E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

View Poll Results: WHAT SHOULD I GET?
NEW ENGINE 2 16.67%
USED ENGINE 2 16.67%
REBUILT ENGINE 5 41.67%
SELL MY CAR 3 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
Edge325ci

My Ride: 2002 E46 325ci
New, used, or rebuilt???????

I have a 2002 325ci m54 engine and the previous owner was a young female who never changed the oil there is a lot of built up sludge and baked on crud to the entire engine and i have pics of the cams basically sitting in sludge so im looking to either buy a new (not likely) used, (more than likely) or rebuilt (not sure yet) i have heard about bavarian auto recycling at www.bmrparts.com i need help any ideas??????????
Edge325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
Sofresh2Clean

My Ride: ...
I have one selling if you want one. Just changed all accessories
Sofresh2Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
andyman7931

My Ride: e39, e46, e83
try changing the oil a couple of times and see if the sludge works its way out before tearing the car apart. Does the engine still run? how many miles on it?
andyman7931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #4
trive2

My Ride: 1989 BMW 535i
Change the oil immediately, run it for a tank of fuel, change the oil again, run it for 2000km or so, change the oil again, run for 5000km then change the oil with some sludge remover and hope for the best!

That's assuming it's as bad as you say :S
trive2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
Edge325ci

Andyman- yes it still runs pretty good and theres over 135,000 miles on it

I'll try the oil changes thing I use amzoil and do oil changes regularly but I'll try the flushes first, my mechanic told me that if a chunk of it breaks off and goes through the "something" it will blow my engine, what do you say?
Old 02-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #6
Sofresh2Clean

My Ride: ...
My parents bought a 1992 e34 525 in 1995 with 40K. The PO didnt do any oil changes or maint, and put dino oil inside it. Needless to say there was a considerable amount of sludge inside the engine. They decided to clean the engine by taking it apart and removing oll the sludge build up. A 3K job, but the car ran fine until they sold it and bought my e39 in 99'. If your going to keep the car for a little while (1-3 years) get a used engine. If your going to keep the car for a longer period of time ( 4-8 years) rebuilt the engine entirely and see to it that you will be maintenance free (engine wise) for the duration of your ownership. Getting a new engine isnt a financial wise option for an older car. You couls sell the car in the near future and upgrade to something less maintenance intensive
Sofresh2Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
ti317

My Ride: 02 330ci coupe 5 spd
There is another thing to try. Drain the oil and replace the drain plug. Overfill the engine with degreaser, maybe 2 to 3 gallons or more. You may have to plug the dipstick hole if it starts to leak, pour as much in as you can till you can see degreaser pooling near the oil fill hole. DO NOT START THE ENGINE!!
Let the car sit a day on level ground and drain the engine thoroughly. Refill with cheap grade oil and new filter, run engine till warm and drain oil. Refill with new filter and correct grade synthetic oil. Change oil again in 2000 miles using Lubrimoly oil flush before oil change and Bob's your uncle.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #8
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
rebuilding, or actually cleaning it like someone suggested should be fun, if you have the tools, space and time.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #9
Edge325ci

Youngpro- thanks for the advice i was actually thinking about trying to accomplish a rebuilt job on my own and if i fail just buy one.

ti317- have you tried this before? or have you heard about "Liqui Moly Engine Renewal Kit"?
Old 02-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #10
Edge325ci

snikwad- yea i think thats going to be the way i go but im going to try the flushes and degreaser first
Old 02-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #11
Edge325ci

ti317- do you have any recommendations for brands or types?
Old 02-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #12
Snik
OEM ///Member

im sure wurth makes some stuff for that. they seem to make every type of chemical and solvent related to automotives under the sun. And most all their stuff works too.
Liqui-moly is also an excellent brand too.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:27 PM   #13
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
How do I get sucked into this sh!t.

If it were me, & I had a monumental amount of sludge under the valve cover, I'd do this:

First I'd pull the valve cover off & remove the oil drain bolt/plug, of course drain all the oil out. DO NOT reinstall the oil drain plug, leave it out.
I would then use a pressure washer feeding off of hot water & go to town spraying your cylinder head down. When you're done it'll be Very clean, all the extra water will go into your oil pan & 98% will drain out. Next, take an air hose & blow the cylinder head clean & dry, when finished reinstall the drain plug & valve cover. Now go ahead & fill it back up with cheap oil & a new filter, virtually any kind will do. Start it back up & let it idle until it comes up to operating temp, DON'T rev it up, 2000 RPM or less. Dump that oil & filter & add new cheap oil & filter; this time drive it for a day or two gently. Dump the oil & filter one more time, this time refill with high quality Mobil 1 & a premium filter. You're all done.

This will work just fine, I've personally seen this done before.

Good luck.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind" M54 CAMS 264/252 $849
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #14
Snik
OEM ///Member

^ wow Rob, that sounds like pure genius. OP do it, its so simple, its brilliant.

Tags
engine, new engine, upgrades, used parts