E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 60 votes, 4.25 average. Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #281
wildcat293

My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by spugeddy View Post
Took it for a test drive and it did not immediately shift into Reverse. Drove it around for about 5 minutes and it shifted into Reverse about 5 times in a row.
Clear evidence this is the solenoid. You are in luck! (sort of)
wildcat293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #282
PaulPaimE46

My Ride: 2000 328CI
YOU ARE THE MAN! omg im so lucky i found this post today, i was going to buy a new tranny Saturday i even spoke with the guy and gave me a nice deal lol, i just service my tranny: new fluid, new gasket, new solenoid and 1 Lucas stop slip just in case and my tranny is shifting like brand new! thanks for the advice
PaulPaimE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:39 PM   #283
tedfredrick

My Ride: 2001 325I
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulPaimE46 View Post
YOU ARE THE MAN! omg im so lucky i found this post today, i was going to buy a new tranny Saturday i even spoke with the guy and gave me a nice deal lol, i just service my tranny: new fluid, new gasket, new solenoid and 1 Lucas stop slip just in case and my tranny is shifting like brand new! thanks for the advice
I would have3 left out the stop slip but that is just me. The transmission engineers probably have a good idea of what should go in there. You don't know how that snake oil affects the valves ect.
tedfredrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #284
spugeddy

My Ride: 02 325i
still working...knocking//wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat293 View Post
After the ATF fluid change only, shifting has worked for a month....
spugeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #285
323guy

My Ride: 323, X3
I have a 2000 ( manufacture date of 09/99) E46 323iT. I just hit 115,000 miles. I got my car back from the dealer last Monday. I had taken it in for the no reverse problem and the dealer "suggested" replacing the solenoid as a "possible" fix. The problem I had been experiencing was sometimes reverse acts like a second neutral. But after I drive for like 10 minutes or so in Drive, reverse works again. What the heck?

Anyway, This happened again (*&^%$#@) last night even though it went into reverse several times just fine earlier yesterday.

Just looked at the Dealer receipt. They replaced three Solenoid valve on/o all with part # 24337504753 - and filter & fluid - DEALER DID replace the 24327532013 Pressure regulator,convert.lockup clutch.

Problem remains... apparently this same problem would exist with sticking values as well - the dealer tells me. Sweet!

Still goes into reverse when warm everytime.

Last edited by 323guy; 04-09-2012 at 06:41 PM.
323guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #286
spugeddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat293 View Post
After two solid months, and at least 4,000 miles, the reverse failed me for the first time since the fluid and filter change.

Drove 40 minutes this morning... went to park... backed in as habit "just in case". wouldn't not engage.

Left work 9 hrs later, did not engage reverse from cold start. Drover 45 minutes... then it worked three times in a row so far....

I have the solenoid in hand and will probably do that along with another fluid and filter of course.

Last edited by spugeddy; 04-20-2012 at 06:02 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:03 AM   #287
spugeddy

back to normal

Just had the one hiccup after the trans oil/filter change....went 4,000 miles without fail until last week. I have the solenoid and the oil/filter to change, but I might wait a little longer to see how long it will go....
Old 04-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #288
spugeddy

Quote:
Just had the one hiccup after the trans oil/filter change....went 4,000 miles without fail until last week. I have the solenoid and the oil/filter to change, but I might wait a little longer to see how long it will go....
happened one more time in about a two week period.... so I installed the TCC solenoid today and filter and 5 1/2 qts of new fluid.

SPend about 2 1/2 hours... took my time, and test drive went great... shifted 3 x into reverse no probelm... going to have to drive for a month or so before i am convinced this did anything though.

The 4,000 mile fluid was surprising red... not bright red, but decent.

At least I have 2/3 new oil in there now.

Lastly, while on jack stands, and after refill, shifting through the gears... I got a strong thunk! going into reverse about every other time... P_R_N_D_ 5 times pausing 5 seconds between shifts... it would give a strong clunk going into reverse. On the test drive it didn't replicate this thank God.

****EDIT I forgot to mention the business end of the old solenoid looked damaged... there was a half of what looked like a screen missing, and inside it was warped looking... I guess the missing parts were floating around the valve body....

Last edited by spugeddy; 05-01-2012 at 06:06 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:04 PM   #289
323guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323guy View Post
I have a 2000 ( manufacture date of 09/99) E46 323iT. I just hit 115,000 miles. I got my car back from the dealer last Monday. I had taken it in for the no reverse problem and the dealer "suggested" replacing the solenoid as a "possible" fix. The problem I had been experiencing was sometimes reverse acts like a second neutral. But after I drive for like 10 minutes or so in Drive, reverse works again. What the heck?

