E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 62 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #541
napaxcon

My Ride: 02 325i
hes right, dremel that *****! oreder new ones get your pieces all together before you do this. if you prepare you can make it a one time thing. in and out. done deal. i went back in my door maybe a dozen times before i fixed my problems. now i could use a new vapor barrior from all the abuse it took. take your ime make sure you have everything you need and do it. remember doing it right the first time will save you alot of trouble in the future. im so glad i stopped trying to cheat my car and just did what had to be done.
napaxcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:14 PM   #542
BMW86

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmersGarage View Post
@BMW86
Once that bolt is stripped like that.. You will need to use a dremel with a 1" cutting disc to slice a "slot" into the old bolt and get a flathead screwdriver to unscrew it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYJAY_325i View Post
Try drilling a hole with a drill bit about the size of the screws base. Then buy some easy-outs bits from sears and use a small hand held drill to extract. Remember to go really slow so bit will grip better.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by napaxcon View Post
hes right, dremel that *****! oreder new ones get your pieces all together before you do this. if you prepare you can make it a one time thing. in and out. done deal. i went back in my door maybe a dozen times before i fixed my problems. now i could use a new vapor barrior from all the abuse it took. take your ime make sure you have everything you need and do it. remember doing it right the first time will save you alot of trouble in the future. im so glad i stopped trying to cheat my car and just did what had to be done.
Thanks for the advice, I was almost ready to dealer it and let them deal with the problem. I already have a Dremel but I'm about to go to Bunnings to pick up a 1 inch cutting disc as I don't have one. I'll try and pick up the equivalent of the same screw when I get there but it will be hard to find one until I pull the old one out. I've already pulled the door apart a few times, I'm hoping this will be the end of it.
BMW86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:26 AM   #543
BMW86

So I used the dremel with the metal cutting disc and removed the bolt. Everything went smoothly after that point. One of the plastic clips from the inside of my aluminium trim broke at the end but I might just use some double sided tape. Besides that, the installation was successful. Thanks for all your input, I appreciate it.

I did notice that the window does not open/close with the one touch feature. By that I mean I can press the button once and it opens and closes automatically without having to hold the button.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:26 AM   #544
BMW86

So I used the dremel with the metal cutting disc and removed the bolt. Everything went smoothly after that point. One of the plastic clips from the inside of my aluminium trim broke at the end but I might just use some double sided tape. Besides that, the installation was successful. Thanks for all your input, I appreciate it.

I did notice that the window does not open/close with the one touch feature. By that I mean I can press the button once and it opens and closes automatically without having to hold the button.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:29 AM   #545
cherrimw

My Ride: 2005 x3 6 Speed :)
Driver's Side Window Will Not Close

I have a 2005 x3 that has been quite a difficult car to own, but I really do love it....

Yesterday I was sitting for a few minutes with the car key on for fan blower and to open the window, then shut the key off and went to turn the car on and it wouldn't start (apparent dead battery).

After jumping the car, the driver's side window will not close. Nothing at all when I use the button.

Not sure what the best course of action is... check the regulator or could it be the motor? The other windows operate properly.

Minimally I probably need to take the door apart to put the window up. I drove home last night 3 hours in pouring rain with the window stuck down... You have to have a sense of humor with these BMWs sometimes.

Thanks for the advice!
cherrimw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:08 AM   #546
munya

My Ride: 2012 Legacy GT
Send a message via AIM to munya
I have a stupid question. How do I open the trunk if i closed it after disconnecting the battery?
munya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:00 AM   #547
kroh

My Ride: 2001ish 325i
Send a message via ICQ to kroh Send a message via AIM to kroh
Quote:
Originally Posted by munya View Post
I have a stupid question. How do I open the trunk if i closed it after disconnecting the battery?
Maybe I'm oversimplifying, but the first thing to try would be to use the key. There's a lock cylinder to the right of the license plate. Turn the key a quarter turn to the right and it'll pop open. (If you turn the key a quarter turn to the left, you can pull the key back out, and then the trunk is in "valet mode" where the button inside won't work, and a valet key won't open the trunk. You have to use the fob to open it.)

If your lock cylinder is broken, though... you. are. ****ed.
    • Stage II flash
    • Strut brace
  • Bavarian Autosport ignition
  • Z3 short shift kit
  • Turner Motorsport
    • Subframe reinforcement
    • Front & rear swaybars
    • Rear CA bushing limiters
  • ZHP/Bilstein suspension
  • MTech II kit/OEM facelift
  • Ski hatch Solo-Baric sub
kroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:43 PM   #548
cbrfire

My Ride: 325i
window alignment and more crunching sounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adepino View Post
Mine is doing the same exact thing... I zip tied it and it still crunches up and down... I did remove the motor and ran it open, mine didn't do anything abnormal and made no odd noises... So removed the regulator again and manually moved the sliders back and forth and I could hear the noise only inside the white plastic gear that hooks to the motor when it us assembled... U have to move the slider some what fast to hear it... I hasn't fixed it yet but all I can figure is that it needs to be replaced.. But u said u did that. Did u buy a brand new one from BMW? Or was is aftermarket?
Many thanks to the OP for the post, I wouldn't have learnt this much if not for her. As for gembob and Adepino, my experience might help .. I also continued to have the crunching sounds after completing this DIY, and then observed that of the two the pulleys at the bottom (one on each arm), one pulley had popped out of its sockets and had rotated sideways, loosening the cable and causing the window to misalign and the terrible sounds. This is due to plastic breakage of the pulley anchors.

