E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 09:38 AM   #21
330Cole

My Ride: 01' 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkJoker View Post
and then youd spend twice as much to mod it
and twice as much to maintain it

ill keep my 330 mod it to my content and possible rip an somewhat stockish E46 M3 a new a$$hole

my 2 cents

s/c for 330 $4695

s/c for M3 $8695

same company stage 1 kit
This is a good point. What I was the thinking, was that a modded m3 vs modded 330, m3 would win. But maintenance and cost of upgrades I had not thought of
330Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #22
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330Cole View Post
This is a good point. What I was the thinking, was that a modded m3 vs modded 330, m3 would win. But maintenance and cost of upgrades I had not thought of
No doubt the ///M3 would win, but you're also going to be paying MUCH, MUCH more in repairs (when something goes wrong). Hell... an oil change costs nearly $30 more from what I've seen (and that's doing it yourself).

I'd much rather have something I could afford that will spank a slightly modded ///M3 than an ///M3 which I would need to sell my left arm for that would spank a Z06.

330i/Ci Bang for the Buck Horsepower Guide
Want 5% off any BimmerBrakes.com purchase? PM me for details!
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #23
dan92neale330ci

My Ride: 00 330ci
I would always have a 330 with 300@the wheels over a 300@the wheels m3, seriously where is the fun in it, i wanna build a fast car not buy one
dan92neale330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #24
330Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan92neale330ci View Post
I would always have a 330 with 300@the wheels over a 300@the wheels m3, seriously where is the fun in it, i wanna build a fast car not buy one
speed is speed i just look for the most efficient way of getting it. most of the time its building something up
Old 02-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #25
DarkJoker

My Ride: 01 330ci
^you'll learn someday that its not always best to buy the most badass car off the factory line when you can build one for cheaper

its like when you go shopping for lets say a subaru

sure theres the STI sitting all nice and pretty pretuned from factory with all the goodies
but what about that regular wrx over there thats $8k cheaper(not actual #'s)

if you use the thought pattern
hey i could get the wrx and mod/tune it the way i want with the parts i want and destroy that oh so praised STI and laugh at the people wasted the money on the STI
and still have money left over to do whatever with or save of an in case sh!t happens fund

theres always someone thats going to be faster

just do what makes you happy and content and tell everyone else to eff off

shit i painted my wheels green(2 weeks old brand new) because i wanted to
all my friends were like dont do it
i did it and anyone that see's them in person is like wow

Last edited by DarkJoker; 02-02-2012 at 10:59 PM.
DarkJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #26
hassmaschine

My Ride: '91 325ix
OK. How much does it cost to take an M54 to 300whp? Anyone? Including dyno tuning?

keeping in mind it has similar (less) displacement to the S54, but an M54 (with the aluminum block) can't rev nearly as high. so to get the same power out of it, you have to somehow make a LOT more torque at a lower RPM. Since the S54 is already over 100% VE, I'd like to see how that's possible with a smaller engine that can't rev as high and the head doesn't flow anywhere nearly as well (even modded, there's no way you're going to come close). I'm having a hard time believing it's even possible, without cubic dollars, or that it would live longer than 50,000 miles.

Also, the regular WRXs have crap transmissions. I wouldn't want to run STI power levels through them. Plus you still have to upgrade the brakes, axles, etc, and it won't have the STI center diff, rear diff, etc. etc. It still won't be an STI even if you manage to make it as fast (without destroying the transmission..).

E46 M3s aren't exactly expensive these days, either. they're already almost 3 generations old, they're only goign to get cheaper. I can see if you've already got a nice 330i, that you might want to mod it instead, but if you were starting from scratch...
hassmaschine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #27
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
OK. How much does it cost to take an M54 to 300whp? Anyone? Including dyno tuning? I would say based on my experience, start with $20,000 and be prepared to add more. I only know of one Race Car motor M54B30 that made those WHP numbers, even a little better. But the cost was EXTREME, & it was not what I'd call street-able.

keeping in mind it has similar (less) displacement to the S54, but an M54 (with the aluminum block) can't rev nearly as high. so to get the same power out of it, you have to somehow make a LOT more torque at a lower RPM. Since the S54 is already over 100% VE, I'd like to see how that's possible with a smaller engine that can't rev as high and the head doesn't flow anywhere nearly as well (even modded, there's no way you're going to come close). I'm having a hard time believing it's even possible, without cubic dollars, or that it would live longer than 50,000 miles.

Also, the regular WRXs have crap transmissions. I wouldn't want to run STI power levels through them. Plus you still have to upgrade the brakes, axles, etc, and it won't have the STI center diff, rear diff, etc. etc. It still won't be an STI even if you manage to make it as fast (without destroying the transmission..).

E46 M3s aren't exactly expensive these days, either. they're already almost 3 generations old, they're only goign to get cheaper. I can see if you've already got a nice 330i, that you might want to mod it instead, but if you were starting from scratch...
So yes, I'd have to agree with you, 300 N/A WHP on a M54B30 motor is just not realistic. I myself may get close, but that last give or take 30 N/A WHP is not likely obtainable.

Rob

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #28
330Cole

It's fun and pretty cool to build something up but if your going for all out performance, starting higher up will help
Old 02-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #29
rbrthh

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Just saying i got an 02 330 making 440hp it took a good deal of money but i can crush most everything i meet on the road.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Bimmer App
rbrthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #30
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrthh View Post
Just saying i got an 02 330 making 440hp it took a good deal of money but i can crush most everything i meet on the road.

lol i smell some bulshit ... i don't think your supercharged 330 makes 440hp. prove it or your lying.. lets see some dynos and pics
Old 02-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #31
rbrthh

Stage III ASA-Technik Supercharger w/ Custom ECU

Technik Camshaft

Technik V2 Headers

Random Tech Race Catalytic Converter

Brembo BBK 15" Front and Rear Kits

E46 M3 Getrag 6sp. Manual Transmission

Rogue Motorsports Race Clutch and flywheel

Dinan Bored Throttle Body

Dinan Exhaust

still sound like bullshit?
Old 02-12-2012, 02:25 AM   #32
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Quote:

Quote:
Stage III ASA-Technik Supercharger w/ Custom ECU

Technik Camshaft

Technik V2 Headers

Random Tech Race Catalytic Converter

Brembo BBK 15" Front and Rear Kits

E46 M3 Getrag 6sp. Manual Transmission

Rogue Motorsports Race Clutch and flywheel

Dinan Bored Throttle Body

Dinan Exhaust

still sound like bullshit?

Lets face it anyone can list off performance parts.

Dyno ?

When someone makes a HP claim like yours, they normally can back it up, can you ?

Also, if your 440 is at the crank, the Dynojet WHP figure (SAE) corrected would be about 361 WHP. On the dyno I do all my tuning on (DynoDynamics) that WHP figure comes down to about 319 WHP. Still a good number, but suddenly; I'm really not that impressed.

Good luck.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!

Last edited by Rob43; 02-12-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:27 AM   #33
rbrthh

It is a bhp reading i think its like 380 or something at the wheels ill see if i can find the sheet and grab a picture