E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
NFA Firearms

There seem to be a lot of questions related to the National Firearms Act lately, so I thought it would make sense to dedicate a thread for questions and sharing resources.

Some resources that I used while researching the creation of an NFA Trust and filling out the associated paperwork:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=9830

http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/form1.html

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/...php?f=13&t=113

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...ute-to-the-NFA...

Last edited by Serbonze; 02-03-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Great thread...

I just ordered my first NFA item yesterday... Silencerco SS Sparrow. I used the trust method and it was an easier paperwork process then buying a regulated gun. My dealer did everything for me basically and made it a very painless process.

I also got my trust last week from this site
http://livingtrustsontheweb.com/pages/index.html
They had it to me in under 48 hours. Answered any questions I had very quickly. Included a letter to take to the bank with me for setting up a checking account. And it was only $149...he makes them all state specific also. I am happy with the outcome and I guess I'll find out shortly(well really focken months) whether the ATF agrees ha.

Can somebody explain maybe briefly the difference between all the forms...
ie form 1, 2 , 4 etc.. I will google them all, but I'm sure other people might have the same question too.
Adam@Euro-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Great idea. I'll contribute in a few hours.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

ATF F 5320.1 (Form 1) — Application to make and Register a Firearm
ATF F 5320.2 (Form 2) — Notice of Firearms Manufactured or Imported
ATF F 5320.3 (Form 3) — Application for Tax-Exempt Transfer of Firearm and Registration to Special Occupational Taxpayer (National Firearms Act)
ATF F 5320.4 (Form 4) — Application For Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearm

http://www.atf.gov/forms/firearms/
Old 02-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
david05111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
ATF F 5320.1 (Form 1) — Application to make and Register a Firearm
ATF F 5320.2 (Form 2) — Notice of Firearms Manufactured or Imported
ATF F 5320.3 (Form 3) — Application for Tax-Exempt Transfer of Firearm and Registration to Special Occupational Taxpayer (National Firearms Act)
ATF F 5320.4 (Form 4) — Application For Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearm

http://www.atf.gov/forms/firearms/
Forgot:
5330.20 (Certification of Compliance)
5320.20 (Application for Transport)

Old 02-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #6
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

So if I want to go from MD to VA to shoot at a range and bring my suppressor. I have to fill out a 5320.20 form way ahead of time and wait to hear back from the ATF?
Old 02-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
david05111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
So if I want to go from MD to VA to shoot at a range and bring my suppressor. I have to fill out a 5320.20 form way ahead of time and wait to hear back from the ATF?
I'm pretty sure there is an exception for suppressors ONLY. But yeah, probably a good idea to do it. If you fill it out, you can specify that you'll be making frequent trips and you're covered for up to a year I think.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
tailo

My Ride: 02 330I
Yes, a silencer does not need 5320. If you ever get something like a SBR that does require it make sure to submit it way in advance, it usually only takes a couple weeks but from time to time it takes much longer. Ususally around the creek every year you hear about guys who could not bring there toys because they had not been approved yet.

Sometimes they will reject it if you dont have a address so "to the range" does not cut it.

Your really going to like that can, CCI standards work best with it. I am assuming you know about the sub/super sonic ammo?

EDIT***

About that trust.... not all trusts are the same. Make SURE it has wording in it stating who in the trust can possess the NFA items. Trusts can and have been approved but later found not to be valid, then you loose your stuff. If your trust does not state that you can possess your silencer you cant legally have access to it even though its your trust. Standard trusts do not need this type of wording so free/cheap web sites do not include it in the trusts. Double check yours just to make sure your OK, if your not correct it and contact them to let them know of the correction before it gets rejected and delays you even longer.

There's a reasion why NFA lawyers charge 600-800 for a proper nfa trust.

Last edited by tailo; 02-02-2012 at 09:56 PM.
tailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #9
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

NFA devices map by state.

*Always check current state laws!
Old 02-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #10
david05111

Quote:
NFA devices map by state.

