E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions
New members check-in, introduce yourselves, and post a picture of your BMW here!

Old 02-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
jonwrong

My Ride: 2002 325i
2002 325i in Orlando, FL - Plans for New-To-Me Car

Hi, everyone! I am new to owning a BMW. I just bought a 2002 325i from a good friend of mine. My girl had a 1992 Accord with over 200k miles, and it was just time for it to die. The car had one previous owner and is in great shape. 115k miles. It came with a tune, short shifter, headers/full exhaust, intake, and wheels. It has a few items to address, which I already have planned out. Advice is also welcome. I have already done a lot of research on the forum...

1. Traction control, brake, and abs lights are all on. Looks like I need to track down which wheel speed sensor is bad. I will likely replace one at a time. Any advice on diagnosing this is welcome. Speedometer and cruise are still operational.

2. Air bag light on. This happened when my friend turned the car on without reconnecting the driver's side door air bag when a window regulator was replaced. I already ordered an airbag reset tool. Hoping I don't have to buy a new door air bag.

3. Service Engine Light On. It is throwing a code for O2 sensors. It has headers and full exhaust, no cats. My friend told me the sensors are too far from one another. It throws the code after a reset every 2-3 weeks. I guess I will try moving the front and rear O2 bungs in relation to one another or buy a MIL eliminator (like I did for my mustang). Advice is welcome.

3. A/C fan fluctuation. It does the funny up and down a/c fan fluctuation. That looks like the resistor issue. Found a fix here; looks simple. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ht=final+stage

4. Headliner and pillars delaminating. The material on the a-pillars is long gone. The Bs and Cs are looking rough. The very back of the headliner is sagging a bit. I have reglued headliners before and may try this. I think I will just buy new OEM pillars covers. Looks like that isn't too expensive. Recommendations for places to purchase would be nice. Also, should I just get a new headliner?

5. Front Seats. The leather has obviously seen use and lost a lot of dye. There is a local genius that can redye and refinish like new. $250 for both front seats. I will post pics once it's done.

6. UUC Gauges. The gauge overlays do not light up. Could be a bad transformer/dimmer (or whatever it's called) driving the overlays. I might pull the overlays. I found a set for sale (new) on ebay, so I might grab those to get the transformer to power the overlays. My concern with pulling the lights is that the stockers may be in bad shape from years of being covered.

7. Center console. The rubberized black coating is sticky and old as I am sure may of you have seen. I found a great thread. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1430450

8. Wiper cowel is cracked. This looks like a common problem as well. I am going to pull this apart and order it after I see if I will need new clips. Advice on the best place to buy is appreciated.

9. Rear door triangle glass rubber. The rubber gasket for the small triangle glass on the sedan model is the only gasket issue. I need to find some information for pulling and replacing those gaskets. Advice is welcome here too.

10. Clear corner lights. One is showing moisture. I need to find a replacement or take it off, dry it well, and reseal it.

11. I will also be looking for a new shift knob (unless the one in there can be fixed). It is a little wiggly. New OEM floor mats. The car needs to be cleaned WELL. Clay bar, wax, shampoo carpets, etc.

Once these items are fixed, the car will be pretty damn close to perfect. It should last as a nice reliable daily driver for several years until I buy the next "epic" car for myself. Below are pics of the E46 as it sites and one or two of my pride any joy, 2000 Mustang GT Supercharged. Thanks for looking, and thanks in advance for the help.

jonwrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.