E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

View Poll Results: Have you ever experienced the dreaded "Force Close"?
No, never and I've never installed any apps. 4 11.11%
No, never and I've installed one or two apps. 1 2.78%
No, never and I've installed quite a few apps. 6 16.67%
Yes, and I've never installed any apps. 3 8.33%
Yes, and I've installed one or two apps. 14 38.89%
Yes, and I've installed quite a few apps. 8 22.22%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011, 02:17 PM   #21
ketchup

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danoff View Post
I got another FC on startup the other day. It hasn't taken my system down, but it showed up on boot.

It happened as I was pulling away from my house. The unit was powering up, and wifi connected briefly to the house before falling out of range. They seemed correlated enough that I felt like I should prevent the unit from losing wifi connection immediately after turning on or from shutting the car off immediately after arriving at the house. I have since told my unit to forget my house wifi. This should prevent these short-term connections.
Replicable?

So this is your second FC since?
ketchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:24 PM   #22
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
well he said it didnt take the system down so it might just mean that one of the apps crashed as it lost wifi connection.....but it does possibly show that randomly loosing wifi is problematic.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:15 AM   #23
podge3

My Ride: Rover 75 CDTi
I have had about 6 force closes now.

The first time I had lots of apps installed. All the rest have been with just iGo, Co-pilot and Navigon.
podge3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #24
Defuse

My Ride: 02 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchup View Post

Android OS side ONLY-

1. How long have you had your unit installed?
2. Is the unit connected to the Internet all the time?

1. 4 months
2. Not connected all the time but if my drive is greater than 30 min then yes.

The first time I had the issue it was with LauncherPro, Pandora, and a couple others. As a result I uninstalled LauncherPro and went to GoLauncherEX. I ran that setup for 3 months without a single issue. I had Pandora continue to FC on me a couple days ago but it has been resolved.

In both instances my issue started directly after I was doing things in the car that required power to the device to be switched on and off before the device could completely "boot"

I have never had to re-install the OS or restore to factory defaults though.

Last edited by Defuse; 09-07-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Defuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #25
Danoff

My Ride: '04 330i ZSP
Seeing general instability at this point. Google maps is crashing (needs data cleared) often to make it work. Seeing a hidden FC (that goes away) during boot each time. I've also gotten questions about which launcher to use a few times - which shouldn't happen.

Android is still functioning (I used maps and traffic this morning on my way to work), but it's showing some flakiness at this point. I may just load it up with apps and see how long it lasts. I'm very near the point where I'd want to re-install firmware anyway. It's been 2 months since I last installed the firmware. I installed launcher pro (only) after the first month when nothing went wrong.

Last edited by Danoff; 09-07-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Danoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #26
ketchup

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by podge3 View Post
I have had about 6 force closes now.

The first time I had lots of apps installed. All the rest have been with just iGo, Co-pilot and Navigon.
Did you have any launchers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danoff View Post
I've also gotten questions about which launcher to use a few times - which shouldn't happen.
I've actually had that happen not only to my (stock) HTC EVO but another friend's as well. So that's just some error in the launcher itself or a corrupt setting. In my friends case, it was random and the launcher option eventually disappeared and required re-installation.

Last edited by ketchup; 09-07-2011 at 03:50 PM.
ketchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:46 AM   #27
podge3

My Ride: Rover 75 CDTi
Quote:
Did you have any launchers?
I had a launcher the first time only.
podge3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:02 PM   #28
Halston@BSW
Sponsor

My Ride: E30 X5 TJ
Interesting post and one I will soon be able to reply to with some solid information. We are installing one into my wife's X5 and I use Android and have an iPod. Will be dong full reviews, install guides(video and PDF) and will see what all this baby can do. Should be good information for everyone involved.

BSW | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404-963-8857

iPod Integration | Plug & Play Speakers | Subwoofer Solutions | Satellite Radio | HD Radio | Bluetooth
Halston@BSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:46 PM   #29
Danoff

My Ride: '04 330i ZSP
Just installed the new firmware. No problems so far, GPS seems to lock on to more satellites and perhaps stays alive in the background? I noticed that we now have access to the traffic widget, which is a cool widget that allows you to put in an address and estimates travel time at all times to that address.

My previous installation was nearly 3 months old, the first month and a half without any apps, and the rest with launcher pro. I was seeing some force closes flash by during boot up, but the system generally ran just fine with launcher pro. After updating to the new firmware I installed launcher pro, gps status, and put the traffic widgets on. We'll see how stable it is. Automatic updating is turned off on all apps.
Danoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #30
CoulterM

My Ride: 2006 M3 ZCP
Hi Everyone,

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I figured it was better than starting a new one.

I had no issues for a few weeks (D99), then had the illumination wires spliced. There was no illumination of buttons when I first installed.

Upon turning the car back on after install, I switched over to android mode and got a "which launcher do you want to use?" message.
I chose launcher pro and set it as default.

Immediately I get a force close of pandora and launcher pro. I can force close pandora, but the launcher pro one keeps coming up.
My thinking is that I force close it, but because it's set as default launcher, the regular one won't work.

Help? Ideas?

I've already tried resetting the unit with the little button on the front, and removing SD card, but I think launcher pro is installed on the unit itself?

Thank you!

Track: TRG 2011 Rolex Grand-Am 997 GT3 Cup
Daily: 2006 M3 ZCP
CoulterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #31
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
it doesnt have anything to do with getting your illumination wires hooked up.

When a launcher app crashes it makes it pretty much impossible to access anything in android so the easiest quickest fix is to reinstall the Android ROM and start over with a clean slate.

As discussed on the android thread it is a good idea to set all the apps to NOT automatically update. We have come to believe that cutting the power (turning your car off) while an app is running an update in the background can eventually cause a corruption of the android system. Preventing the unit from doing auto updates seems to keep this from happening.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 01-14-2012 at 07:13 PM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:26 AM   #32
navman01

My Ride: 2004 318i E46
Quote:
With the "force close" problems circulating,

Android OS side ONLY-

1. How long have you had your unit installed?
2. Is the unit connected to the Internet all the time?
3. What apps have you installed?
1. About a week..
2. Only when in garage.
3. AngryBirds, GarminMechanic, DigitalSpeedometer Free, MapDroyd (edit: this had no issue, completely offline app), Market at one stage was no going to net by memory, Navigation etc

Started have force closes, after using a friends phone, HTC Android to tether his 3g data connection to my unit.
All the force closes are "com" 99% of the time or "net"

to solve this issue with all internet or data required apps crashing, I reset data on pretty much all google apps, i think i was successful on settings storage reset.
Everythings working no problems now 2hrs in

Last edited by navman01; 01-30-2012 at 12:30 AM.
navman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #33
jok

My Ride: E46 330d
Also experiencing FC issues. Strange thing is, it always happens after 7 days, now the third time in a row! When it happens, there really seems to be some corruption, because google play reverts back to market and some google services framework libs seem to be corrupted as well.
Will try m3evolution's rom for a change and see if that changes anything.

Some german apps installed: Blitzer.de, tunein radio, and some other apps: happy sky wallpaper, power amp

Last edited by jok; 04-06-2012 at 11:27 AM.
jok is offline   Reply With Quote