E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 09:53 PM   #21
dslboomer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330I
I recommended to check spark plugs after getting codes to see if certain cylinders are having a problem. Wait till you get the codes.

Don't remove injectors. You will not able to see anything visually causing this problem.

You can get a stethoscope from Autozone or harbor freight.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...mString=search

Judging from the previous codes of 1084 and 1086, all cylinders are affected.
Possible causes:
1. Too much fuel pressure:
Rent a fuel pressure gauge from Autozone or Advanced auto part and measure the fuel pressure both at idle and higher rpm. It shoud be around 50 psi.
a) Check vacuum line going into the fuel pressure regulator at fuel filter. This vacuum line start at F-connector on the intake boot (right behind MAF). Plug one end and blow from the other side.
b) Did you change the fuel filter? Fuel pressure regulator may be bad if vaccum is okay.
2. Stuck open injectors
3. Bad MAF - you have new
dslboomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #22
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
You can use a hose for stethoscope...5' of garden hose would work...you can get a rubber washing machine connection hose and just cut off the ends. Cheap and effective!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:53 AM   #23
PRDesignsTony

My Ride: 02 330ci
I do have an extra fuel filter new in box, i'll try to replace that today. Now you mentioned the F-connection tube on the upper intake boot, you want me to disconnect it on the intake boot??? If i blow and its free than im guessing their is a leak???
Old 02-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #24
dslboomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRDesignsTony View Post
... the F-connection tube on the upper intake boot, you want me to disconnect it on the intake boot??? If i blow and its free than im guessing their is a leak???
Yes, exactly!
Fuel pressure regulator side should not leak.
Blow on the smaller diameter hose.

Last edited by dslboomer; 02-15-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #25
PRDesignsTony

alright so i blew into that little hose, it wasn't easy to blow in but i was still able to get some air through.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:23 PM   #26
Killabeast

My Ride: 01 325ci
I wouldn't think the fuel pressure regulator would cause it...I broke that little F tube thing it hooks to last year and while I was waiting for the part I drove my car around for a few days without that thing connected and it ran just fine. Also you're getting a too rich code in both banks. That means something is causing it to add more fuel to all cylinders. Could be O2 sensors? Usually that's what causes too lean or too rich codes. My uncle just replaced one O2 sensor in his Tahoe with the same sort of symptoms as you and it has less then 30,000 miles on it. He went through all kinds of crap and that one O2 sensor did the trick. A vacuum leak could also give weird symptoms like that though. Does the car idle rough or anything like that?
Killabeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #27
PRDesignsTony

let me make a video for you guys
Old 02-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #28
dslboomer

Quote:
... but i was still able to get some air through.
So you think there is a leak?
When in doubt, you can use this tool to test it. If it doens't hold vacuum, it is leaking. I am not sure Autozone has one for rent or not. You can call and find out.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=70116_0_0_

If there is a leak in the system, you may have cut in vacuum line or leaking fuel pressure regulator.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #29
PRDesignsTony

^^^ Well if i blow its not supposed to let any air go in what so ever or is it??? If its not supposed to let any air in than its defiantly got a leak. Here is a little short video of the idle and some revs. If you listen closely, when i rev and it drops back down it feels like the car is bugging down and about to die but than it regains. Sometimes white smoke will come from the exhaust, not a lot, and not while driving, just during idle a little bit comes out sometimes, but not always. Also their is some sort of black crap that comes from the exhaust. Don't mind the dirty car, I will give it a full on detail after i fix the problem and get the new bumper painted.

If I figure the problem out, i'm defiantly going to do a write up on this for other people if they experience the same. My garage door spring broke so waiting on the repair man to come by, as soon as he fixes it im going to change out the fuel filter and see if gets any better. Not going to hurt anything, not like i have to go to the stealership or order one. Got a new one in the box laying around so mind as well. Its about time to change it to.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #30
PRDesignsTony

Alright guys, so I'm pretty sure i figured out why im getting the EML lights or at least why im getting the p1084 and p1086 engine codes. As I got under the car to change the fuel filter, I noticed one of the tubes was broken off and disconnected. I think its the tube that connects to the upper intake boot. The tube that you told me to blow through dslboomer. Now does anybody know the part number for the tube??? it's not just a regular rubber tube, this one has a metal lining inside.

Alright now I also noticed an empty spot here. Is this normal ?? or is their supposed to be another tube here?????
Old 02-15-2012, 09:38 PM   #31
PRDesignsTony

I think this is the part number?????

