out for curbs when you park there are pics in the thread...