E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #21
817bimmerfanatic

My Ride: is schön!
Send a message via ICQ to 817bimmerfanatic
Be careful, I had this exact kit in my 325 and after about 5 months of it grabbing hard every time it shredded my 2nd gear, it was just way to hard on it. I could see it being in a track car or something that isn't a daily but def not a daily.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #22
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyjay View Post
You wont have chatter from a sprung clutch disc. The chatter comes from a unsprung disc. Also the pressure plate in the kit is also self adjusting. Im glad to hear the clutch is working the way it is suppose to.

Your statement is not accurate or true, please do not post up information like this based on supposition.

A sprung hub disc will chatter, just not as much as a solid unsprung disc. With the use of a sprung clutch disc & UUC's fluid "cocktail", clutch chatter can be kept to a bare minimum.

As a performance mod the LTW clutch & flywheel really is a great one, the benefits really out way any drawbacks.

Rob

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!

Last edited by Rob43; 02-01-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #23
TiAg2247

My Ride: E39 M5 | E55 AMG
Member BMW_Stu has had his STG3 setup for almost 50000 miles (!!!) now and has nothing but praise for this kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 817bimmerfanatic View Post
Be careful, I had this exact kit in my 325 and after about 5 months of it grabbing hard every time it shredded my 2nd gear, it was just way to hard on it. I could see it being in a track car or something that isn't a daily but def not a daily.
What's to say your 2nd gear was not already on it's way out?

Imola Red M5 | Imola Red Interior
GT Exhaust, Custom BC Coilovers, 19x10 + 19x11 Rial Dayonta Race, Michelin PSS

Daily: 335i M-Sport Alpine White / Coral Red
Cobb STG1+, FMIC, H&R Sport, BMW Perf Style 313

Past:
'04 E55 AMG
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
TiAg2247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #24
sunnyjay

My Ride: 01 330i
No hard feelings taken, I stand corrected. After all life is just one giant education system. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
Your statement is not accurate or true, please do not post up information like this based on supposition.

A sprung hub disc will chatter, just not as much as a solid unsprung disc. With the use of a sprung clutch disc & UUC's fluid "cocktail", clutch chatter can be kept to a bare minimum.

As a performance mod the LTW clutch & flywheel really is a great one, the benefits really out way any drawbacks.

Rob
sunnyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #25
Tony3series

My Ride: 2003 325Ci (5-speed)
About 50 miles on it now (I have a very short commute HaHa)

Either I'm getting used to driving it, or it feels more smooth like stock now. Easy to engage at all speeds. Smooth if you want it to be. Grabs harder than sh*t if you want it to as well.

Still trying to take it easy on it, but I must admit I've taken it over 6k rpms on a handful of occasions. Revs climb quick. Love it. I know I only have a 2.5 with headers/intake/vanos etc. But this clutch/flywheel has really woken the car up!
2003 BMW 325ci: Sport package, F1 Racing Stage II clutch/lightweight flywheel, AFE intake, Ebay headers,KONI YELLOWS/new mounts, Beisan Vanos seals, angel eyes, CDV delete, Curt trailer hitch, LED tails, lip spoiler, blacked out grill&trim&bumper reflectors. Tons of maintenance items done.
Tony3series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:37 AM   #26
TiAg2247

How's the flywheels chatter?

Past:
'04 E55 AMG
Old 02-14-2012, 08:06 AM   #27
Tony3series

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
How's the flywheels chatter?
So far I have none whatsoever. Not even with AC on full blast, at idle, in driveway, sticking my head under car, listening hard for it. It's great!
2003 BMW 325ci: Sport package, F1 Racing Stage II clutch/lightweight flywheel, AFE intake, Ebay headers,KONI YELLOWS/new mounts, Beisan Vanos seals, angel eyes, CDV delete, Curt trailer hitch, LED tails, lip spoiler, blacked out grill&trim&bumper reflectors. Tons of maintenance items done.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:50 AM   #28
TiAg2247

Perfect

I'm probably going to go with the Stage 3, hopefully I don't get any either. Same FW though, not lighter than yours.

Past:
'04 E55 AMG
Old 02-15-2012, 10:37 AM   #29
Tony3series

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
Perfect

I'm probably going to go with the Stage 3, hopefully I don't get any either. Same FW though, not lighter than yours.
Hopefully it stays this quiet in warm weather as well, I guess we'll see soon enough. Don't forget to use the UUC special trans fluid blend! I wonder if there will be any difference in chatter because you have a 330? Different dynamics of that engine might change things? Either way I'm sure it'll be worth it, chatter or not I love this set-up

Stage 3 might be a pain in the butt for a daily driver, but I'm sure you're aware of the benefits/downsides of a 6 puck ceramic. Just don't get stuck in too many traffic jams with it!
Old 02-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #30
Tony3series

I wonder if anyone has ever tried putting a sound deadening material like dynamat on the trans case to help with chatter? It'd have to be able to withstand the high temps the case puts off, but I'm sure there's a product out there up to the task... Hmmmm. If you think about it it should work.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #31
moranor

My Ride: 323i
i would only put dynamat on the tunnel not the trans because it needs airflow to keep cool...