Old 02-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #32
dslboomer

Quote:
...As I got under the car to change the fuel filter, I noticed one of the tubes was broken off and disconnected. I think its the tube that connects to the upper intake boot....

... now I also noticed an empty spot here. Is this normal ?? or is their supposed to be another tube here?????
Excellent!
Glad to see that you followed through and put efforts to take pictures to share with us.

Hard to match the part number in the realoem.com. Illustrator got lazy on many parts I found. It doesn't have a metal liner. It is 90 degree elbow vacuum hose that was broken off from the vacuum port of fuel pressure regulator. Just take the fuel filter with you to Autozone to get a 90 deg elbow with matching diameter.

You are not missing anything in the clip. It is empty spot there.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:49 PM   #33
PRDesignsTony

awesome defiantly gonna had out to autozone tomorrow, get that elbow, didn't think of that for some reason lol. I will give you guys an update tomorrow. I really hope this fixes my issue, I will replace the old fuel filter with a new one while im at it.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:00 PM   #34
PRDesignsTony

Was really hoping that was going to be my fix. But nope. The light still comes up and car drives funny, still hesitates at times. This problem is starting to piss me off.

Just called the shop that diagnosed it was a CCV thats was cause my issue. Waiting on a call back, Gonna ask how much they charge to just read the codes.

Last edited by PRDesignsTony; 02-16-2012 at 01:20 PM.
PRDesignsTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #35
Killabeast

My Ride: 01 325ci
Quote:
Was really hoping that was going to be my fix. But nope. The light still comes up and car drives funny, still hesitates at times. This problem is starting to piss me off.

Just called the shop that diagnosed it was a CCV thats was cause my issue. Waiting on a call back, Gonna ask how much they charge to just read the codes.
I kinda thought so. Like I said, I drove around for a week with that hose disconnected and never even noticed a difference, Its still good you found that though. I'm putting my money on O2 sensors.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #36
golf_234

My Ride: E46, E90, E82, F22
you can just get hose by the yard from autozone etc, same stuff. and like $1
Old 02-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #37
Mark M

My Ride: e30 M3 / e90 335d
*** Opening statement - I don't know all of the ins and outs of BMW engine management systems *****

However, have you cleared the adaption values?

When things start to wear out or go south, the car learns and readapts. It can readapt short term and long term fuel trim to account for minor vacuum leaks, aging O2 sensors, etc.

One long shot here....you may have already fixed the problem, but the adaption values are still in play making the engine run poorly. A dealer or an independent can reset these adaption values for you.

Also, a couple ideas to test for a vaccum leak:
1. Remove the air filter box and insert a paint can or coke can in the intake hose, clamp it tight.
2. Remove the F pipe. Now lean down and blow hard into the opening on the intake hose where the F pipe was. Listen for leaks. Imagine trying to blow up a balloon.
3. Now blow into the F pipe and listen for leaks.
4. Put the car all back together.
5. Now remove the front crankcase breather hose on top of the valve cover
6. Blow into the hose and listen for leaks. You should hear oil in the pan bubbling from your blowing. If not, you have an obstruction in the CCV system.

Good luck.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #38
PRDesignsTony

^^^^ Just replaced the CCV system. Intake boots are new to, don't have any holes. I'll see if I can find someone to reset my ECU
Old 02-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #39
dslboomer

Quote:

That was discouraging
However, you got to enjoy fixing E46 problems because that's a half of the fun owning E46 aside from nice handling

You seem very handy with cars judging from amount of time you ttook to complete jobs. I highly recommend to get a decent code scanner if you want keep your BMW longer.
Please clear the codes and get the codes when CEL comes back, and let's go from there.

To reset adaption value, remove the negative battery terminal for 15 minutes. However, that will not erase CEL.

Last edited by dslboomer; 02-16-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #40
PRDesignsTony

Yea I know a lot about working on an e46 engine, I've owned 3 e46's, had to fix each one of them. I love working on my cars, its fun, just don't like to spend the money lol but its better than going to a shop or a dealer lol. I really do need to invest in a good code scanner. I got a VW Golf thats been giving me trouble lately as well, but i just ordered a few parts for it. 167k miles on the golf and she still strong as ever.

I reset the values right now, i'm having a friend hook his laptop to the car around 6pm tonight to pull the engine codes and gonna clear them.