E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Classifieds > For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy > Engine & Performance

Engine & Performance
Everything to make your car faster! Air intakes, superchargers, turbos, flywheel & clutch, differentials, chips, short shift kits, exhausts, etc.....

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
gymkhana

My Ride: 2003 330i zhp
2003 330i zhp for sale, silver w/ black leather, engine needs replacement, m3 swap?

hello everyone!

I have a silver 2003 bmw 330i with 90,000 miles on the odometer that I am considering selling because the valves are "burned" and the cylinders are scratched, meaning the engine needs to be rebuilt or replaced. my mechanic said that it would be most efficient to just do a motor swap which is about 4500 and I only have about 3k right now. =(

i would prefer to fix it and keep it but i may or may not be able to, because of many factors including the joy of owning a bmw but i figured i should see what kind of interest there is towards this car right now. people always say nice things about the car everywhere i go. i know in some communites the zhp is highly coveted not only because its a great car, but also because its hard to find . this car has been great to me until this recent and random catastrophe (which was strange because this car has been well maintained). right now i am taking offers for the car as-is (engine is not running, everything else is in good-great condition) this car would be great for a m3 s54 swap which would be a similar cost to a regular motor swap.

KBB private party value for this car is $13,000 and i even tryed typing in 900,000 miles and it was only $10,000, so it appears that these cars hold value very well, though i think 10k for a car with almost a million miles is just silly. im not expecting to get $13,000 out of this car although i aim to find a mutually agreeable and beneficial price.

feel free to email me or call 208-664-0984 and leave a msg if i dont answer.

please no low ballers, thank you.

ps, im in washington
gymkhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
mcfly1204

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
I am interested to hear someone's suggestion on how he might set a price for his car as is. With a value around $14,000, and an estimated repair cost of $5,000-$6,000, the logical answer would be $8,000-$9,000, but is that accurate?
mcfly1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
sunnyjay

My Ride: 01 330i
Most of the use none zhp m54b30 engines in my area are about 2,000 dollars. If you were able to swap the engine yourself or know someone who has mechanical skills, its not that hard. I have done it once. Thats an option for you to take.

The other day I saw a rolled 2002 M3 for 5k, that would be ideal for everything you need to swap into your car. Then you can part the rest of the car and make money from it. Thats another option to consider.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-06-BMW-e4...item231909bc89

Last edited by sunnyjay; 02-17-2012 at 02:34 PM.
sunnyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
mcfly1204

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
If you knew what you were doing, is there any significant difference between install an M3 engine vs. a ZHP engine?
mcfly1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:40 AM   #5
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfly1204 View Post
If you knew what you were doing, is there any significant difference between install an M3 engine vs. a ZHP engine?
Huge difference. harness swap, ECU problems, etc. It is not P&P.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #6
sea6speed

My Ride: 2011 135i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfly1204 View Post
I am interested to hear someone's suggestion on how he might set a price for his car as is. With a value around $14,000, and an estimated repair cost of $5,000-$6,000, the logical answer would be $8,000-$9,000, but is that accurate?
If the car is in immaculate condition and he manages to find a low mileage engine form another ZHP, $14k is realistic. That said, it seems unlikely that someone that can't scrape together enough to replace an engine is driving an otherwise immaculate ZHP.

