E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 11:20 PM   #1
hybrid90

My Ride: 2011 335i
Smile ZHP Upgraded With ST Coilovers

Hi all!

Thought that I would put my two cents out there for anyone who's interested.

Today, I had the ST Coilovers installed on my ZHP Coupe to replace my aged suspension. I would like to thank Jurrien, Gilbert and Jason over at Modbargains for helping me out with all of my suspension questions and helping me to acquire the ST Coilovers. I would also like to thank Chris and Alfie over at Joey's Custom in Santa Maria for installing and adjusting the suspension. They did a great job and went out of their way to make sure I was happy with the install and adjustments.

Now, the results.

When they first pulled the car out of the install bay, it was slammed. And it wasn't even all the way down. As much as I loved the way it looked, it was just a bit too much. So we put it back on the jacks and raised it about 1/2-3/4". I was very happy with that, so we pulled it out of the bay again, and checked the measurements to be sure that it was even. After establishing that, they took it for a quick test drive to check for any rattles, noises, rubbing or "clunking". It was all good and tight. But one of the benefits of them taking it for the test drive, I got to see how it looked coming and going down the street. Just made me fall in love with the car all over again.

So, now I took the car for a quick spin. 30 miles later, through everything that I could put it through (freeway, high speed curves, low speed and climbing twisties, uneven pavement and rough road as well as in-town driving), I knew that I had made the right choice in suspension. It was tight without being bumpy and harsh, smooth without the floaty feeling and handled like it was on rails. Essentially, it handled like a ZHP. The only thing I noticed was that at low speeds in town (under 20 MPH), you could really feel the irregularities in the pavement, but I could live with that. I was worried that the suspension would be too bumpy and stiff, but even my wife commented that it was not too harsh and felt only slightly tighter than the factory ZHP suspension when she took the car for a quick run to the store.

Now I know that my stock suspension was badly in need of new shocks so you might think that this wasn't a good comparison, but I have recently driven a ZHP coupe that had not been modified in any way and only had 42,000 miles on the clock. That's actually how I knew that my suspension was in need of replacement. As for my modifications, the only thing different was that I am running the factory E92 Sport wheels which have the same specs as the factory ZHP alloys, with the exception of being slightly more aggressive offsets.

This weekend, I'm planning on doing a slightly extended test run to Santa Barbara through the San Marcos Pass (HWY 154) which is a combination of slight elevation drops and rises as well as easy curves which run along Lake Cachuma on the north side of the pass, and then long sweeping high speed curves on the south side coming into Santa Barbara. To me, this is a great test as it's not quite freeway speeds (55MPH most of the way), but still fast enough to enjoy pushing the car through the curves without REALLY breaking the law. Enough to really feel the car doing what it does best: Driving and handling the curves. This is SPECIFICALLY why I bought this car five years ago.

To anyone thinking of upgrading their suspension: SERIOUSLY consider the ST Coilovers. I do not think that you will be disappointed. Especially considering the price of these vs. a shock/spring combo. Very good ride, great handling, easy adjustment and the build quality is outstanding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2278.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	438542   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2286.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	438543   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2287.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	438544  
hybrid90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
ModBargains III
Sponsor

My Ride: E46
Thanks for everything! I'm glad you like the ST's!

Jurrian T. | Jurrian@ModBargains.com |(714) 582-3330
We Specialize In: BMW Brakes | BMW Suspension | BMW Parts | BMW Exhaust Experts | BMW Tail Lights |
BMW Wheels In Stock | BMW Intake Experts
Hours
: Mon - Fri 8:00am - 6:00pm / Saturday 8:00am - 5:00pm (PST)
Check out our Blog for updates & discounts!
ModBargains III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Lower the front more. Nice 330i. The 335 wheels look really clean on it.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:10 PM   #4
hybrid90

Now that the suspension has settled, I may drop it some more. My biggest concern with lowering the front aggressively was that it might put too much pressure on the front, causing it to be too firm up front. But the suspension is so nice, that I may take the chance.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:17 PM   #5
illestminimike

Just do it. Itll look way better.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:18 PM   #6
Gheybe

My Ride: C6 Z06
My friend with a 135i just got these last week. I've been hearing extremely good things about them.

Strongly considering these.
Gheybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #7
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid90 View Post
My biggest concern with lowering the front aggressively was that it might put too much pressure on the front, causing it to be too firm up front.
Not sure I understand what you're suggesting here.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
ModBargains.com
Sponsor

My Ride: E46 323ci / E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gheybe View Post
My friend with a 135i just got these last week. I've been hearing extremely good things about them.

Strongly considering these.
Hey Gheybe hit me up when you are ready to pull the trigger on the ST coilovers for your E46 vert. I do have quite a few customers in the San Diego and Orange county area that have gotten them installed and nothing but great feedback has came back.
Hours
: Mon - Fri 8:00am-6:00pm / Sat 8:00am - 5:00pm (PST)
Check out our Blog for updates and discounts!
ModBargains.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #9
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
nice review, these look like a nice set of coils
Old 03-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #10
illestminimike

Keep this review going. Seems a lot of people are interested in these coils. I am one of them. Curious to know how they hold up over time. If you have any problems with them, please post here.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #11
hybrid90

@ TxZHP04: What I was suggesting is that if I lower the front more than the back, then it will shift the weight forward and I'll no longer have the 50/50 weight split. I'm not sure if I'm correct in assuming that's what it is, but I do know that I've had that issue before with other vehicles where the front end starts to "bounce" with too much rake.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #12
hybrid90

Update

I have now had these coilovers on for three weeks.

After the first week, I had the alignment done. The coilovers themselves are sitting about 3/4"-1" from the lowest settings, and the alignment went very well. It added about .5 Degs of negative camber in the rear, and about .25 Deg of negative camber in the front, but everything went within factory specs.

I have also had three adults in the car with me, as well as about 100lbs. of cargo in the trunk, and experienced NO rubbing issues. And I am running factory 18" wheels with 34/37 offsets vs. the 43/46 offsets that the original ZHP wheels had. As for tires, I'm running the Potenza RE760's in the factory sizes, but they have a slightly wider footprint than the RE040's.

The handling is awesome, especially considering that now they have settled and they are now quite comfortable. There are a few corners on my way to work that are very uneven (intersections with drainage dips) and I just fly right through them as if they are perfectly smooth. The suspension just sticks like glue with almost NO bounce or unsettling. Those corners are actually more comfortable to take now than before. The normal ride is planted, but not harsh at all. Especially above 35MPH. Below that, you tend to feel the imperfections in the road just a bit more, but that is not a problem at all. After all, how often do you drive below 35MPH anyway?

I will again say: To anyone thinking of getting these, unless you need all the adjustments (for track and such), you will NOT be disappointed with these and I highly recommend these ST Coilovers. And the guys at ModBargains have been a great help.

If anyone has any specific questions, I will do what I can to answer them to the best of my ability as I know that not everyone looks for the same thing in a new suspension.

Last edited by hybrid90; 03-17-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:53 AM   #13
ac_2007

My Ride: F32 M4, E46 M3/325i
What is the kit number you installed?

I ordered the 90222, but I'm pretty sure those are green not yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
The e46 M3 is by far the most boring and worst M3 that BMW has made to date.
It's amazing to me that a non M E46 is such a beautiful car but the E46 M has never done much for me.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #14
ModBargains.com
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
What is the kit number you installed?

I ordered the 90222, but I'm pretty sure those are green not yellow
The ST coilovers (90222) we have in stock are yellow but if you do a search on google some of them come up as green. It shouldn't make a difference though as long as you ordered the specific ones for your car.
Hours
Old 04-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #15
ac_2007

My Ride: F32 M4, E46 M3/325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBargains.com View Post
The ST coilovers (90222) we have in stock are yellow but if you do a search on google some of them come up as green. It shouldn't make a difference though as long as you ordered the specific ones for your car.
Do you know if there is any difference between the two?