See pictures ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1079.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	420455   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1080.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	420456   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1081.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	420457  
cbrfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:17 AM   #549
OrientBlau

My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by munya View Post
Are you kidding?

Try using your key.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #550
murda46

My Ride: 330i
Great write up!

Baltimoron 04' 330i 19's
murda46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:32 PM   #551
digitalwanderer

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Just wanted to add a thank you to the original poster. Spent the afternoon tearing my door apart/fixing bits/putting it back together and I'm just having the best time making my window go up and down and laughing. (I'm easily amused)

Thanks for the write-up, it was fantastic!
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:16 AM   #552
omodos

My Ride: 318 auto n42
anybody ordered and used these replacement parts rather than replacing the whole thing?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2608969875...84.m1436.l2648
omodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:42 AM   #553
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
^
First of all, the amount of work needed from you to remove the failed regulator out of the door and then to take off the busted mount-clip from the regulator itself < IF indeed it's all that broke...

Then to remount this new plastic clip on without any guarantee that it will be working (aligned properly) til after you put everything back into the door doesn't really seem like it's worth the money (or Time) saved.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:15 AM   #554
omodos

Quote:
^
First of all, the amount of work needed from you to remove the failed regulator out of the door and then to take off the busted mount-clip from the regulator itself < IF indeed it's all that broke...

Then to remount this new plastic clip on without any guarantee that it will be working (aligned properly) til after you put everything back into the door doesn't really seem like it's worth the money (or Time) saved.
Fair point, have already done passenger side front and both rears and the only thing broke was the slider mechanism plastic...so used the cable tie trick and some other diy and so far so good, and thought instead of doing more repairs to give this part a shot....these parts are truly crap....i would expect more from bmw in terms of qaulity, and what's to say original bmw replacement parts OEM slider etc etc wont go wrong again soon?
Old 11-21-2011, 11:00 AM   #555
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
^
Agreed, the quality of these original BMW window regulators are truly sub par. However, the knockoff cheap stuff from eBay are even MORE so.

Granted the original parts does (& has failed) you need to consider how long they did last. If you can get 5 years out of another OEM regulator, that's well worth having go through this repair process, Again...

Last edited by BimmersGarage; 11-21-2011 at 11:02 AM.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:24 AM   #556
omodos

Quote:
^
Agreed, the quality of these original BMW window regulators are truly sub par. However, the knockoff cheap stuff from eBay are even MORE so.

Granted the original parts does (& has failed) you need to consider how long they did last. If you can get 5 years out of another OEM regulator, that's well worth having go through this repair process, Again...
Good point they have all lasted at least 4 years but no idea if previous owner replaced them before me?....my plan is to order the cheap stuff just to see the type of plastic used (brittle type is used on the OEM that is silly) take the broken one out and see if I can 'upgrade&fix' the OEM part with a bit of welding and head scratching.....
Old 02-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #557
commonelement

My Ride: 2002 330i
Great DIY. I put in a aftermarket motor regulator and guide. The 8mm flange bolts that attached to the red window clips were installed so tight (Whoever owned the car previously) that I had to replace them with new 6m 1.0 hex bolts. Worked like a charm. The only issue is that the window rubs against the rubber seals and makes a squeaking noise. Thoughts Anyone? Maybe lube the rubber?
commonelement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #558
celluloidheros

My Ride: 2001 330 xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieB330 View Post
Just did this on my front passenger door, and now the auto up won't work. It's smooth going down, and just a tad slow going up, but only the auto up won't work. Any ideas on why? Auto down works fine btw. Thanks
That's becuz your door is open, it's a BMW safety deal, close your door and you will be all set.
celluloidheros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #559
tanik

My Ride: 02 e46 bmw 325i
Send a message via AIM to tanik Send a message via MSN to tanik
is there a diy for the rear? i cant seem to take the door panel off for the rear. I took out four screws and not coming off is there more screws somewhere i cannot see?
tanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:55 AM   #560
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
i frikin used safety wire to do mine. fuk a zip tie. safety wire wrapped around about 2 or 3 times, snugly above and below.
Ive used enough ziptie on my motorcycles to know that zip ties eventually give out when it rubs on metal too much.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote