E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
chrislasser

My Ride: BMW 330 xi
Help shredded serpentine belt broken fan pulley

I just replaced serpentine belt and tensioners yesterday and when i was driving earlier my battery light came on. I knew right away that my belt had shreaded and was off of the alternator. Don't know what caused this to do this, but the pulley on my fan is broken. Does anyone know if i can buy this individually??? PN's etc. What will i need to remove this???? Please help.
chrislasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
I think the water pump pulley is just held by four bolts.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
danwilz

My Ride: E46 M3 Vert 2012 X5
your water pump pulley?
Old 01-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
danwilz

Ecs tuning has an aluminum one for like 20 bucks. don't overtorque it. 8 lbs max goodluck.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Sorry to hear it, Chris.

A couple of things to check, besides replacing broken pulley...and you don't 'need' aluminum...just saying.

Anyway, did you make sure you aligned the pin on the idler pulley with the notch?

Also, you can get the alt mounted, but have it kick out at an angle. Ask me how I know! I was driving 3 months somehow with the alt only mounted with one bolt. It was off by maybe an 1/8"...evidently not enough to kick it off.

Look from the side to make sure things are all aligned.

Also, as I believe this might've been the first time you did this, please don't take offense to my asking if you made a diagram of the routing of the belts...'you' can install them on the wrong way somehow...probably more than one way!

Finally, I think you said you did it all without removing the fan (is that right? You just slipped belt around fan, I guess) Anyway, it's worth it to get the tools you need to get the fan off...it will make things much easier.

My pulleys really did only take about 15 mins. or so...though I have an electric fan that comes out in a minute or two...but the guys with the tools, spend maybe 5 mins. tops getting it out...and then, make sure the fan stays vertical, just like it is in the car, or you can mess up the fan clutch.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30

Last edited by dmax; 01-26-2012 at 05:06 PM.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
chrislasser

My Ride: BMW 330 xi
Pin was aligned in the notch. I drove the car pretty hard for 60 - 70 miles with no problem. The diagram of the belt was definitely routed right. Wasn't really able to see fan pulley, perhaps it was ate up a little bit?? Not sure, but i need to find a fan clutch tool. I have a 1 1/4 inch that will fit the 36mm nut, but don't have anything to hold those little bolts on water pump in place. Any suggestions?
Thanks a lot for the input.
chrislasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #7
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislasser View Post
Pin was aligned in the notch. I drove the car pretty hard for 60 - 70 miles with no problem. The diagram of the belt was definitely routed right. Wasn't really able to see fan pulley, perhaps it was ate up a little bit?? Not sure, but i need to find a fan clutch tool. I have a 1 1/4 inch that will fit the 36mm nut, but don't have anything to hold those little bolts on water pump in place. Any suggestions?
Thanks a lot for the input.
I think it's a 32mm, but think the 1.25" is pretty close...but I don't want to do the math!

Guys hold a long screwdriver between the bolts on the wp to hold it. Also, if you're at all handy, look at the pictures of the tool and just get a piece of flat iron from HD...and make your own pulley holding tool...basically just a hole and a notch in the right place.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:12 PM   #8
danwilz

put the wrench on the nut hit it with a hammer to the right it will break loose.
i bought the tool and did it this way it was easier than aligning the stupid tool.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
smolck

My Ride: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
I think it's a 32mm, but think the 1.25" is pretty close...but I don't want to do the math!
I have a 1.25" (one and a quarter) wrench and it works just fine.

Here you go, here's my vid. when doing this, be careful you don't smash your tstat with the wrench shaft. You'll see what I mean when you do it. Once the fan is off it is 4 10mm nuts and you are done.

Check my Youtube channel for DIY's and fun stuff
http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee

Last edited by smolck; 01-28-2012 at 07:21 PM.
smolck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #10
Handle46

My Ride: 2000 323ci
hey dmax, what if the long screw driver bends into an L when using to loosen the nut? thats where I am right now?
Handle46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #11
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handle46 View Post
hey dmax, what if the long screw driver bends into an L when using to loosen the nut? thats where I am right now?
get proper tool really.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #12
smolck

My Ride: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handle46 View Post
You use my method. Hit it with a mini sledge.

Check my Youtube channel for DIY's and fun stuff
http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
smolck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #13
Handle46

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Hey fellas, I actually used both your advice, I searched the forums and found the scale diagram of the fan/waterpump holder tool, here at bimmerfest.com http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=464226&page=5 (scroll to the bottom, its a pdf doc.). Next I got a $6 3 ft flat-bar from OSH, printed this diagram out, traced it, cut it, then BOOM! got a $30 dollar tool for 6 bucks and some sweat, Sweet deal! I screwed on one of the waterpump pulley screws through the tool and then placed the 32mm wrench on the fan nut, held the waterpump tool with one hand and wacked the wrench with my mallet with the other hand. Finally, that damn fan is off, and now I can get to work.

Last edited by Handle46; 01-29-2012 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Missing Information
Handle46 is offline   Reply With Quote