Seems some people have a rear-end clunk from what seems to be the springs. Just wondering about the type of feedback your company has received on this product so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
The e46 M3 is by far the most boring and worst M3 that BMW has made to date.
It's amazing to me that a non M E46 is such a beautiful car but the E46 M has never done much for me.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #16
328redleather

My Ride: 328ci white/red
looks great

2000 328ci alpine white on tannin red leather
328redleather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #17
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
I have them atm. Just slam them. I would say they are some soft springs. As the front is only 350lbs and rear is Progressive.

-Trip
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #18
Thotfulspot

My Ride: 2003 330Xi
Wish they made them for Xis.
Thotfulspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #19
ModBargains.com
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
Do you know if there is any difference between the two?

Seems some people have a rear-end clunk from what seems to be the springs. Just wondering about the type of feedback your company has received on this product so far.
Unless the springs were installed incorrectly then you should definitely not hear any kind of clunking noises. Double check all the bolts and the springs perches are nice and tight.

If you have any questions you can call me directly at 714 582 3330 ext 8004 or ask for Gilbert when you call in.

I have personally had many suspension set ups on my E46's and I will do my best to answer all questions.
Hours
Old 09-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #20
abdkhan1

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325ci
WHat are the spring rates (numbers) on your two front springs? also are you dropped all the way? Please let me know asap thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid90 View Post
Hi all!

Thought that I would put my two cents out there for anyone who's interested.

Today, I had the ST Coilovers installed on my ZHP Coupe to replace my aged suspension. I would like to thank Jurrien, Gilbert and Jason over at Modbargains for helping me out with all of my suspension questions and helping me to acquire the ST Coilovers. I would also like to thank Chris and Alfie over at Joey's Custom in Santa Maria for installing and adjusting the suspension. They did a great job and went out of their way to make sure I was happy with the install and adjustments.

Now, the results.

When they first pulled the car out of the install bay, it was slammed. And it wasn't even all the way down. As much as I loved the way it looked, it was just a bit too much. So we put it back on the jacks and raised it about 1/2-3/4". I was very happy with that, so we pulled it out of the bay again, and checked the measurements to be sure that it was even. After establishing that, they took it for a quick test drive to check for any rattles, noises, rubbing or "clunking". It was all good and tight. But one of the benefits of them taking it for the test drive, I got to see how it looked coming and going down the street. Just made me fall in love with the car all over again.

So, now I took the car for a quick spin. 30 miles later, through everything that I could put it through (freeway, high speed curves, low speed and climbing twisties, uneven pavement and rough road as well as in-town driving), I knew that I had made the right choice in suspension. It was tight without being bumpy and harsh, smooth without the floaty feeling and handled like it was on rails. Essentially, it handled like a ZHP. The only thing I noticed was that at low speeds in town (under 20 MPH), you could really feel the irregularities in the pavement, but I could live with that. I was worried that the suspension would be too bumpy and stiff, but even my wife commented that it was not too harsh and felt only slightly tighter than the factory ZHP suspension when she took the car for a quick run to the store.

Now I know that my stock suspension was badly in need of new shocks so you might think that this wasn't a good comparison, but I have recently driven a ZHP coupe that had not been modified in any way and only had 42,000 miles on the clock. That's actually how I knew that my suspension was in need of replacement. As for my modifications, the only thing different was that I am running the factory E92 Sport wheels which have the same specs as the factory ZHP alloys, with the exception of being slightly more aggressive offsets.

This weekend, I'm planning on doing a slightly extended test run to Santa Barbara through the San Marcos Pass (HWY 154) which is a combination of slight elevation drops and rises as well as easy curves which run along Lake Cachuma on the north side of the pass, and then long sweeping high speed curves on the south side coming into Santa Barbara. To me, this is a great test as it's not quite freeway speeds (55MPH most of the way), but still fast enough to enjoy pushing the car through the curves without REALLY breaking the law. Enough to really feel the car doing what it does best: Driving and handling the curves. This is SPECIFICALLY why I bought this car five years ago.

To anyone thinking of upgrading their suspension: SERIOUSLY consider the ST Coilovers. I do not think that you will be disappointed. Especially considering the price of these vs. a shock/spring combo. Very good ride, great handling, easy adjustment and the build quality is outstanding.
abdkhan1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
st coilovers, zhp