After engine replacement, a better estimate is probably $10-$11k. It's highly unusual for a well maintained m54b30 to die at 90k miles.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
I bought a 2005 ZHP with 31k miles on the ticker for 3,200 last year. The car did have a blown motor, but was pretty clean besides that.
JohnBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #8
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
@ OP - What exactly led to the engine failure, just out of curiosity. Especially since it was "well maintained". You could probably swap out a non-ZHP engine from a 330 in there without much trouble. I can see it now - 2 years from now, someone in WA buys a nice used silver ZHP, and is wondering why it seems a little underpowered. If you think about it, since there is no insurance claim, the engine swap could easily slip under the radar, and the buyer may never know what he actually has.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #9
MJLavelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea6speed View Post
If the car is in immaculate condition and he manages to find a low mileage engine form another ZHP, $14k is realistic. That said, it seems unlikely that someone that can't scrape together enough to replace an engine is driving an otherwise immaculate ZHP.
It's known as credit. Just because you can borrow enough to buy the car, it does not mean you have the income necessary to pay for a new engine. I see people all the time driving cars that are obviously above their income level. They are usually young, and living with their parents, and the car is their only
expense. That actually describes 90% of the heavily modified Subie drivers out there. That is also why you see cars with $3000 wheels, and the cheapest Chinese crap tires on them. They can't afford to buy the good 19in tires, after the first set of quality tires are wasted in parking lot burnouts. Whenever I see a young guy with a set of very expensive wheels on a car, I always look to see what tires it has. More often than not, it is a bald set of cheap, crappy tires. I saw a set of wheels in the classified section of this site a few weeks ago, on sale for $2000 or so, with a worn out set of Nanking tires on them. And yes, I know that I strayed way off topic here.
BTW - "Imaculate", and "Well Maintained" can mean a lot of things. I have looked at tons of used cars that are described that way. "Imaculate" means that they kept it really clean and polished. "Well Maintained" means they changed the oil, and kept a set of matching tires on it. Which, for aging BMW's, does not mean a damn thing. *****But just to be clear, I AM NOT saying that is the case with the OP's car. He can explain what service was done to any potential buyers, and they can decide for themselves. I have no idea what he has done to care for his car.****
Old 02-18-2012, 11:40 PM   #10
sea6speed

Credit can also be used to purchase a new engine.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:10 AM   #11
sunnyjay

My Ride: 01 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
@ OP - What exactly led to the engine failure, just out of curiosity. Especially since it was "well maintained". You could probably swap out a non-ZHP engine from a 330 in there without much trouble. I can see it now - 2 years from now, someone in WA buys a nice used silver ZHP, and is wondering why it seems a little underpowered. If you think about it, since there is no insurance claim, the engine swap could easily slip under the radar, and the buyer may never know what he actually has.
Im curious myself too. My 330ci is approaching 160k miles and it just burns a bit of oil. Other then burning a bit of oil, its still running perfect.
sunnyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:19 AM   #12
MJLavelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea6speed View Post
Credit can also be used to purchase a new engine.
If that was an option, I would guess we would not be seeing this post. I am not judging the OP on this, because I was in the same position when I was quite young. Hopefully, he can work something out, something that does not involve borrowing more money.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:04 AM   #13
sea6speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
If that was an option, I would guess we would not be seeing this post. I am not judging the OP on this, because I was in the same position when I was quite young. Hopefully, he can work something out, something that does not involve borrowing more money.
Yes, that is my assessment as well. I'm not judging the OP, just trying to determine what the car is worth, as asked, based on provided information.

I believe his best option is to buy a new engine on credit to maximize value. Assuming the car is in otherwise good condition. If, on the other hand, the car was neglected during his ownership I'd rather he just get rid of it.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:13 AM   #14
gymkhana

My Ride: 2003 330i zhp
Update-
To feed your curiosity, i bought the car outright the old fashioned way, straight cash. I was raised to not be a credit whore.
Anyway ill include a pic of the valves and block.
I ultimately ended up selling the car which was painful but neccesary but atleast i got 5500 for it within a couple days of posting an ad and i plan on buying a bimmer in the future.
RIP ZHP
Now id like you to feed my curiosity, what would casu an engine to die in this manner?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1331633581966.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	441688   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1331633600283.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	441689   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1331633620635.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	441690  
gymkhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:29 AM   #15
sea6speed

Odd, you usually see that kind of damage on FI motors that run too lean. Any clue about the previous owner?

Edit: I looked back at your post history to see if there was any clue to what happened. Nope. However, with the title issues, past history and based on what you paid for the car, you did really, really well getting what you did for it.

Last edited by sea6speed; 03-13-2012 at 07:05 AM.
sea6speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:47 PM   #16
car2dan

My Ride: 1987 e30, 2003 e46
Money Shifted? ... IDK just a wild guess lol
car2dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, parts, shell, zhp