E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #221
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
light my hair on fire? cotton balls in vaseline?

I'm going camping this summer (before Hurricane season) so I hope to learn by then. I also have clif bars and a water filtration straw. Can I suck the water up and spit it into the bag?
Pick up a cheap striker or a bunch of cheap bic lighters. That, along with cotton balls and a jar of vaseline should run you under $10 for nearly unlimited fire starting.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #222
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Pick up a cheap striker or a bunch of cheap bic lighters. That, along with cotton balls and a jar of vaseline should run you under $10 for nearly unlimited fire starting.
You can get a Swedish Firesteel for cheap. I also picked up a brick of 100 lighters from Sam's for $10.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #223
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
You can get a Swedish Firesteel for cheap. I also picked up a brick of 100 lighters from Sam's for $10.
Yup! Swedish firesteel is what I have, along with a handful of fireproof matches, and a bunch of lighters from Sams, as well.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #224
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Yup! Swedish firesteel is what I have, along with a handful of fireproof matches, and a bunch of lighters from Sams, as well.
I read that even bic lighters will be good for a spark long after the fluid is gone.

I also ordered a 50 pack of clif bars for fast food.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #225
al0513

My Ride: 04 Silver Gray 330CI
2" of snow in texas would mean a lot of accidents. People down here do not know how to drive on ice/snow. Last year, we went out in the snow to my buddys house, (roommate has an avalanche) and we witnessed 4 accidents within just a few blocks of each other. This was also at night and not many cars were on the road. we stopped to make sure the drivers (mainly girls, true story) were okay.

Preppers show on Nat Geo is pretty interesting, but I agree, a little overboard. There has been some great ideas- like the gasifier- but I dont plan on changing my backyard into a mini farm and I'm not going to start raising chickens.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #226
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Think i'm going to start putting together a bug out bag this year...lots of good info in this thread.

Anybody with first aid/med experience think this is a reasonable/good deal. Local EMT on the forum puts them together and sells them they are $75:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=69628

include:
(2) Tape (one small, one big)
(3) Cravat/Triangular bandage
(35) 4x4s
(6) Roller Gauze
(2) 8x12
(1) 12x30 w/ plastic wrapping
(4) Tegaderm (its like a plastic adhesive dressing)
(1) CPR Mask (the good kind that actually is a mask)
(1) Shears (EMT scissors)
(lots) of gloves. They are Large but ask if you need a smaller/larger size.
Bandaids

Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:02 AM   #227
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
That's not bad. Pretty fair price for what you get. It's not trauma-oriented, but looks like more of a general first aid kit.
I'd add the following:
-CELOX or Quik-Clot powder AND gauze
-tourniquet
-hemostats
-tweezers
-OTC meds like ibuprofen, aspirin, benadryl, etc. Get this: http://www.austereprovisions.com/Pro...tCode=APC-72SC
-Bacitracin triple antibiotic
-iodine swabs (can also be used to disinfect/purify water)
-container of sterile saline (flushing wounds or treating burns)
-SAM splint

Most of the stuff you can get from CVS or Walgreens.
However, I'd also recommend that you check out http://www.austereprovisions.com/. They have some great medical kit.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel

Last edited by Reedo302; 02-21-2012 at 04:06 AM.
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:54 AM   #228
al0513

My Ride: 04 Silver Gray 330CI
^ most of the OTC meds, I have around my house. I bought some small baggies, something you would see a drug dealer use, at walmart (100 for $2), and have them stored in my BOB.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #229
ride365

Was just at CVS, and in the back by the pharmacy there was a display offer that you might be interested in. They have empty first aid kit cases (soft bag with zipper) that you get for free if you buy 3 items from certain brands. The bonus is that in the bag there are coupons for many of the things you would include. I thought this would be a little helpful for anyone trying to put a kit together themselves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cvs_first-aid_kit.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	446406  
Old 04-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #230
mindofarock

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Didn't read thread.