Last edited by moranor; 02-15-2012 at 11:38 AM.
moranor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #32
Tony3series

Quote:
Originally Posted by moranor View Post
i would only put dynamat on the tunnel on the trans because it needs airflow to keep cool...
Ahh, good point. Guess I wasn't thinkin
Old 02-15-2012, 11:38 AM   #33
moranor

My Ride: 323i
one of the reasons i dont like vented hoods
moranor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:13 PM   #34
TiAg2247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony3series View Post
Hopefully it stays this quiet in warm weather as well, I guess we'll see soon enough. Don't forget to use the UUC special trans fluid blend! I wonder if there will be any difference in chatter because you have a 330? Different dynamics of that engine might change things? Either way I'm sure it'll be worth it, chatter or not I love this set-up

Stage 3 might be a pain in the butt for a daily driver, but I'm sure you're aware of the benefits/downsides of a 6 puck ceramic. Just don't get stuck in too many traffic jams with it!
Yeah I'll definitely be using that mix for MTF. A fellow member here (BMW_Stu) is using the Stage 3 kit on his 330 with the Chromoly FW and reported some chatter, but nothing too dramatic or annoying; nor any difference in daily driving. I wouldn't mind a heavier clutch, I feel my stock one is too light/mushy. I prefer my cars to be hard driving machines. I wonder if the 6 puck clutches are slightly lighter, therefore lowering the overall weight of the setup and thus transmitting the chatter vs. the Stage 2 clutch. Either way, I'm sure you're right that this will be a great upgrade to the driving characteristic of my car.
Quote:
I wonder if anyone has ever tried putting a sound deadening material like dynamat on the trans case to help with chatter? It'd have to be able to withstand the high temps the case puts off, but I'm sure there's a product out there up to the task... Hmmmm. If you think about it it should work.
That sounds like a good idea - maybe it'll help with some drone, too. Would Dynamat hold up to the heat experienced in the tunnel?

Past:
'04 E55 AMG
Old 02-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #35
Tony3series

I don't know if dynamat will hold up but I'm sure there is a product out there that can. When I get back on later I might look around for high temp sound deadener for sh*ts and giggles.

I don't think the clutch itself being lighter will help with rattle. From what I understand the rattle only comes when clutch pedal is up and gear selector in neutral. Like when sitting idle at a stop light, in neutral, with foot off clutch. Thats where the flywheel spins on its own without any load applied. That's when the car will chatter. The clutch itself wont be spinning in that case. Should have no effect if I understand everything correctly.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #36
TiAg2247

Thanks for the clarification. I think you're right.

Past:
'04 E55 AMG
Old 02-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #37
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
Op looks like he's gunna have a solid setup.. I have 105k on my original clutch and if op's holds up I might go this same exact route
Old 02-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #38
phamine

My Ride: 01 Orient Blue 330i
Send a message via AIM to phamine Send a message via Yahoo to phamine
Quote:
So far I have none whatsoever. Not even with AC on full blast, at idle, in driveway, sticking my head under car, listening hard for it. It's great!

I have the same setup with the same fluids.

It will chatter once it gets warm.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #39
threetwentyfizzle

My Ride: '00 323i
I'm sold on this kit! Been needing a new clutch since I bought my car a year and a half ago. Engagement is at the very very top of pedal and is a pain in the ass drive to say the least. Will be picking mine up once my tax return finally arrives.

Thanks for all the info OP. How is your break-in going on the new kit?
threetwentyfizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #40
Elephant1

My Ride: E30, E36, E46, E39
Are you guys talking about clutch chatter or gear rattle in the trans? These are 2 different things. In neutral, declutched....this noise is gear rattle in the trans, that's why the fluid mix. Clutch chatter is when declutching to get the car moving forward and it "slips" but not in a smooth fashion as it does with an organic type disc. A sprung hub version can possibly help this but if you're installing this type of disc this should not be on your list of worries. If it is, use a different disc.

Cheers.
E39 540 6spd (wrecked, parting out)
E36 M3 (for sale as roller/race car project)
Elephant1 is offline   Reply With Quote