*Always check current state laws!
Now THAT is a cool chart! And one I haven't seen

Old 02-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #11
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailo View Post
Yes, a silencer does not need 5320. If you ever get something like a SBR that does require it make sure to submit it way in advance, it usually only takes a couple weeks but from time to time it takes much longer. Ususally around the creek every year you hear about guys who could not bring there toys because they had not been approved yet.

Sometimes they will reject it if you dont have a address so "to the range" does not cut it.

Your really going to like that can, CCI standards work best with it. I am assuming you know about the sub/super sonic ammo?

EDIT***

About that trust.... not all trusts are the same. Make SURE it has wording in it stating who in the trust can possess the NFA items. Trusts can and have been approved but later found not to be valid, then you loose your stuff. If your trust does not state that you can possess your silencer you cant legally have access to it even though its your trust. Standard trusts do not need this type of wording so free/cheap web sites do not include it in the trusts. Double check yours just to make sure your OK, if your not correct it and contact them to let them know of the correction before it gets rejected and delays you even longer.

There's a reasion why NFA lawyers charge 600-800 for a proper nfa trust.
I know I read some reviews on a silencer forum of people that had used the site and read about the owner. Work for 25 years as a trust and estate lawyer. It seems well written and very thorough. It's about 15 pages total and goes into detail about everything. The first paragraph that makes it pretty clear the trust is used for Nfa firearms for me to possess and own. My local lawyer wanted $300 which isn't bad at all and was willing to pay but then had a goofy group buy pricing chart the rubbed me the wrong way so I went with somebody else.
If anybody wants to see the trust I'll edit out my name and send it to you.

I'm going To start stock piling subsonic .22 ammo...got a few thousand rounds of mini mags to blast off still. Where in va do you live? Near md\dc at all?
Old 02-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #12
tailo

My Ride: 02 330I
I'm probably 4 hours(?) from DC. I live near VA tech.

I'm at the range near tech (pandapus) just about every weekend so feel free to PM me later if you ever want to come down and try out some stuff. I've got 2 MG's and 2 silencers on the way right now. Bring your own ammo and you can blast what ever I own.

Last edited by tailo; 02-03-2012 at 07:15 PM.
tailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #13
M3_POWER

My Ride: is better than yours
This process is foreign to me. So can any lawyer write up a trust for you? If so, I will have my sister-in-law do it for me.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:32 AM   #14
david05111

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_POWER View Post
This process is foreign to me. So can any lawyer write up a trust for you? If so, I will have my sister-in-law do it for me.
Well, yeah. Heck, you can even do it yourself, but that doesn't mean that it will be right or that it will adequately protect you. Call Mr. Goldman @ guntrustlawer.com. $400 bucks or so and you'll be set.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:40 AM   #15
M3_POWER

My Ride: is better than yours
Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
Well, yeah. Heck, you can even do it yourself, but that doesn't mean that it will be right or that it will adequately protect you. Call Mr. Goldman @ guntrustlawer.com. $400 bucks or so and you'll be set.
Gotcha, thanks. I thought only a lawyers could do it. I'm not looking for a can or SBR anytime soon. If I ever do, will definitely come back to these threads.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:39 AM   #16
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
The trust you will be setting up will be a One Party Revocable Living Trust. You just change some wording to accommodate the guns. I did my own using software I bought, and it has passed muster with the ATF. Still, at some point in the future I'm going to have it professionally re-done by guntrustlawyer.com.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #17
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Going next week to order a new lower from a local store. They manufacturer the lowers, so I'm going to have them register it as an SBR so I won't have to have it engraved.. GF Is going with for me

Last edited by Adam@Euro-Spec; 02-06-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #18
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
Going next week to order a new lower from a local store. They manufacturer the lowers, so I'm going to have them register it as an SBR so I won't have to have it engraved.. GF Is going with me
Edited for you.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #19
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:
Edited for you.
haha yeah guess I worded that wrong...its all going in the trusts name and I'm doing the paperwork...I just might find a little bonus money that morning
Old 02-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #20
david05111

Just to make sure, my form 4s that I filled out with the dealer will be shipped back to the dealer when approved, right? Not to my address?