Divide gear into two.
Backpack = survival gear
BodyArmor, Machete, Fire starting kit, Water filtration, First Aid, Guns/Ammo, Paracord, Multi-tool, Map/Compass, Canteen

Dufflebag = comfort
Socks, Gloves, Thermal Clothing, SleepingBag, Tent, MRE/WaterPackets, MessKit
Old 04-14-2012, 03:21 AM   #231
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
No I do not. I am prepared right at home.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:29 AM   #232
MrWesson

My Ride: 01 330CI/09 328i
IMO bug out bags are stupid unless you have a bug out location and a plan to get there in all situations like clogged up highways.

I plan on staying put and if I have to leave I can make a bug out bag in no time.
MrWesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:13 AM   #233
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWesson View Post
IMO bug out bags are stupid unless you have a bug out location and a plan to get there in all situations like clogged up highways.

I plan on staying put and if I have to leave I can make a bug out bag in no time.
There are some things that require pre planning. I have a charcoal straw filter in my bag but wouldnt think to buy one at home considering all the stored water.

If there is a federal evacuation, you just go and stay where they put you. IMO there are lots better places to be than at 0ft sea level: regardless of a planned location.

Oh, i have a moto for clogged highways.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #234
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindofarock View Post
Didn't read thread.

Divide gear into two.
Backpack = survival gear
BodyArmor, Machete, Fire starting kit, Water filtration, First Aid, Guns/Ammo, Paracord, Multi-tool, Map/Compass, Canteen

Dufflebag = comfort
pick up a protractor for your map and compass. You'll want more than one canteen. Get a solid e-tool. Some rope that will support your weight + equipment on top of the paracord.

Compile this into one bag as much as possible. There's nothing worse than trying to carry two bags overland. Leave out the thermal gear, and add it if necessary when you need the bag (if you're in a situation where you are literally running out the door and grabbing the bag on the way out, let's face it, you're probably not prepared for what's outside anyway). Don't pack your bag to as heavy as you can carry, leave some room to add stuff that you may think of before leaving/stuff you may pick up on the way. Be able to carry the weight comfortably for long distances (I'd say 10 miles).

Tent, maybe, if it's very small and very light. If not, just get a basic poncho.

Add a flashlight and some batteries. Search for flashlights with the longest life, not the brightest light. And get something that uses a common battery (AA, AAA). As much as I love my Surefire, batteries can be tough to find.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #235
leftbank

My Ride: M5, M3
bug out bag plus...

two enduros - roads will be clogged. need off/on road vehicle to circumvent most obstacles. destination: brother in laws huge farm.
leftbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #236
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindofarock View Post
Didn't read thread.

Divide gear into two.
Backpack = survival gear

Dufflebag = comfort
It might be a good idea to read the thread first. It's only six pages, and it's actually filled with some really good information and ideas.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #237
JTLaz

My Ride: Can now offroad
I just bought the shell of my bug-out bag last night. I'm going to slowly add in additional items like clothing, MREs, stuff from the dollar store. What do you guys think?

MAGLITE SP2201H 2-AA Cell Mini LED Flashlight with Holster, Black
Potable Aqua Water Treatment Tablets
Cold Steel Kukri Machete with PVC Handle
Swedish Firesteel - Army Model, Black Handle
Nalgene BPA Free Tritan Oasis Canteen 32 Oz Narrow Mouth Bottle, Gray
Smith's PP1 Pocket Pal Multifunction Sharpener
Chainmate CM-24SSP 24-Inch Survival Pocket Chain Saw With Pouch
Leatherman 830850 Skeletool CX Multitool
512 G.I. Type Stainless Steel Canteen Cup
Suunto A-10 Compass
Rothco 550-Pound Desert Type III Commercial (100-Feet, Camo)
NEW CUSCUS 75+10L 5400ci Internal Frame Camping Hiking Travel Backpack - Green
First Aid Only Outdoor First Aid Kit, Soft Case, 205-Piece Kit

And I have my Springfield .40 that will be in it. However, I'm thinking about buying a 1911 9mm that would be a better fit for the bag.

