E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
rob007r

My Ride: 2002 330ci coupe
Window regulator problem

Hi Guys, Iím after some help please? Iím really good at reading the brilliant posts on here, but this is my first question ever, so here goes!
Window regulator was faulty, front left, 2002 330ci coupe. As you look at the door from the inside the top left plastic pulley had disintegrated, the cable was then stuck between the centre bit of what was left of the pulley and the door. The window wouldnít operate as you can image! It was interesting in lowering it to replace the regulator.

Bought a new regulator (ebay?!) and fitted it.
Not yet aligned correctly, but here is the issue. The door is still in bits, card and barrier off etc.

When the window is operated, it goes up and down fine. Close the door and then open it, the glass doesnít drop? Close the door and you can hear the glass being pushed up but it canít go any higher as the glass hasnít dropped if that makes sense?? Also, with the door open, rise the window all the way up, it should auto drop back down but it doesn't.
Now if you open the door and watch the cables by the motor (I am manually operating the door lock with a screw driver and then releasing the lock with the external handle) you can see the spring retract (it may go the other way, I canít remember) and the cables move as well but the glass isnít dropping. What the glass its on does not move even though the cables are moving.
Now when the external handle is operated to release the door, the glass moves about a 1mm but you can manually push the glass in the door, 10mm or so. Close the door and the glass then rises as it should.

Why is this regulator not conforming for me!! This has turned from a 2 hour job into a total session.

Any help would be appreciated. Hope the above makes sense, I had though about greasing the rails but didnít think it was required.

Thanks Rob
rob007r is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
Rob
I have changed many regulators in the E46--and never encountered a problem. I would recommend that you review carefully if the screws are fastened into the glass properly, and that the elevator that rides on the regulator cable is not defective. I am having trouble following you explanation of open--not sure if you always mean panel is off and it is now open, or the door is swung open. But since it never has been a problem with me--you may have a defective regulator. Did you examine it carefully before installing. Did you also check that the motor and the contact gears are all working correctly when everything was apart.
jayb328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
rob007r

My Ride: 2002 330ci coupe
Hi, Typo above - should be 'sits on' - 'What the glass its'

yep refer to swung open anyway, only put the door together as I was so feed up!
Had the new regulator out 3 times or so and can't see anything wrong with it.
As I said the spring on the regulator to the left of the motor (down 7 o'clock) seems to work as it should and you can see the cables move it that area as well. The only thing that doesn't move is the evevator?
If you have done few, surely it should be a straight swapout with no problems?
Maybe the new regulator is faulty?
Thanks.
rob007r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
As you say, it has been a straight swap --new for old. But before you put the new one in, I am assuming you did what I always do, check to determine if the new one is an exact match as the old one, and that every moving part on the regulator functions. In addition, I add a touch of grease to the rails and some of the gears. Never had a problems--except for the fact is takes me at least 3 time as long to do this work as the book rate
jayb328i is offline   Reply With Quote