Anyway, This happened again (*&^%$#@) last night even though it went into reverse several times just fine earlier yesterday.

Just looked at the Dealer receipt. They replaced three Solenoid valve on/o all with part # 24337504753 - and filter & fluid - DEALER DID replace the 24327532013 Pressure regulator,convert.lockup clutch.

Problem remains... apparently this same problem would exist with sticking values as well - the dealer tells me. Sweet!

Still goes into reverse when warm every time.
well its been going into reverse when cold now. It did give me problems twice last week after driving 15 minutes... this never happened before. I am going to replace the fluid & fluid myself once the weather improves here. I need to search this site cause I remember coming across a DIY posting where the guy flushed the entire system by pulling a line going to the cooler I think.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:07 AM   #290
spugeddy

323guy,

I thought the 323's have the ZF transmission? Guess it depends on build date...Solenoid fix is for the GM's.

But, if you do have the GM, I would say the solenoid being replaced and you still have the symptoms is not a good sign for me or for you.... I think options are new valve body/ cleaned valve body,,,

I think if after replacing my solenoid, if I still get the reverse failure, I am probably going to shift it, as they say on Wheeler Dealers, and get a different car.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #291
FreshMint

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Just got this problem today on a 2000 323 Ci....thankfully my car as built in 08/99 so i'm hoping its just this solenoid.

I pushed it out of the spot and drove around for only 2-3min and no luck getting in into reverse after...i might just take it out on the freeway for a day and see if it works after that trip.

We'll see keep your fingers crossed for me!
FreshMint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #292
spugeddy

failed after 7 days of solenoid replacement... drove 40 minutes to work, would not engage as I tried to back in to parking spot.

Thinking the old solenoid was damaged at the tip and part of that plastic is loose and lodged in the bore. I tried to do a finger sweep technique with the old solenoid out but didn't feel anything...I will try to snap a pic of the old solenoid and see what you guys think
Old 05-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #293
wildcat293

Quote:
failed after 7 days of solenoid replacement... drove 40 minutes to work, would not engage as I tried to back in to parking spot.

Thinking the old solenoid was damaged at the tip and part of that plastic is loose and lodged in the bore. I tried to do a finger sweep technique with the old solenoid out but didn't feel anything...I will try to snap a pic of the old solenoid and see what you guys think
yours sounds more like a leak if the problem goes away when you top off fliud

check the cooler lines and the heat exchanger
Old 06-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #294
buddyl

My Ride: 323i
Worked for me. 2000 e46 built in 7/99 GM tranny.
buddyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #295
dodo34

My Ride: 320dA FL
Does this part only control the pressure of the reverse gear ?
dodo34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #296
wildcat293

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodo34 View Post
Does this part only control the pressure of the reverse gear ?
I had it affect forward and reverse, however most people see it affect reverse only.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:00 PM   #297
323guy

No longer having a no-reverse problem. Thank you very much.

Quote:
323guy,

I thought the 323's have the ZF transmission? Guess it depends on build date...Solenoid fix is for the GM's.

But, if you do have the GM, I would say the solenoid being replaced and you still have the symptoms is not a good sign for me or for you.... I think options are new valve body/ cleaned valve body,,,

I think if after replacing my solenoid, if I still get the reverse failure, I am probably going to shift it, as they say on Wheeler Dealers, and get a different car.
Yes my 9/99 build date has the GM tranny... according to the BMW dealer whom replaced all the solenoids in my tranny. Actually while I did experience probably 6 total no-reverse problems in April and May I haven't had an occurrence since.....and I am aware how often I use reverse these days...a lot everyday. This was the solution for me.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:50 AM   #298
vcoke

My Ride: 2005 325it touring
Read through this whole thread... Didn't see anyone that has posted a good source for rebuilt Valve Bodies...

I haven't personally used this service, but this looks very promising:
http://europeantransmissionscom.x-sh...cat=699&page=1
vcoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #299
csjr28

My Ride: 323i
323i/GM auto trans fluid

If its time to repair the GM tranny what type/spec fluid is recommended today? Thanks
cs
csjr28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:59 AM   #300
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by csjr28 View Post
If its time to repair the GM tranny what type/spec fluid is recommended today? Thanks
cs
see sig. second link

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
neilgotastickiedthread!, no reverse, reverse, tranny, transmission