Last edited by JTLaz; 05-17-2012 at 10:29 AM.
JTLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #238
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Buying a 9mm 1911 is like buying a V6 Mustang. That platform was designed to work best with a heavier power source. Much like the Mustang never really being made for the V6, the 1911 really wasn't made for the 9mm. If I wanted a car with a good 6cyl engine, I know that a BMW or Porsche is the best way to get a top quality 6cyl engine. They maximize the capabilities and characteristics of that powerplant.
In much the same way, the 1911 is a big heavy gun designed to shoot the .45. It's a large frame pistol, and it really only fits to shoot .45ACP or 10mm Auto from it. If you want 9mm, there are numerous other platforms out there that are better suited to take advantage of the 9mm platform. You will only have 9 rounds in the magazine or less, and you still have a full size 1911. A full size Glock or S&W M&P9 has 17rds in the magazine, and is going to be a little bit smaller in size than the 1911, and will be much lighter as well. An even better backpack gun is Glock 19, G26 or M&P9c, or get a compact XD. If you're in a Bugout situation, you really want efficiency. Efficient is spare 17rd or 15rd magazines, not a whole mess of 8rd and 9rd mags.
The other big issue is reliability. 1911s are less than reliable pistols. I'm not sure if you have any experience with 1911s or not, but for anyone here reading this that does not have much experience with 1911s, they're not a novice pistol. You have to know how to take care of them, know how to diagnose problems, and either be able to do your own gunsmithing and tuning, or be willing to shell out the money when the time comes. There are quality brands like Springfield that make great 1911s that are robust and pretty reliable (for 1911s), but they still can't touch the reliability of your average combat pistol like a Glock, S&W, HK, FN, Sig, etc. Those are guns that can get dirty, wet, cold, dusty, sandy, salty, iced up, blazing hot, etc. and still perform reliably.
Just my own thoughts on the matter.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:06 AM   #239
JTLaz

My Ride: Can now offroad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Buying a 9mm 1911 is like buying a V6 Mustang. That platform was designed to work best with a heavier power source. Much like the Mustang never really being made for the V6, the 1911 really wasn't made for the 9mm. If I wanted a car with a good 6cyl engine, I know that a BMW or Porsche is the best way to get a top quality 6cyl engine. They maximize the capabilities and characteristics of that powerplant.
In much the same way, the 1911 is a big heavy gun designed to shoot the .45. It's a large frame pistol, and it really only fits to shoot .45ACP or 10mm Auto from it. If you want 9mm, there are numerous other platforms out there that are better suited to take advantage of the 9mm platform. You will only have 9 rounds in the magazine or less, and you still have a full size 1911. A full size Glock or S&W M&P9 has 17rds in the magazine, and is going to be a little bit smaller in size than the 1911, and will be much lighter as well. An even better backpack gun is Glock 19, G26 or M&P9c, or get a compact XD. If you're in a Bugout situation, you really want efficiency. Efficient is spare 17rd or 15rd magazines, not a whole mess of 8rd and 9rd mags.
The other big issue is reliability. 1911s are less than reliable pistols. I'm not sure if you have any experience with 1911s or not, but for anyone here reading this that does not have much experience with 1911s, they're not a novice pistol. You have to know how to take care of them, know how to diagnose problems, and either be able to do your own gunsmithing and tuning, or be willing to shell out the money when the time comes. There are quality brands like Springfield that make great 1911s that are robust and pretty reliable (for 1911s), but they still can't touch the reliability of your average combat pistol like a Glock, S&W, HK, FN, Sig, etc. Those are guns that can get dirty, wet, cold, dusty, sandy, salty, iced up, blazing hot, etc. and still perform reliably.
Just my own thoughts on the matter.
Thanks reedo. I didn't know that. As for the combat pistols, you are referring to Beretta M9s and Sig P220s, etc, correct?
JTLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:11 AM   #240
speedcrazy1532

My Ride: is over
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTLaz View Post
Thanks reedo. I didn't know that. As for the combat pistols, you are referring to Beretta M9s and Sig P220s, etc, correct?
Meh. He's mostly referring to the S&W M&P, Glocks, and FN Herstals FNX/FNP type pistols. Even the newer Sigs are showing some reliability problems from what I've heard and seen firsthand. The guns are simple by design and made of lightweight material. The Beretta is a great gun(I love them) but doesn't really fit the bill as to what you're going for with a BOB. The Storm from Beretta might be a better choice.

Basically, you want something that you're not going to have to fix or diagnose in a high stress situation. The 1911 could be that gun, but they have a higher rate of tunability, therefore things can get out of whack easier.

-Phil
speedcrazy1532 is offline   Reply With Quote